Toronto Showcase Lofts | ?m | 7s | Aragon Properties | F.G.McG.E.A.

So I went by the sales centre. It opened yesterday. I was pretty impressed with the finishes (perhaps my expectations were really low). The exterior isn't the greatest though. The one good thing is the rendering is not correct. The building will be majority brick. Hving skylights in the top floor units and brick feature wall is cool too. Not bad.

Looks like the developer listened to the public outry against it, and made some facade adjustments.

http://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/showcase-lofts

(Rendering from BuzzBuzzHome)

showcase.jpg

Looks like the developer listened to the public outry against it, and made some facade adjustments.

but is the facade made of brick or stucco?
if brick, either yellow or red should work.

if stucco, no matter what colour it will be, it will suck and look cheap, run down in few years.

The new version of the project is much better than the ghastly old proposal, but still tame and bland. The red brick is a major plus considering the context of brick buildings in the area. The white section contrasts with the brick and adds interest. The balcony railings are unusual and interesting, though they seem like the most obvious potential cheapening, so I wouldn't count on them. But from there, it's not much more than a dull collection of 90 degree angles. It's a step down from the quality of The Printing Factory Lofts conversion and addition nearby. Retail, or at the very least live/work units at ground level should be required.

Developers need to realize that if they're going to impact this great city by building here, it should be with ambition. Even infill buildings should have some features to standout to give them an interesting identity. There shouldn't be an unremarkable infill versus stunning landmark dichotomy. Infill buildings need sophistication, too.

Unfortunately.....

Not, they should start digging within a couple weeks. Theyre only 55% sold but self financed so they can start anytime. BOGUS!

Work is heating up on Showcase. They've demolished the presentation centre and moved in a trailer over the past couple of weeks, and today a big drill and a bunch of workers are starting to dig.

The new presentation centre is in the industrial building/hard loft just north of the lot.

Last edited:
Are people in the area still feeling disdain for this project? As much as I agree that the building isn't all that exciting in its exterior, it's nice to see well-designed, affordable units coming to a very desirable area. I'm actually thinking of grabbing one of the one bedroom units, as it is a little chunk of real estate I can actually afford in this crazy-expensive city. I'm a first time buyer though, so a lot of research still needs to be done....

Are people in the area still feeling disdain for this project? As much as I agree that the building isn't all that exciting in its exterior, it's nice to see well-designed, affordable units coming to a very desirable area. I'm actually thinking of grabbing one of the one bedroom units, as it is a little chunk of real estate I can actually afford in this crazy-expensive city. I'm a first time buyer though, so a lot of research still needs to be done....

Hi lucydog - yeah, I'd say there is still a lot of disdain for this project in the neighborhood (you can read more here http://leslieviller.com/forum/topics/showcase-building-on-carlaw if you like). I'm not sure what level sales are up to yet, but the word on the street is that that an overwhelming majority have gone to investors who will be renting out the units, turning Showcase into essentially a Cityplace-style "rental" building. I was in the sales office when it opened - the finishes were very nice but the floorplans are deceptive. The units are smaller than they appear - pay close attention to the dimensions rather than the layout. The neighborhood is fantastic, and Aragon seems to be getting on with the construction without much delay, but if you can find a resale in your price range in Printing Factory, Garment Factory, or the Worklofts / Flatiron at Carlaw and Dundas you might be better off. Streetcar will be developing the north side of that corner eventually, but that may be too far in the future for your liking. Anyway, best of luck with your search!

I went to the sales office when it first opened. The exterior design is pretty bad. Amateurish even. The interior finishes are pretty nice though. As far as being sold to investors...I'm pretty sure the same can be said for Worklofts just up the street and even Showcase. It's a nature of the beast. Renters are not bad people. You have the odd idiot...but the same can be said for some owners too.

Back