Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Apparently, only Downsview Park Station and York University Station will have open doors in the end of May.
It was a given Downsview Park was to be one station open when I saw it in Jan.

It was a toss up as to which other was going to be for the other and since this line is mostly for York University, not surprise it was chosen over the others.

You will still get a first hand look at all the station before they open in October when they will have open house for them.

TTC's Downsview Station becomes Sheppard West

April 20, 2017

Starting May 7, TTC's Downsview Station will be renamed Sheppard West Station in advance of the opening of the Line 1 extension to York Region later this year. Customers will begin to see "Sheppard West" on signs and maps over the course of the next few weeks as the transition takes place.

The name change is being made to accommodate the new Downsview Park Station, located inside Parc Downsview Park. Use of "West" on stations with street names is commonplace on the system, making this change consistent with current practice.

Among the items being changed or revised for the name change:
- 30 signs in and around Downsview Station
- 123 destination signs in other TTC stations
- 161 platform 'You Are Here' maps in stations
- 3,184 maps on subway trains
- 4,000 maps in transit shelters
- 250,000 Ride Guides

Changes also have to be made to passenger information systems and announcements in trains as well as the TTC's back-of-house and service planning systems, and the Transit Control Centre.

The name change will cost approximately $800,000, the majority of which ($600,000) is related to the reprogramming of Bombardier's proprietary announcement system on the Toronto Rocket subways. That reprogramming includes both this name change and the addition of the six new station announcements that will be needed when the full extension to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre opens.

The TTC thanks customers for their patience during this transition period.

The name change will cost approximately $800,000, the majority of which ($600,000) is related to the reprogramming of Bombardier's proprietary announcement system on the Toronto Rocket subways. That reprogramming includes both this name change and the addition of the six new station announcements that will be needed when the full extension to Vaughan Metropolitan Centre opens.
Good grief - Bombardier writes some pretty good contracts don't they!

Hopefully someone has enough sense to add Scarborough Centre in the programming too at the same time - as I doubt there'll be any other extensions/lines for these trains for many years.

Good grief - Bombardier writes some pretty good contracts don't they!

Hopefully someone has enough sense to add Scarborough Centre in the programming too at the same time - as I doubt there'll be any other extensions/lines for these trains for many years.
Thats what you get for putting all your eggs in one basket and going to a sole supplier when there more than one that can do the job.

Add $$ for any other changes

Oh, and the extension is going to be opened on New Year's Eve of this year (the latest possible day of the year that is still 2017 in Toronto).

They should push it to NYD so the NYE countdown coincides with the opening like New York did a few months ago

The name change is being made to accommodate the new Downsview Park Station, located inside Parc Downsview Park. Use of "West" on stations with street names is commonplace on the system, making this change consistent with current practice.

Why do official news releases always bilingualize the park's name. That isn't the practice even for national or provincial parks

The new signs for Sheppard West stations are all in capitals, covering the subway system's only station name that uses lowercase letters on the walls.

Oh, and the extension is going to be opened on New Year's Eve of this year (the latest possible day of the year that is still 2017 in Toronto).

That's the first I've heard of an opening date. Source?

RE: $600,000 Automated Voice:

Brad Ross: It's not one station, it's all 6 new stations. There are three systems, 80-plus trains, testing, and so on. Fleet cost more than $1 billion

Honestly, I thought the full official name of the place was Parc Downsview Park (the same way the old baseball stadium was Parc Jarry Park....so that it was inherently bi-lingual)

Honestly, I thought the full official name of the place was Parc Downsview Park (the same way the old baseball stadium was Parc Jarry Park....so that it was inherently bi-lingual)

Park Downsview Park was the original name of the crown corp - but control reverted back to CLC awhile ago. I recall they used to be a lot more vigorous about calling it PDP

Old UT thread: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/parc-downsview-park.773

AoD

Back