Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

in the case of a station at don mills and lawrence, I think a name along the lines of "not quite as east as lawrence east, but still more east than lawrence, lawrence" would be more appropriate.

Still not as bad as Vaughan Metropolitan Centre or Black Creek Pioneer Village...

I think "Lawrence Quasi-East" has a nice ring to it :).

Well, Vaughan has jumped on the corporate naming bandwagon. They weren't so bold as to force TTC to do it, but the planned bus terminal they plan to build adjacent to the VMC station will be named: "SmartCentres Terminal -- Vaughan Metropolitan Centre".

Why did they decide to build a bus terminal here? With terminals at both 407 and BCPV stations, why not stick with the walk-in access to the station?

Why did they decide to build a bus terminal here? With terminals at both 407 and BCPV stations, why not stick with the walk-in access to the station?

I didn't clarify that I'm talking about a terminal that is separate from the vivastation, which I presume will be called simply (?) "Vaughan Metropolitan Centre". In all the descriptions of the viva busway that I have read and from the YRT people I've talked to at open houses, the busway is intended for just the viva buses. Not even the regular YRT buses will be allowed to stop there. So YRT wanted yet another terminal. And since it would be in the heart of the VMC, they dubbed it a "regional terminal." I suppose that means that they want to attract the likes of Grayhound.

Along with the SmartCentres naming agreement was included a location agreement that places this regional terminal on the surface at the very end of the tail track. That wasn't York's first choice--they wanted it on the east side of Millway, kitty corner to the Futureshop. This finalized location requires a long tunnel to be constructed alongside the tail track structure (or perhaps it will be above, hence part of, the tail track structure) to bring travellers from this regional terminal into the subway station.

I haven't yet come across any official designs of this terminal but I've seen it in this drawing from Calloway. It stands out peculiarly as a bus terminal in that the buses will circulate counter-clockwise and discharge passengers on an outside oval perimeter. It seems to be a big space waster. Can anyone think of another bus terminal like it?

So now, for the three stations BCPV, 407, and VMC, there will be five bus terminals (2 at BCPV and 2 at VMC). I can well imagine your reaction that this is overkill.

By the way, Calloway has a small set of photos that show the progress of the VMC station up to about a month ago.

I guess the main point is the current naming system works with 2 perpendicular crosstown lines but when there's more, it's time to revamp it.

The naming system allowed for North York Centre, Osgoode, St.Patrick, Museum, Downsview, etc. I think that if a street already has a Lawrence, Lawrence East, and Lawrence West it might be time to find a point of interest to use. I think Don Mills Rd at Don Mills neighbourhood centre would make more sense to call Don Mills station than Don Mills at Parkway Forest / Fairview for example. You could call the current Don Mills as Don Mills North / Sheppard East, or simply Parkway Forest or Fairview.

The naming system allowed for North York Centre, Osgoode, St.Patrick, Museum, Downsview, etc. I think that if a street already has a Lawrence, Lawrence East, and Lawrence West it might be time to find a point of interest to use. I think Don Mills Rd at Don Mills neighbourhood centre would make more sense to call Don Mills station than Don Mills at Parkway Forest / Fairview for example. You could call the current Don Mills as Don Mills North / Sheppard East, or simply Parkway Forest or Fairview.

New York and Chicago which have grid street systems allow duplicate subway station names. It is probably less confusing than having the stop named after some obscure landmark. Toronto seems to do fine with numerous streetcar and bus stops with duplicate names.

Just add the street names in the announcements. Dufferin @ Eglinton could be called Fairbanks, and Bloor @ Dufferin could be changed to Bloor West Village.

Another thing is retaining the name of the street as part of the name. Like changing Bayview to Bayview Village since it's there, and having the Eglinton Line call it Bayview something else. There'll probably be 3 Dufferin and Bathurst stations so you could throw in Parkdale and Forest Hill as stations or Dufferin Parkdale or some other combination. And hopefully not use North and South.

I never liked the NYC system of having multiple 33 St. stations. This is made worse by the fact that 33 streets also exist in the outer boroughs; I haven't looked into it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a line with duplicate station names - one in Manhattan and one in Queens or Brooklyn!

It's inelegant but naming the streets after the intersection would be a no-brainer: Bayview-Eglinton versus Bayview-Sheppard; Don Mills-Eglinton versus Don Mills-Sheppard. In some cases these can be substituted by landmarks or neighbourhoods like "Fairview" or "Bayview-Leaside" that sound nicer, but not always, and as we go out into the suburbs we realize that landmarks or well-known neighbourhoods start to get a little thin.

We should avoid duplicate names between the GO and TTC networks (and the 905 systems as well) if fully-integrated regional rail is our long-term goal. GO should rename their Bloor station as well as Eglinton. Station names like "Scarborough" and "Danforth" are neither wrong nor duplicates but are next to meaningless in the geographic context of the area they serve and should also be renamed eventually.

Bloor Junction and Danforth Junction can be replacements.

I would say go with Dundas West instead. At least then it's consistent with the subway station. And the area study is already called the "Dundas West Mobility Hub" or something like that isn't it?

I never liked the NYC system of having multiple 33 St. stations. This is made worse by the fact that 33 streets also exist in the outer boroughs; I haven't looked into it, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a line with duplicate station names - one in Manhattan and one in Queens or Brooklyn!

It's inelegant but naming the streets after the intersection would be a no-brainer: Bayview-Eglinton versus Bayview-Sheppard; Don Mills-Eglinton versus Don Mills-Sheppard. In some cases these can be substituted by landmarks or neighbourhoods like "Fairview" or "Bayview-Leaside" that sound nicer, but not always, and as we go out into the suburbs we realize that landmarks or well-known neighbourhoods start to get a little thin.

We should avoid duplicate names between the GO and TTC networks (and the 905 systems as well) if fully-integrated regional rail is our long-term goal. GO should rename their Bloor station as well as Eglinton. Station names like "Scarborough" and "Danforth" are neither wrong nor duplicates but are next to meaningless in the geographic context of the area they serve and should also be renamed eventually.

Danforth really should be renamed something like "East Toronto" for the old, historic name of the station that was nearby and the immediate community. Scarborough should remain, as it is the historic location of Scarborough Junction and the only Grand Trunk station named Scarboro (the "ugh" shortened by the GTR/CN here and in Peterborough). Perhaps just add "Junction" to that name.

The only reason why I don't mind too much the use of "Dufferin" on the Eglinton line is because it's a different technology and a different operator, but "Fairbank - Dufferin St" is the best choice. Note there's no plural in Fairbank.

Last edited:

Back