Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Vancouver's system is a subway in a way, but it is generally a suburban express system. Trips within the city are still generally by bus, bike, or car. The Canada line provides a bit of urbanlike service, but not much. The Canada line is also extremely low capacity, the trains are tiny. I know when I visited in May transit for inner city trips seemed extremely subpar compared to Toronto.

Last edited:
Public pressure mainly.

Chester is in the middle of the Danforth between Broadview and Pape. It would have been too far to walk between Broadview and Pape (I have done it) so I can see why Chester is open.,

Ellesmere was built as an intermediate station between Midland and Lawrence East. I really do not see the point of it because of how close it is to Midland but it was built alongside Kennedy Road amongst factories so I can only assume it has a purpose.

Glencairn serves a highly residential area so there was likely demand for it.

Bessarion is an enigma. It was built as an intermediate station but only now 13 years after opening is it seeing any real demand.

Essentially they are all intermediate stations that have had demand build up around them. No sense in closing them.

You got them all right except for Bessarion; that one was built for future demand (Concord Park Place). CPP hasn't really been built close enough to Bessarion yet to make the station extremely useful. Now that they're starting to build buildings west of the Canadian Tire, ridership should increase significantly.

My takeaway from this differs from Pembina's in that by most metrics Vancouver's system is a subway. And to top it off they built the more rapid transit than Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Mtl, and Toronto over those 20yrs. They're the standout, since all of it is subway.

The Canada line is worse than an LRT in terms of capacity, and the Toronto Subway lines have some of the highest train capacity in the world per car.

Report out on crowding on line 1 for the Jan 18 TTC mtg.

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...ports/6_Managing_Crowding_on_Line_1_Yonge.pdf

Of note is the hope that the TYSSE would reduce crowding on the Yonge side by 5%. No measurements available as to whether this has been achieved. (obviously its early)

The oft-stated hopes for ATC are also noted; w/the hope of cutting more than 20s btw trains by late 2019. Assuming senior management reads the same Steve Munro blog I do, I await a new terminal management plan to make this work.

For the future there is a re-do of Yonge-Bloor but no timeline.

Report out on crowding on line 1 for the Jan 18 TTC mtg.

http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...ports/6_Managing_Crowding_on_Line_1_Yonge.pdf

Of note is the hope that the TYSSE would reduce crowding on the Yonge side by 5%. No measurements available as to whether this has been achieved. (obviously its early)

The oft-stated hopes for ATC are also noted; w/the hope of cutting more than 20s btw trains by late 2019. Assuming senior management reads the same Steve Munro blog I do, I await a new terminal management plan to make this work.

For the future there is a re-do of Yonge-Bloor but no timeline.

The 5% figure can probably be increased with specific measures to divert ridership to the TYSSE from Yonge (e.g. free parking at TYSSE stations, express buses from Richmond Hill Centre to Highway 407 Station, YRT/TTC fare integration at VMC etc.)

In fact, the "express buses" I mentioned already exist: it's called GO Route 40. Unfortunately it only runs every 30 minutes even during rush hour and requires a GO fare...

GO trains go at least 100km from downtown in 4 routes. How much more do you need?
Where to start on this one? A lot, like other advanced cities. RER through the core in tunnel would be an excellent place to start. And not just terminated, but through-running, even if a terminal (say University and Queen) was an interim destination until further extended west. NYC, London, Paris, Berlin, Sydney, Melbourne, etc, etc have this. Subways per-se are now being eclipsed with far more ambitious and efficient ways to move people from the core of cities to the outlying regions without having to change the mode of transport to do it. Subways are incredibly expensive to build. Extensions of present lines are being done, as the investment is already sunk, but new lines are now preferably RER in tunnel running through to surface lines already extant.

@Richard White , I believe someone will do it. Both the current premier and the leader of Her Majesty's loyal opposition. Or we could just choke in traffic.
I agree, and it will be the province. They've already virtually taken over the DRL south in terms of overseeing the planning, and assumed completely the northern leg. And with the Feds, funding it all. RER emphasis will be reflected in the final plan. What hasn't been mentioned is the possibility/probability of P3 financing to do it far more ambitiously and sooner.

I posted the following on the Viva Rapidway thread, the roof was leaking?
Yikes. Even if that's due to frozen drain pipes, it's still a massive design flaw. Any further info on that appreciated.

Yeah, I mean the whole system (Van SkyTrain) is grade separated.

Vancouver's system is a subway in a way, but it is generally a suburban express system.

The Canada line is worse than an LRT in terms of capacity, and the Toronto Subway lines have some of the highest train capacity in the world per car.
Even for it's limitations in length of trains and capacity (at least one line being addressed for this now) it's vastly cheaper, faster and perhaps more apt for the geology than subways in Van. It's not that Van is better than Toronto so much as Toronto is a laggard compared to almost any world class city. And most aren't building subways per-se anymore. Certainly not for the distances Toronto proposes.

Here's a great analysis from a Japanese rail journal on how Paris learned from Tokyo. London, Sydney and others have learned from Paris in turn, as are many leading world cities. Toronto is learning from...?
[...]
In 1970, the Paris urban railway network was based on principles dating back to the turn of the century when the Paris metro was built. Commuter trains of French National Railways (SNCF) terminated at the Paris stations of Saint-Lazare, Montparnasse, Austerlitz, Lyon, Est and Nord and there was no line crossing Paris. The same situation applied to the Régie Autonome des Transports Parisiens (RATP) Sceaux commuter line serving the southern suburbs, which stopped at Luxembourg Station. The RATP Paris metro was mainly serving Paris and its suburban extensions were limited.
Moreover, SNCF and RATP were two distinctive public operators, running incompatible rolling stock on different gauges and standards; in practice, they were divided according to territory.
Despite this state of affairs, a major new project called RER (Réseau Express Régional) had been launched some years before with the aim of building commuter lines crossing the centre of Paris. The Master Plan approved in 1965 also included a northbound extension of the Sceaux Line to a new terminal with a transfer to Châtelet (Les Halles) new RER Central Station. The projects included in this scheme were granted major funding with the setting up of the new Ile-de-France regional authority. Construction of the east–west line through the centre of Paris (RER A) was proceeding quickly and there was an urgent need to decide the concept of the Châtelet (Les Halles) Central Station transfer between RER A and the extended Sceaux Line. However, two questions were delaying the project:
• Was it possible to conceive of cross-platform transfers between the RER A and RER B (extended Sceaux) lines?
• Might trains of RATP and SNCF one day use the same tunnel and would it be feasible to interconnect their networks?
These issues raised questions about well-established management practices and safety dating from the building of the first subway. However, solving these issues offered the potential of more economic design and more efficient services for users.
The second half of this article on the RER project (p. 38) by Mr Philippe Essig, who was in charge of these works at RATP, explains the importance of the issues and how they were resolved.
This first half explains the principles facing officials in charge of transport policies and urban planning. [...continues at length...]
http://www.ejrcf.or.jp/jrtr/jrtr23/F36_Sato.html

Yesterday I saw a bunch of Viva buses with "Subway Shuttle" displayed on the destination sign turning out of VMC. It seems to be training for drivers. Probably doesn't mean too much but thought I'd share.

On a different note, having had to get off at Finch West allowed me to have a second look at that station. The thing that stuck out to me was how poorly finished the whole station was. Compared to say the 407 station, this was outright sloppy. The caulking job around Finch West was just pitiful.

Even for it's limitations in length of trains and capacity (at least one line being addressed for this now) it's vastly cheaper, faster and perhaps more apt for the geology than subways in Van. It's not that Van is better than Toronto so much as Toronto is a laggard compared to almost any world class city. And most aren't building subways per-se anymore. Certainly not for the distances Toronto proposes.

Do we really need another type of Rolling stock in the TTC? We saw how ICTS maintenance was hellish because cars had to be shipped to Greenwood, and having a broader range of parts makes no sense for rolling stock because each rail company's parts are unique. Also, the Canada line is half Bridge (not viaduct) and Subway, and it's maintenance costs are astronomical because it's operated under a P3. I should also note that Toronto is like 4-5* that of Vancouver (greater Vancouver is 1/3 the size). The extra capacity on new lines may not be needed now, but it will be eventually after the extension is built.

This is really misleading of YRT. At the press conference with Del Duca at the VMC Vivastation, there was a question about if the Vivastation will be completed by the subway opening. The person responded by "yes" and that it would be "fully operational". I don't think elevators, escalators, roof, platform, and heated shelters being under construction is "fully operational".

vmc caulk.PNG

Attachments

• vmc caulk.PNG
    vmc caulk.PNG
    76.5 KB · Views: 382
I have a suspicion that Metrolinx has a long term goal of getting out of Yorkdale. GO Service to and from Yorkdale is slowly being reduced.
It seems somewhat redundant with Highway 407 station being much more reliable to access. I'd think that ultimately, they'd want to avoid the entire 401 corridor east of 427 and west of 404.

Q: "I've looked around and it doesn't look like it'll be ready by December 17th, will it be ready? Fully operational?"

A: "It will indeed."

Q: "Fully operational, everything will be finished?"

A: "It will be done."

Um what are these lies?

Last edited:
The 5% figure can probably be increased with specific measures to divert ridership to the TYSSE from Yonge (e.g. free parking at TYSSE stations, express buses from Richmond Hill Centre to Highway 407 Station, YRT/TTC fare integration at VMC etc.)

In fact, the "express buses" I mentioned already exist: it's called GO Route 40. Unfortunately it only runs every 30 minutes even during rush hour and requires a GO fare...

Simple reason. 36 bus has over 40,000 riders per day. A large majority of them will no longer be on the Yonge line.

This is really misleading of YRT. At the press conference with Del Duca at the VMC Vivastation, there was a question about if the Vivastation will be completed by the subway opening. The person responded by "yes" and that it would be "fully operational". I don't think elevators, escalators, roof, platform, and heated shelters being under construction is "fully operational".

View attachment 132112

Agreed on most points but the heated shelters were, in fact, operational on opening day, December 17th. I was in one of them. At least the one on the eastbound platform was working, can't speak to the one on the westbound platform. They are very weak compared to the GO ones, somebody asked me if there's any way to turn them on, and was surprised when I said they were on. Not just at VMC though, the one at Creditstone was almost the exact same--VMC is a bit worse because of the motion activated sliding doors, people standing near the door inside and outside the shelter kept opening the door venting all of the heat out to the point it was barely any warmer than outside.

Back