Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

It depends on whether or not this is decide upon in the Executive Council, or in the actual City Council.

The ridiculousness of this is that the city will get much more money for this land if there is mass transit yet King Ford will likely to stop the LRT ROW because 'the people' don't want it. That means less money for city owned land because the city can't afford to invest and cut taxes; therefore the city will be poorer in the long run and we will all have to pay more taxes in the future. Brilliant!

It depends on whether or not this is decide upon in the Executive Council, or in the actual City Council.

But even if it is the full City Council, does the Waterfront Toronto agreement give the city any unilateral power? I'm definitely not a lawyer, but I don't see anything in the agreement about the City being able to sever properties from the rest of those developed by Waterfront Toronto.

And I'll just echo that it is completely absurd to complain about the waterfront revitalization process at exactly the time that shovels are going into the ground and things are really beginning to happen. Does Ford ever make it below Queen Street?

There seems to be a recurring pattern in Toronto of 'grand' projects getting canceled at the last minute after all the planning has already been done... it's like a massive case of coitus interruptus!

Well maybe we need to learn to do the planning during the 'down' times and the building during the good times?

If you think the idea of scrapping the waterfront development is insane, and you should, call Mayor Ford and tell him that. His numbers is 416-233-6934 and 416-459-7128. Let's not take this sitting down.

meh nothing will be scrapped. I think the easy bayfront is going ahead no matter what anyone does at this point. Same goes for part of the west donalnds area for the pan am games.

The rest ? i.e. the portlands and the like ... yep maybe he will 'scrap' it but don't forget that's such a long term plan anyway, so far in the future ... by the time serious action is ready to begin we'll most likely have a new mayor - maybe even a few of new ones by then.

The votes this week on council are closer than they've ever been (with several amendment votes going in favour of the left) so I'm not sure the Fords could win a vote on Waterfront Toronto. I think they're attempting to get the public worked up in an anti-Waterfront Toronto frenzy (building off the ill feelings people justifiably built up following the TCHC scandal) through the media in an attempt to sway some of the middle councillors in their direction.

Make no mistake: this is only about finding things to sell in an attempt to balance the 2012 budget.

The new lighting was being installed yesterday, in Sugar Beach and it looks SO much nicer than those highway lights. They were also putting in a docking station for BIXI bikes, near the entrance off Queen's Quay. Why are the water-side doors on Corus locked? I thought that building was supposed to have public access? I needed a washroom real bad! The new restaurant is slowly taking shape and hopefully will allow the public to use its washroom. The washrooms at Sherbourne Common were locked too, so my options ran out real fast. I watered the grass, as a last resort.

The new lighting was being installed yesterday, in Sugar Beach and it looks SO much nicer than those highway lights. They were also putting in a docking station for BIXI bikes, near the entrance off Queen's Quay. Why are the water-side doors on Corus locked? I thought that building was supposed to have public access? I needed a washroom real bad! The new restaurant is slowly taking shape and hopefully will allow the public to use its washroom. The washrooms at Sherbourne Common were locked too, so my options ran out real fast. I watered the grass, as a last resort.

or killed it

Up close and personal with a cargo ship! :)

Now this is certainly NOT the way we're used to seeing a ship dock and unload at Redpath Sugar :cool:. They temporarily fenced off the boardwalk at the south end of Sugar Beach, but other than that, the ship doesn't seem to be deterring too many people from using the beach today...and it's attracting quite some 'novelty' attention as well from passerbys!

5710861469_0479c39228_z.jpg

5710862045_c3308b54f8_z.jpg

5710867751_975c2bc269_z.jpg

5711427914_3f12cffc35_z.jpg

5711428568_8e4c95d2e4_z.jpg

5710870753_94c2ea8443_z.jpg

5710871747_b9ec61ddc4_z.jpg

5711432302_02cdd51d9f_z.jpg

5711433298_2ea035073b_z.jpg

As cool a this ship looks docked this way...hope they don't decide to do it this way on a regular basis.

Back