Toronto Social at Church + Dundas | 164.89m | 52s | Pemberton | RAW Design

Why on earth would you spec mid-height mullions on the two storeys between the podium and the balconies (and the ten or so storeys on the east elevation that don't have balconies), but not on the floors with balconies that would literally block them from view?

March 21, 2022

IMG_20220321_131031503.jpg

IMG_20220321_131117122_HDR.jpg

The only thing that can save this building. Is for the balconies to be dark in colour to create some contrast from the bright facade that's behind it ! The podium doesn't even match the tower's facade's colours

In @Riseth’s pic, balcony glazing began yesterday (lowest corner) along with light-toned horizontal capping along the cement balconies. Unfortunately the glass is clear. Was rushing around and didn’t have time for a pic.

Last edited:
In @Riseth’s pic, balcony glazing began yesterday (lowest corner) along with light-toned horizontal capping along the cement balconies. Unfortunately the glass is clear. Was rushing around and didn’t have time for a pic.
Yup I noticed this too. The glass itself looks fine but it can't save this building based on what's behind. Yuck!

What a truly hideous mess. I would blame the awful finishings on the fact it's close to dundas and jarvis (the most depressing intersection, where architecture goes to die) but then again, we have the Taylor and Peter and Adelaide going up in a whole other side of town.

Jarvis and Dundas is a little bland, but all three buildings there are far from bad, just boring.

Ryerson's new building on the corner should make it a bit more interesting.

This building - well, it's bad. I suspect the balcony cladding will help a bit.. but there's only so much you can do with this window wall.

Hmm...have something against leisure suits??
To be clear, I have nothing against leisure suits per say. Some of their colour schemes would likely be very welcome for this city building scape obsessed with the grey and pale.

On the other hand, the character from the sitcom of ole, WKRP in Cincinnati I referenced to, was known for his clashing plaid clownsuits (different beast), to which this unfortunate choice of said window wall hearkens to IMO. >.<

I usually sit on the fence also until a project is further along. On this one I agree it is looking pretty awful and cheap even compared to other awful and cheap looking projects. I assume this will be mainly for students at Ryerson or whatever Ryerson will soon be renamed ;-)

Back