Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

That would be completely competing with the subway. I'd say Viva Purple West (YRT Route 100/101) is only in place (until September/November 2018 officially) until some sort of fare integration between YRT and TTC is made, then people will just use Viva Orange and transfer at VMC. Also, that wouldn't solve the GO Transit issue at Highway 407 Station, as transferring from GO to YRT is still (though lower) $1.00.

^^^ It's not competing with the subway, because riders to/from stations north of York U are avoiding the subway to save the double fare, necessitating GO and YRT buses to continue serving the campus. A free shuttle would eliminate that.

Is it common for people to call Pioneer Village Station Steeles West Station. I know it makes a lot of sense and should have been the final name, but do the public actually know that they are the same thing?

I don’t know. All I know is that I’m irrationally wedded to the “Steeles West” name. Plus whenever someone mentions Pioneer Village, I have to take half a second to figure out where the heck in the city that is. Same thing with the Crosstown station names.. what the heck is a Cedarvale?

I don’t know. All I know is that I’m irrationally wedded to the “Steeles West” name. Plus whenever someone mentions Pioneer Village, I have to take half a second to figure out where the heck in the city that is. Same thing with the Crosstown station names.. what the heck is a Cedarvale?

Over time we will figure it out. For new people to the city where is Museum? Or Osgoode? They learn. Or use Google Maps. Not rocket science.

I recall some hair brained nonsense going on at the commission that lead to the name.

And they almost succeeded in renaming Finch West to "University Heights", because a councillor didn't want the name to be associated with Jane & Finch. Seriously.

Over time we will figure it out. For new people to the city where is Museum? Or Osgoode? They learn. Or use Google Maps. Not rocket science.

Place names arent something people should have to figure out. They’re navigational tools, should be intuitive and instantly identifiable.

In a city such as Toronto, with a near perfect grid system, if your place name requires people to consult other resources to figure out where it is, you probably didn’t pick the best name. People will get lost and misdirected because of these names.

And they almost succeeded in renaming Finch West to "University Heights", because a councillor didn't want the name to be associated with Jane & Finch. Seriously.

So why did the councillor who wanted Steeles West changed to Pioneer Village get his/her way?

If they made Steeles West elevated over Steeles itself it would have cost less and you’d actually get to see Pioneer Village.

Same thing with the Crosstown station names.. what the heck is a Cedarvale?

Cedarvale will probably lead to confusion as it is a street pretty much right behind Woodbine Station. Why name things properly when you can pander to the local BIAs and confuse everyone!

Back