Toronto Southcore Financial Centre & Delta Toronto | 159.71m | 45s | GWL | KPMB

Cellphone pics.

IMG_20130603_175612_zps058a467b.jpg

IMG_20130603_175631_zps12b498cd.jpg

IMG_20130603_175244_zps5ad69192.jpg

IMG_20130603_175415_zpsac8a792f.jpg

IMG_20130603_175507_zps4b7531d7.jpg

Last edited:
More buildings like this and Telus etc. will thankfully make the boring green glass boxes fade away. As long as that fad isn't resurrected. The future construction south of the tracks will also hide some of it.

How is this that different from the “boring green glass boxes� To me, this isn't much more than yet another boring blue glass box in a sea of similar neighbours. This area REALLY needs a new material other than glass. I do agree that this one isn't quite as forgettable as its neighbours, but just barely.

I like that it's all glass. It's like the 21st century version of Cabbagetown--where everything is brick and cohesive. However, there should be more variations in the architecture of the buildings in the area south of the railway corridor. The PWC Tower, for instance, is among the blandest built in the city--essentially just a box covered in some good glass from the cladding catalogue. There's almost no architecture at all. The Delta has the cladding with the squares for that shimmering look that gives it architectural character, but it's not that substantial as a design feature.

Would some people have felt the same back in the 19th century, about the row of buildings along Front St. East as depicted in someMidTowner's last photo above? Perhaps. At least they used a variety of colours.

I guess the area's aesthetic unity does have some merit, but mostly I dislike it. Cabbagetown, for instance, isn't 100% brick; the buildings have glass in the windows. The equivalent would be if Cabbagetown buildings were completely enclosed brick cubes with no windows, which would be similarly ugly.

And what you say about the PWC Tower consisting of "almost no architecture at all" is exactly how I feel about these glass buildings; it's like the more they're covered in glass, the less architecture there is. There's almost no room for architecture when every building's every surface is coated in glass. Windows used to be just one feature among many in buildings; now buildings are just giant windows.

This neighborhood is looking so good in these pictures. Does it look as good in real life? I don't live there anymore so I can't visit. Looks like it Has great potential post construction. The combination of the. Greenery with the glass with blue sky. Stunning.

This neighborhood is looking so good in these pictures. Does it look as good in real life? Stunning.
It looks good from certain places and terrible from others. I don't think my photos of the Delta from the other day are too far off from what the eye sees, the matter is really more about angles. There are some bad angles in the southcore area and no amount of editing will make them look less offensive, but in this instance, yes it does look that good in real life :D

I like the canyon effect that front street is getting now that bremner is growing up. That view from the gooderham building has a really nice contrast of Victorian in the foreground and the telus build in the background. L tower puts the icing on the cake.

I guess the area's aesthetic unity does have some merit, but mostly I dislike it. Cabbagetown, for instance, isn't 100% brick; the buildings have glass in the windows. The equivalent would be if Cabbagetown buildings were completely enclosed brick cubes with no windows, which would be similarly ugly.

And what you say about the PWC Tower consisting of "almost no architecture at all" is exactly how I feel about these glass buildings; it's like the more they're covered in glass, the less architecture there is. There's almost no room for architecture when every building's every surface is coated in glass. Windows used to be just one feature among many in buildings; now buildings are just giant windows.

I actually really like all-glass buildings like l-tower and delta, it's when they start mixing concrete and spandrel into the facade that things start to look really cheap and dirty. look at success tower and all those mistakes south of the gardiner.

Back