Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

This is not my video
But it shows how busy YU station has become.

The pedestrian flows in the stations are terrible. It took you two whole minutes to get from the train to the surface... and York University is the most pedestrian friendly of the six stations on the extension.

I am so concerned of the implications that these modern station designs will have for the Relief Line and Scarborough Centre. We're potentially squandering billions of dollars in economic benefits due to the poor designs of these stations. If the Relief Line's pedestrian accessibility is as poor as the TYSSE stations, we could be looking at anywhere from two to four minutes added onto trip times, which will eliminate a huge portion of the Yonge relief potential of the DRL.

And Scarborough Centre (subway) Station, which exists primarily to eliminate the Kennedy transfer, will introduce transfers even worse than on the TYSSE. Not only is that station going to be deeper than any other stations on the network (including TYSSE), but there's also a significant horizontal walking distance to reach the bus terminal, once passengers reach the surface. The Scarborough Centre transfer might even make the current Kennedy transfer look like a joke.

It's probably too late to fix Scarborough Centre Station. But I hope the Relief Line team is paying close attention to the mistakes of the TYSSE design. I have a hard time believing that whatever benefits come from these deep bore tunnels justifies adding minutes onto 65 Million annual DRL trips.

The pedestrian flows in the stations are terrible. It took you two whole minutes to get from the train to the surface... and York University is the most pedestrian friendly of the six stations on the extension.

I am so concerned of the implications that these modern station designs will have for the Relief Line and Scarborough Centre. We're potentially squandering billions of dollars in economic benefits due to the poor designs of these stations. If the Relief Line's pedestrian accessibility is as poor as the TYSSE stations, we could be looking at anywhere from two to four minutes added onto trip times, which will eliminate a huge portion of the Yonge relief potential of the DRL.

And Scarborough Centre (subway) Station, which exists primarily to eliminate the Kennedy transfer, will introduce transfers even worse than on the TYSSE. Not only is that station going to be deeper than any other stations on the network (including TYSSE), but there's also a significant horizontal walking distance to reach the bus terminal, once passengers reach the surface. The Scarborough Centre transfer might even make the current Kennedy transfer look like a joke.

It's probably too late to fix Scarborough Centre Station. But I hope the Relief Line team is paying close attention to the mistakes of the TYSSE design. I have a hard time believing that whatever benefits come from these deep bore tunnels justifies adding minutes onto 65 Million annual DRL trips.
I’d say new “automated entrances” (Fare gates with Presto) are needed at the edges of the platform. There’s already emergency exits at those locations, but and extra one or two entrances will greatly improve passenger flow.

The escalator from the platform seems to be down in the video. Also a lot of slow walkers (more than usual - perhaps because of the cold?). Normally it should be a bit quicker.

How long does it take to get out of, say, Osgoode station today? Probably at least a minute. The only station I could think of that would be truly fast to exit is Dundas, as there is no concourse level.

Really? Most of the Line 2 stations are very quick to exit. So are a large chunk of the Line 1 stations. York Mills, Wilson and Finch are the only stations, off the top of my head, with as poor pedestrian circulation as the TYSSE stations. Scarborough Centre and DRL should be worse than all three of them.

And mind that YU Station probably has the best pedestrian circulation of all the new stations. Finch West, Vaughan Centre, Steels West are all significantly more combersome to navigate.

Last edited:
I thought the buses were supposed to banned from the commons and moved to the perimeter terminal.
That's only for TTC buses. GO Transit buses are staying in the York U Commons until some sort of REAL fare integration or public acceptance of buses terminating at the Highway 407 Station Bus Terminal occurs. The $1.50 off is a good start, but the extra travel/transfer time may only be worth a "free" transfer, whether it be paid by the Province or paid by students in their tuition.

Really? Most of the Line 2 stations are very quick to exit. So are a large chunk of the Line 1 stations. York Mills, Wilson and Finch are the only stations, off the top of my head, with as poor pedestrian circulation as the TYSSE stations. Scarborough Centre and DRL should be worse than all three of them.

And mind that YU Station probably has the best pedestrian circulation of all the stations. Finch West, Vaughan Centre, Steel[e]s West are all significantly more combersome to navigate.
Is it common for people to call Pioneer Village Station Steeles West Station. I know it makes a lot of sense and should have been the final name, but do the public actually know that they are the same thing?

That's only for TTC buses. GO Transit buses are staying in the York U Commons until some sort of REAL fare integration or public acceptance of buses terminating at the Highway 407 Station Bus Terminal occurs. The $1.50 off is a good start, but the extra travel/transfer time may only be worth a "free" transfer, whether it be paid by the Province or paid by students in their tuition.

I think YRT should run a free shuttle bus between VMC and York U. Or maybe the university itself could run one. That would get all the buses off campus except the shuttle.

FYI, one can now support her or his favourite new station by purchasing a mug from the TTC Shop: https://www.ttcshop.ca/collections/drinkware (looking forward to zero 401 mugs being sold).

upload_2018-1-9_10-53-26.png

upload_2018-1-9_10-53-39.png

upload_2018-1-9_10-54-5.png

upload_2018-1-9_10-54-16.png

upload_2018-1-9_10-54-28.png

upload_2018-1-9_10-54-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-9_10-53-26.png
    upload_2018-1-9_10-53-26.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 224
  • upload_2018-1-9_10-53-39.png
    upload_2018-1-9_10-53-39.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 231
  • upload_2018-1-9_10-54-5.png
    upload_2018-1-9_10-54-5.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 235
  • upload_2018-1-9_10-54-16.png
    upload_2018-1-9_10-54-16.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 224
  • upload_2018-1-9_10-54-28.png
    upload_2018-1-9_10-54-28.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 252
  • upload_2018-1-9_10-54-40.png
    upload_2018-1-9_10-54-40.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 227
Is it common for people to call Pioneer Village Station Steeles West Station. I know it makes a lot of sense and should have been the final name,

I suspect it was renamed because the TTC felt the lack of a Steeles station on the Yonge line would confuse some people.

I think YRT should run a free shuttle bus between VMC and York U. Or maybe the university itself could run one. That would get all the buses off campus except the shuttle.
That would be completely competing with the subway. I'd say Viva Purple West (YRT Route 100/101) is only in place (until September/November 2018 officially) until some sort of fare integration between YRT and TTC is made, then people will just use Viva Orange and transfer at VMC. Also, that wouldn't solve the GO Transit issue at Highway 407 Station, as transferring from GO to YRT is still (though lower) $1.00.

I suspect it was renamed because the TTC felt the lack of a Steeles station on the Yonge line would confuse some people.
That was definitely the case, but it can't be that bad.

Kind of late now, but having a Downsview Station and a Downsview Park Station really shouldn't be a problem. If instead it was Downsview North Station, it would make some more sense, with a Downsview West Station if Line 4 was extended past Allen/Dufferin. But all this creates unnecessary "confusion" that has a "steep learning curve". So many other cities have stations named by direction in the same area, why is Toronto so special and needs "unique" station names?

Also, Downsview Park is a unique area, not a street or road, so unlike Lawrence West, Lawrence, and Lawrence East, the stations would be relatively close to one another, rather than being 4/10/14 km apart.

Back