Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

So there'll be 2 Black Creek stations then. Just Pioneer Village would be better.
What's the other station? The one on Eglinton will be called Mt. Dennis according to the latest proposals (there won't be a stop right at Black Creek Drive itself). Hmm, looking at the Crosstown website, "Dufferin" is now "Dufferin-Eglinton", "Keele" is now "Keele-Eglinton" ... I wonder if that will last.

What's the other station? The one on Eglinton will be called Mt. Dennis according to the latest proposals (there won't be a stop right at Black Creek Drive itself). Hmm, looking at the Crosstown website, "Dufferin" is now "Dufferin-Eglinton", "Keele" is now "Keele-Eglinton" ... I wonder if that will last.

Personally, I think "Keele" or "Keele-Eglinton" should be "Trethewey".

I wonder if that means "Dufferin" on the Bloor line will become "Dufferin-Bloor" and "Keele" will become "Keele-Bloor"...

I wonder if that means "Dufferin" on the Bloor line will become "Dufferin-Bloor" and "Keele" will become "Keele-Bloor"...

I would have advocated Dufferin on the LRT being called Fairbank - the name of the park and of the local neighbourhood if there was a policy of not having duplicate names.

The CTA in Chicago has multiple duplicate names: 3 Pulaskis, 3 Chicagos (!), 4 Westerns, 4 Kedzies, 3 Ciceros (one of which is in Cicero, the other two are named for the street), 2 47ths, etc. It makes sense to add "West" to stations here (they are on the same line, after all), but not needed for the LRT. Some of the duplicate names are on the same line! (Blue)

The recent stupidity of station naming in this city is ridiculous. At least none have been renamed completely for corporations (yet), such as the renamed Pattison Station in Philadelphia.

Last edited:
They should have a different name whenever possible and the street name displayed in the stations too like the University Line.

And if there are multiple north south named stations, the station names on the BD line loses it's significance also. With 2 or 3 Bay St stations it's better to rename the current one Yorkville, and Sherbourne to St. Paul's or something.

They should have a different name whenever possible and the street name displayed in the stations too like the University Line.

And if there are multiple north south named stations, the station names on the BD line loses it's significance also. With 2 or 3 Bay St stations it's better to rename the current one Yorkville, and Sherbourne to St. Paul's or something.

I agree, especially when there is a distinct neighbourhood that the station is located in (Yorkville, St. Lawrence, etc).

There will be a few stations where having "North" is unavoidable though, because there will be no well-known neighbourhood name to name it after.

That's been mentioned before. It's kind of ironic that "Smart Centres", the developer of transit-unfriendly, big box sprawl, has anything associated with transit, but it was part of the Vaughan "Metropolitan" Centre politics - DumbCentres is a huge landowner in that area.

I think whatever station-naming scheme we come end up going for should be consistent.

That said, is it really that big a deal to duplicate station names?

While I don't find it that big of a deal, that doesn't mean we can do everything we can to prevent it. Using east, west, north, and south, as well as naming stations after neighbourhoods helps this. But if you have exhausted this, I think it's ok to start using duplicates. You would need at least 4 lines with stops on the streets for this to happen. (I.E lawrence, lawrence east, lawrence west, then a duplicate named lawrence)

Back