Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Beginning on Monday, September 18, York University Station will be handed over to TTC Operations by the station’s construction contractor.

On Monday morning, construction crews will remove all the fencing around the subway station, which will open more pedestrian areas at the Harry W. Arthurs Common.

The subway station will remain closed to the public until revenue service begins in December. For safety purposes, access to the station and track level is restricted to authorized personnel only. The third rail on the extension is electrified for testing of the Automatic Train Control (ATC) signal system and subway train trial runs. The TTC’s security system and cameras are fully functioning and trespassers will be prosecuted.

The six-station, 8.6-km extension of Line 1 will run from the current terminus at Sheppard West Station through York University and into York Region, ending at the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre at Hwy. 7 and Jane St.

The full notice is available on our website here.

Sept 16
Had a look a York Station and a hour of work a best to remove the fencing from both entrance and the west side on Monday. Everything is wide open to the public now.

Finch Station
Repeat after me:
Who Said Finch Will Be Finish This Month?? Who Said Finch Will Be Finish This Month??

The Finch Station will not be completed by the end of Sept. The Finch Station will not be finish by the end of Sept.

The Finch Station will be completed by the end of Nov. The Finch Station will be completed by the end of Nov.

There will be no open house for the station. There will be no open house for the station.

The Finch Parking Lot Will be finish By Summer 2018. The Finch Parking Lot Will be finish By Summer 2018.

The last time I visited the station 6 month ago, it was going to be tight to get it completed as plan. Going by the station for the Open House of the 2 station, didn't look like much had change from my last visit.

Flashing and the exterior will not be finish this month and a lot of interior work to be done from what I could see. Now the curbs have been pour for the station and driveway, concrete can be pour for the bus bays and the loop. The east-west road will be pave from what I saw.

The same contractor still doing the work with Garrison Construction doing Keele St on both side of Finch.

Photos to follow

Last edited:
Sept 16
36883539700_1bfd3a9a73_b.jpg

36883520040_b9e06c4b2c_b.jpg

37108887702_a9a565eb27_b.jpg

37108882812_baf4ff98e2_b.jpg

37108873792_2791a5016b_b.jpg

36883477370_a5fed1edeb_b.jpg

37138626361_3b1b92231c_b.jpg

36466551703_9f5b9f629e_b.jpg

"Vaughan Metropolitan Centre Station - 3150 Highway 7. Parking information to come."

Is there something something about a "Highway" designation that makes even the TTC forget "West"?

Highway 7 doesn't officially have east & west designations. Street addresses are just "XXXX Highway 7", and the city name tells you whether it's way east or way west. Some businesses will add a direction for clarity, but the municipal governments usually don't (Markham Village Library, for example, is just "6301 Highway 7"). It's no different than how you tell the difference between the community center at 160 Avenue Road in Richmond Hill and the condo building at 160 Avenue Road in Toronto.

What's interesting is that there's a one-way BRT lane that connects the YRT terminal to Jane Street. I wonder if this is for entry or exit? Why can't it be both?

There's no need for the BRT lane to be two-way. The 501A (the route that'll be using it) doesn't come south on Jane Street. It uses Keele, presumably to avoid making left turns. There is the planned YRT bus #20, but it's probably going to be a very infrequent one (just like the 1 and 99) because it's almost completely duplicated by the subway and the new Viva service.

Highway 7 doesn't officially have east & west designations. Street addresses are just "XXXX Highway 7", and the city name tells you whether it's way east or way west. Some businesses will add a direction for clarity, but the municipal governments usually don't (Markham Village Library, for example, is just "6301 Highway 7"). It's no different than how you tell the difference between the community center at 160 Avenue Road in Richmond Hill and the condo building at 160 Avenue Road in Toronto.

I didn't know that. But if Major Mack, which runs through different cities, has east-west designations, why not 7?

I didn't know that. But if Major Mack, which runs through different cities, has east-west designations, why not 7?

It may be because of the previous designations.

Years ago a section of Highway 7 ran all the way to Lake Scugog and Highway 115 from Utica . It was designated Highway 7A.

Perhaps this explains it?

Major Mackenzie (My dad used to call it Mister Mackenzie) is a York Regional Route, specifically York Regional Route 25, while Hwy 7 (is) was an Ontario Highway.

For fun here is a link to a map of the old alignment for hwy 7.
http://www.thekingshighway.ca/MAPS/Hwy7map.htm

Last edited:
But if Major Mack, which runs through different cities, has east-west designations, why not 7?

Major Mackenzie has east & west designations because it's in Richmond Hill. You need the directions to tell the difference between an address at Yonge & Trench and one at Yonge & Newkirk, since they're both in the same city.

Major Mackenzie (My dad used to call it Mister Mackenzie) is a York Regional Route, specifically York Regional Route 25, while Hwy 7 is an Ontario Highway.

You sure about that? In Brampton it is Peel Regional Road 107.....I just assumed that once it left Brampton to the East it became York Regional road "X"...would be strange (IMO) to have the Peel section of the road downloaded but not the York region section.

Back