Toronto SIX50 King West | ?m | 16s | Freed | Core Architects

51111 I visit the village I named over 5 years ago in honor of one of Toronto's best developers: Freedville

051la.jpg

070cx.jpg

Where it fits in the skyline--centre here:

020aj.jpg

(See page 1 of this thread if you doubt my claims.:))

Last edited:
This building is really disappointing. The window-wall is awful, no better than Glass House at Queen and Jarvis. I expected a lot more.

Great shot Red Mars! We have used it to illustrate a brand new interview with Peter Freed, which you can read here.

Peter Freed lived near Victoria Memorial Square for years and doesn't even know its history. That's sad. He wanted a dog run on the square and then complains about people using it as a toilet (many dog owners live in nearby Freed buildings). The place is not a park, its a memorial site. There are seven plaques explaining the history of the site, as there are signs requesting that people keep their dogs leashed.

As for fenced-in dog runs, many dog owners don't like dogs shitting in the enclosed runs. That's why they take them out of the enclosed runs and let their pets crap and piss in the associated parkland. A dog run would do nothing to reduce the incidence of city parks being turned into dog toilets. But then only a developer ignorant of the local history would suggest a dog run to be set up on a memorial site.

Just so the interviewer knows, Victoria Memorial Square is a cemetery associated with Fort York and is part of the Fort York National Historic Site. The cemetery includes the remains of some of the earliest residents of York and victims of the War of 1812 among the roughly 400 dead buried there. Due to the shallowness of the graves, field drainage cannot be installed, so it will never be a perfect "park" setting for those who are ignorant of the history of the place.

Freed was in no way responsible for the refurbishment of the square. He didn't participate in the effort. The square was a selling point for his condos as nothing will be built on it. The restoration of Victoria Memorial Square was spearheaded by the Wellington Place Neighbourhood Association (for which it won an award) with the able assistance of the local councillor Adam Vaughan.

Too bad these important details and facts were not mentioned in the article.

Last edited:
[/url] December 2011: the only side that looks any good will soon be hidden by 111 Bathurst, 525 Adelaide etc.

114oua.jpg

What is the covering on the 5th floor in place of the glass? I'm guessing that isn't permanent is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I went by the building today and the front door is now on the King St. building. It looks great, and the lobby has some cool benches with LED lights. I think it is all coming together really well. Has anyone heard what restaurant or store is going to go in the King St. frontage?

I really have no idea what you are talking about. What buildings do you think are good? You dont like contemporary design?

Back