Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

The criticism will come when we see how well or poorly utilized this investment is.
Like the Sheppard Stubway? Which TYSSE station has the lowest projected ridership? I would think York University will be most used, Pioneer Village and Finch West will be the same, then Highway 407, then Downsview Park, and finally Vaughan Metropolitan Centre will be the least utilized. This is my guess, but I would like to see official projections if they exist.

My guess is Downsview Park. Vaughan Centre will be lowish use at first, but should see healthy growth. Highway 407 and Downsview Park will likely languish forever as low use stations, especially Downsview park which lacks any real transit connections. The vast majority of its ridership is going to come from PPUDOs.

Finch West, York U, and Pioneer Village will all be busy. The other three, less so.

Like the Sheppard Stubway? Which TYSSE station has the lowest projected ridership? I would think York University will be most used, Pioneer Village and Finch West will be the same, then Highway 407, then Downsview Park, and finally Vaughan Metropolitan Centre will be the least utilized. This is my guess, but I would like to see official projections if they exist.

Here's my guess in order of usage:

1. York U (30,000+ riders). Busiest station on Spadina line north of Bloor.
2. Finch West (Finch Rocket users)
3. VMC will be heavily used by the bus system in York Region. Plus the offices nearby
4. Pioneer (Jane Rocket).
5. 407 (slowly builds with GO Bus system dropping people here)
6. Downsview

What I'm also interested in is the drop in Sheppard West (f.k.a. Downsview) traffic. Of the 38,000 people who use this station how many will be after?
21,000 York U Rocket users.
7,000 York U 106
10,000 Downview & Keele (107 & 108)
That's 38,000 users.

In total I'm estimating 50,000 riders per day on TYSSE. Without any future growth.

Highway 407 and Downsview Park will likely languish forever as low use stations, especially Downsview park which lacks any real transit connections.

Yeah, it's so weird that trains on the GO Barrie Line, with upcoming 15-minute AD2W RER service, will just run through the station platform without stopping.

Here's my guess in order of usage:

1. York U (30,000+ riders). Busiest station on Spadina line north of Bloor.
2. Finch West (Finch Rocket users)
3. VMC will be heavily used by the bus system in York Region. Plus the offices nearby
4. Pioneer (Jane Rocket).
5. 407 (slowly builds with GO Bus system dropping people here)
6. Downsview

What I'm also interested in is the drop in Sheppard West (f.k.a. Downsview) traffic. Of the 38,000 people who use this station how many will be after?
21,000 York U Rocket users.
7,000 York U 106
10,000 Downview & Keele (107 & 108)
That's 38,000 users.

In total I'm estimating 50,000 riders per day on TYSSE. Without any future growth.

I can see bus passengers coming in from Brampton using the VMC Station.

In addition, 2,811 parking spaces will be available. Mostly folks from Barrie and south. If 1.3 people per car, that makes it 3,640. If we use 1.6 number instead, that means a "whopping" 4,498 passengers (enough to fill four trains, maybe, if they all arrive at the same time).

So TYSSE will have more riders on opening day than Sheppard has increased for 15 years? Of course, this is mainly due to the line actually going somewhere and has actual transit connections at every station.

But busy enough to warrant a subway?

My guess is Downsview Park. Vaughan Centre will be lowish use at first, but should see healthy growth. Highway 407 and Downsview Park will likely languish forever as low use stations, especially Downsview park which lacks any real transit connections. The vast majority of its ridership is going to come from PPUDOs.

Finch West, York U, and Pioneer Village will all be busy. The other three, less so.

So TYSSE will have more riders on opening day than Sheppard has increased for 15 years? Of course, this is mainly due to the line actually going somewhere and has actual transit connections at every station.

About the same as Sheppard (52,000 in 2015). But more than the SRT (41,000).

But busy enough to warrant a subway?

Probably busy enough to York U. And if VMC does get built up as expected it would need a subway as well (in 10 years). Building transit and then building a transit neighbourhood. Done in the right order (unlike QQ East).

The real problem is the overbuilding of the intermediate stations. Huge vanity projects that cost hundreds of millions and so few people will actually use them.

Yup, VMC is benefiting from an insanely hot condo market there right now. It was a risky bet to sink all that money to build a subway to empty fields, but the bet seems to be paying off.

Can someone remind us why Downsview Park needed a station? I don't get it. The station area is desolate. There are no connecting bus routes or development in the area. This could very well wind up being the next Bessarion.

Yup, VMC is benefiting from an insanely hot condo market there right now. It was a risky bet to sink all that money to build a subway to empty fields, but the bet seems to be paying off.

Building subways to attract condo development is a waste. Condos hardly generate transit ridership (relative to commercial spaces), and I'm sure those condo units would've easily been arbored elsewhere in the GTHA without investing hundreds of millions of dollars in subways. This risk bet will not pay off until VMC has a significant amount of commercial development (and it seems to be on the right track in that regard).

Can someone remind us why Downsview Park needed a station? I don't get it. The station area is desolate. There are no connecting bus routes or development in the area. This could very well wind up being the next Bessarion.

Does nobody on this forum except for me know that Downsview Park is also a GO station, which will have trains running through it every 15 minutes all day in both directions once RER is live, and which currently has ~hourly trains weekends and will soon have hourly AD2W service weekdays?

About the same as Sheppard (52,000 in 2015). But more than the SRT (41,000).

The traffic on this extension is going to be heavily weighted towards hours, it seems. 7,500 pphpd with only 52,000 daily riders. In comparison, the Eglinton Crosstown will have westbound peak ridership of pphpd 7,500, and eastbound of 5,500, but it's daily ridership will be 180,000. The Eglinton Crosstown will be full all day, while the Spadina extension looks to be virtually unused outside of rush hours.

The last time the TTC had a subway line with no non-peak ridership (University Line), they shut it down during late evenings and weekends (not suggesting this is a good idea. The FWLRT and YorkU need to be served with something).

Last edited:
Can someone remind us why Downsview Park needed a station?

As much as it is a void they still use it for various events and concerts, I do believe it is also an Urban National Park or something to that effect. To that end, I presume they decided to put a station there for all the hoards of people potentially going to events there. IIRC when Downsview was built in the 1990s it was designed to allow in the range of 10000 people per hour to pass through the station on the way to Downsview Park events and concert.

The same thinking likely applies to the Downsview Park station. When I went to the SARS concert in 2003 it was a zoo trying to get out of there. We had to walk down the Allen to get to Downsview Park and on our way back we gave up as 450,000 people were leaving. It was a madhouse and it was not the first time. World Youth Day along with other major events there proved you need transit to make it a viable location.

Back