News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.5K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 679     1 

Toronto skyline

Great collection of shots here. Fantastic variety.

Nine years late but here's a shot taken from Leslie and Eastern looking westward.

20Les-Ext-March03-K.png

So green!

7199364918_8eb64d2bb7_o.jpg

Nice photo, but I wish that was some kind of park instead of the residential area.
I always thought it would be nice to have some nicely designed big park close to/ within downtown.

High Park is somewhat far away from downtown, and to Toronto islands you need to take a ferry which makes it more like a little distant amusement park (considering the distance).

Don Valley parks are closer, but more like patches of small ones along the valley, not like a grand urban body of greenness like Central Park in New York City, at all. And you know the Don Valley highway ruins important half of the park..

I see the most possible option is to expand and improve Don Valley just east of Yonge& Bloor. They could underground lower parts of Don Valley Parkway as well as the infamous Gardiner wall, and even make part of Rosedale a public park merged to the existing one. And then redesign with more trees, better circulation, some nice architecture, and so on.

Last edited:
Nice photo, but I wish that was some kind of park instead of the residential area.
I always thought it would be nice to have some nicely designed big park close to/ within downtown.

High Park is somewhat far away from downtown, and to Toronto islands you need to take a ferry which makes it more like a little distant amusement park (considering the distance).

Don Valley parks are closer, but more like patches of small ones along the valley, not like a grand urban body of greenness like Central Park in New York City, at all. And you know the Don Valley highway ruins important half of the park..

I see the most possible option is to expand and improve Don Valley just east of Yonge& Bloor. They could underground lower parts of Don Valley Parkway as well as the infamous Gardiner wall, and even make part of Rosedale a public park merged to the existing one. And then redesign with more trees, better circulation, some nice architecture, and so on.

We have some great parks in the centre of Toronto.
How about Queen's Park, Wilket Creek Park, Edward's Gardens?

We have some great parks in the centre of Toronto.
How about Queen's Park, Wilket Creek Park, Edward's Gardens?

It looks like Wilket Creek Park and Edward's Gardens are irrelevant since they are so far away from downtown.
I know Queen's Park is a nice one and sure is right within downtown. But, I meant a big park: a giant park you can be lost in, where you can get your freedom from the bustling city in a sea(?) of greenness. In other words, something in the scale of Central Park in NYC or Stanley Park in Vancouver.

Try to measure the distance to High Park or even the Toronto Islands (say people can walk there) from downtown using Google Earth, you'll see how far away they are located.

Don Valley parks(incl. Don River Park, Riverdale Park, etc) are (fortunately) in a good distance from the northern half of downtown, but it's just not the kind of great parks that I mentioned above. I'm hoping that we could improve this nice green blessing nearby.

Last edited:
It looks like Wilket Creek Park and Edward's Gardens are irrelevant since they are so far away from downtown.
not to quibble unduly, but those parks ~are~ downtown

unless your definition of downtown is a 1 kilometre radius from yonge and bloor

Don Valley parks(incl. Don River Park, Riverdale Park, etc) are (fortunately) in a good distance from the northern half of downtown, but it's just not the kind of great parks that I mentioned above.
haven't been down there lately, have you

check out the Charles Sauriol conservation area next time you have a day to kill

I'm hoping that we could improve this nice green blessing nearby.
and where would you suggest we build this park?

no, please, i'm genuinely curious where you think we can put a park that meets your requirements if the ones mentioned above are not good enough

haven't been down there lately, have you

check out the Charles Sauriol conservation area next time you have a day to kill

and where would you suggest we build this park?

no, please, i'm genuinely curious where you think we can put a park that meets your requirements if the ones mentioned above are not good enough

Again, just think about Stanley Park, Mount Royal Park, or the Central Park. (or even Grant Park in Chicago)
It has to be both big enough(at least 400 acres) and close enough(almost attached to downtown), so that people live/ do business in downtown, or even international tourists can easily access (on foot) and enjoy.

The Don Valley park was just an idea (probably the easiest since we just need to expand, restore, and improve the existing).
Actually I am not sure where might be the best place we can put a park that meets these two major/basic criteria. This kind of work probably should have been done nicely about 100 years ago or so...

toronto_parks.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PUTOTO:
"It looks like Wilket Creek Park and Edward's Gardens are irrelevant since they are so far away from downtown."

And reply by r937:
"not to quibble unduly, but those parks ~are~ downtown
unless your definition of downtown is a 1 kilometre radius from yonge and bloor"

Interesting comments regarding "downtown" parkland for Toronto.
Wilket Creek & Edwards Gardens are, I'm told, at the GEOGRAPHIC CENTRE OF TORONTO!
Stanley Park is certainly not in the centre of Vancouver's downtown core.
Apparently we'll soon have a "National Park" in the Rough Valley and I believe it'll be more than 400 acres.

The obvious parkland for the use of all those new downtown residents is on the Island.
It's an ideal park, in my view.
The ferry boat service needs to be greatly improved.

In what planet is Eglinton/Leslie or Lawrence/Leslie in downtown?

If Moss Park extended all the way to Allan Gardens it would make for a great downtown park.
The Islands are great but not accesible.

Back