Toronto Soul, Connect, & Vivo Condos at Fairview Park | ?m | 17s | FRAM + Slokker | Core Architects

24942769686_b2f87b3e29_h.jpg

Taken today:
P1070811.JPG
P1070829.JPG
P1070830.JPG
P1070835.JPG

They're also building townhouses:
P1070836.JPG
P1070839.JPG

Attachments

• P1070811.JPG
    P1070811.JPG
    530.1 KB · Views: 990
  • P1070829.JPG
    P1070829.JPG
    629.9 KB · Views: 944
  • P1070830.JPG
    P1070830.JPG
    919.9 KB · Views: 1,000
  • P1070835.JPG
    P1070835.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,006
  • P1070836.JPG
    P1070836.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,008
  • P1070839.JPG
    P1070839.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 993
A short GIF

gif_20160826021619.gif

Attachments

• gif_20160826021619.gif
    gif_20160826021619.gif
    436.4 KB · Views: 952
Last edited by a moderator:
Only tangentially related to the condos............but I was up at Fairview over the weekend.

Granted, I really dislike shopping malls, particularly of the suburban variety..............

But I have few observations about this one of the negative vein anyhow.

One, the exit onto the road where the condos are, at the rear of the mall doesn't function properly. There was a traffic jam to get out, because the actual lead up to the traffic light only allows 3 vehicles to queue and thus blocks the feeder system of traffic during a red cycle.

Ultimately, I hope all parking on site is buried, but in the meantime that really needs a re-think, re-align the parking lot and ring road system so that the exit can allow for at least six vehicles to queue, maybe even up to eight.

Second, I see where the mall settled on creating an outdoor restaurant/patio row w/Spring Rolls and Moxie's among others on the Sheppard-facing side.

Despite pretty good weather and a very busy mall, the patios were mostly empty.

It struck me that CF missed out on the relationship between patios and walk-up and walk-by traffic.

Even if the streetscape were nicer, and the parking less and/or further........the restaurant row has no natural outlet to the street, its one-sided, and not long enough to create a real desire to walk outside, or to sit.

I was thinking that ideally, the mall would redevelop its Sheppard frontage mid-rise or mid-rise podium and then put restaurant row facing Sheppard but w/a double-street tree respite to reduce noise/pollution.

But it would still face the problem of not really going anywhere/being too short.

The existing layout doesn't work.

Wow. I had no idea this project existed. I'm on here every day and stuff slips by even so. I guess the parking lots-to-condos trend is now taking hold in the subrubs, as well.

As to NL's points, yes, the parking at Fairview is a poorly thought out mess. I can see, though, why they had problems: it is surrounded by major roads on three sides and a residential area on the fourth.

Wow. I had no idea this project existed. I'm on here every day and stuff slips by even so. I guess the parking lots-to-condos trend is now taking hold in the subrubs, as well.

As to NL's points, yes, the parking at Fairview is a poorly thought out mess. I can see, though, why they had problems: it is surrounded by major roads on three sides and a residential area on the fourth.

I believe the condos are part of the TCHC redevelopment on lands to the north of the mall, someone may correct me if that assumption is wrong.

As to the parking........there is a lot more of it than there once was, and the mall is larger too.

So there were opportunities to take the need for change into account.

If memory serves, Hudson's Bay's current store went in front of the old store, and the mall replaced the original store.

The movie theatre has been rebuilt, relocated and enlarged at least twice (three incarnations), to my memory there was either no, or much less decked parking originally; at the north end of the mall was originally a Loblaws that served the local community.

During these and other assorted redevelopments, they ought to have been able to do better; and I'm convinced they still can, and should.

I believe the condos are part of the TCHC redevelopment on lands to the north of the mall, someone may correct me if that assumption is wrong.

This is correct.

Back