Toronto Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto | 159.71m | 45s | GWL | KPMB

If I knew nothing about Toronto hotels, and saw the Delta and The Ritz from a distance, I'd think the Delta was the 5-star.

The Delta will have a few things going for it that the Ritz can't compete with (although the markets are quite a bit different: keep-every-receipt business trips vs. high rollers)
Architecture is a big one (completely subjective), the location is a tiny bit more central and closer to Union, and a huge factor will be the views. Unlike Delta, the Ritz isn't hotel all the way up, and despite the Delta not going for a 5 star rating, I think a 47th floor view will draw a lot of 5-star types in that want more of an urban experience.

With its unique outwardly sloped profile, the Ritz looks more sophisticated than the Delta with its somewhat gimmicky rectangles ornamenting the facade.

I totally disagree with this one.... The Ritz is actually one of the latest high profile project that couldn't make a dent on the skyline.
Sophistication is not a word for the Ritz because it's just another box slanted a little bit with really boring glass that just get missing among all those boring green/grey glasses.

The Delta is another box but has some originality on it with those glooves along the tower plus it has an exceptional office glass that is waaaaayy better than the Ritz.

That said, the Ritz could have bennifited from aditional heigth because the slating slope is not prominent enough to make any impact far away.

Last edited:
The Ritz's profile looks great from the west. It has great glass--better than the Delta's which almost looks like generic '80s mirrored glass. I like details like the separation between the hotel and condos at the Ritz--a floor with columns that appear to support the entire upper part of the building. The podium could have better, but it's one of the more substantial towers to go up in this boom. It has no gimmicks and some distinctive details. The Ritz is a better building.

I totally disagree with this one.... The Ritz is actually one of the latest high profile project that couldn't make a dent on the skyline.
Sophistication is not a word for the Ritz because it's just another box slanted a little bit with really boring glass that just get missing among all those boring green/grey glasses.

The Delta is another box but has some originality on it with those glooves along the tower plus it has an exceptional office glass that is waaaaayy better than the Ritz.

That said, the Ritz could have bennifited from aditional heigth because the slating slope is not prominent enough to make any impact far away.

Seriously ? Another "box with a slant" ? ... Please name all other such "boxes with a slant". You think the glass isn't high quality ? It is, secondly it doesn't look anything like the typical blue / glass condo ...

That's not to say I love the tower, I do from about the 3rd floor up, I'm not a big fan of the podium, or the finishing treatment i.e. sidewalks / lights ... Four Seasons did a much much better job in this regard.

I'm certainly not saying the Ritz glass is of low quality, but its anemic appearance just makes it blend into the grey mass of other similar buildings from many vantage points. The glass simply isn't reflective enough to contrast its form against the background.

I'm certainly not saying the Ritz glass is of low quality, but its anemic appearance just makes it blend into the grey mass of other similar buildings from many vantage points. The glass simply isn't reflective enough to contrast its form against the background.

The glass really sucks. I like the building's profile, but the glass is so dull. It looked scuffed and dirty as soon as it went on. Doesn't help that the material next door on the Dexia building is almost identical. Those buildings really underwhelm, especially from King Street where they combine with the awful colours of Metro Hall.

I love the Ritz. Probably my favourite building of this boom. It's smooth and compelling, unlike the hyper reflective Delta which - while fun - looks pretty unsophisticated to me.

June 10
9087719158_bcfd90652a_b.jpg

9087714104_d2c7d26360_b.jpg

9085489343_80b2c182b7_b.jpg

9087683100_e266d8861f_b.jpg

9087666804_a507f5df9f_b.jpg

9087642412_ee21d782ef_b.jpg

Back