Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

The mistake is building a form of transit that drains the available coffers to the detriment of far more demanding projects and a better way to deliver the service.

Toronto has over-invested in subways at tremendous cost: Editorial
A Pembina Institute study shows Toronto has over-invested in subways at tremendous cost while Vancouver, Calgary and Ottawa created more transit for less money.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/edi..._in_subways_at_tremendous_cost_editorial.html

My takeaway from this differs from Pembina's in that by most metrics Vancouver's system is a subway. And to top it off they built the more rapid transit than Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Mtl, and Toronto over those 20yrs. They're the standout, since all of it is subway.

Reactions: BMO
The thing is Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver are different cities compared to Toronto. With the exception of Vancouver none have the demand for a subway.
Subways are falling out of favour in many larger cities than Toronto.
Extending regional rail networks through the core is now the emphasis of many if not most.
THIS makes sense. Connecting the Bloor-Danforth line to Square One and STC would actually be a good thing. You could get people from one of the biggest transit hubs in the 905 to another regional hub in the east end of Toronto.

Same goes with Line 1, you could catch a ton of people coming in from Markham and Thornhill if you extended it to Richmond Hill.
And who's going to pay for it, and the overloaded subways when they reach Toronto so Torontonians can't ride them because of it. What do you think "relief" is all about?
My takeaway from this differs from Pembina's in that by most metrics Vancouver's system is a subway.
Fair point! They build virtual subways at a fraction of the cost.

Subways are falling out of favour in many larger cities than Toronto.
Extending regional rail networks through the core is now the emphasis of many if not most.
And whol's going to pay for it, and the overloaded subways when they reach Toronto so Torontonians can't ride them because of it. What do you think "relief" is all about?
Fair point! They build virtual subways at a fraction of the cost.

GO trains go at least 100km from downtown in 4 routes. How much more do you need?

GO's Barrie express buses should stop there and possibly Ontario Northland. The terminal could be a second Yorkdale.

Ontario Northland buses could stop there. Could even replace Yorkdale, and then have an express down to the future Toronto Bus Terminal.

VMC isn't free parking, as the lot is privately operated, from my understanding.
But what about the parking lot at the southwest corner of Commerce and Interchange Way and 7? It was free last time I was there. And grossly underused.

Highway 407, Finch West, and Pioneer Village stations still have free parking for a couple of months.

I waited 17 minutes for a southbound train at Downsview Park today, finally arrived 2:28 PM. No idea when the previous one had rolled through. When it arrived almost every seat was taken, LOTS of standees. After Wilson there was barely any standing room left. TTCnotices indicates no service disruptions occurred, but I was under the impression service on the extension was every 5 minutes or better...evidently not. Heard lots of reports on twitter from people trying to get to vaughan that you usually have to wait for about 5 or 6 trains to short turn at St Clair W, Glencairn, Wilson, and Sheppard W before one finally goes into the extension. Terrible service management. If this is the best the TTC can do they should just shut down the extension and bring the buses back, trains every 20 minutes isn't worth the cost of maintaining the stations.

As much as I hate to say it we have as much chance of getting a DRL built as we do of successfully juggling active chainshaws without winding up in the hospital.

It's possible but do you think someone will actually do it?
@Richard White , I believe someone will do it. Both the current premier and the leader of Her Majesty's loyal opposition. Or we could just choke in traffic.

I waited 17 minutes for a southbound train at Downsview Park today, finally arrived 2:28 PM. No idea when the previous one had rolled through. When it arrived almost every seat was taken, LOTS of standees. After Wilson there was barely any standing room left. TTCnotices indicates no service disruptions occurred, but I was under the impression service on the extension was every 5 minutes or better...evidently not. Heard lots of reports on twitter from people trying to get to vaughan that you usually have to wait for about 5 or 6 trains to short turn at St Clair W, Glencairn, Wilson, and Sheppard W before one finally goes into the extension. Terrible service management. If this is the best the TTC can do they should just shut down the extension and bring the buses back, trains every 20 minutes isn't worth the cost of maintaining the stations.
I tried taking the extension today at the end afternoon rush hour (5:30) from King and there were three times where the train stopped for over 5 minutes EACH. The first was before Sheppard West, the next was before Downsview Park, and the last was before Vaughan Metropolitan Centre. I was getting impatient as I was already taking a detour (would have taken the Richmond Hill Line).

Some ridership I noticed was that Downsview Park had ~10 people get off, Finch West had 20+ people get off and ~10 get on, York University had 30+ get off and 10+ get on, Pioneer Village had ~5 on and ~5 off, Highway 407 had 10+ get off, and VMC had 20+ get off (and 0 on of course).

I posted the following on the Viva Rapidway thread, the roof was leaking?

GO Service to and from Yorkdale is slowly being reduced.

It is? Where would 401 buses stop then? Maybe the office building above is being redeveloped and they're planning a new terminal, but I can't see them pull out of Yorkdale entirely.

It is? Where would 401 buses stop then? Maybe the office building above is being redeveloped and they're planning a new terminal, but I can't see them pull out of Yorkdale entirely.

York Mills Station?

A lot of GO buses already go to both stations.

My takeaway from this differs from Pembina's in that by most metrics Vancouver's system is a subway. And to top it off they built the more rapid transit than Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa, Mtl, and Toronto over those 20yrs. They're the standout, since all of it is subway.
Yeah, I mean the whole system is grade separated. For all intents and purposes the Skytrain is essentially a subway. Not to mention the soil and other realities make building transit there cheaper. Let's also not forget all the investment pumped into two of those cities mentioned for winter Olympics.

Back