Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

This is the type of development that makes me proud to be a Torontonian, building an efficient new city along the water that interacts with the area well and creates exciting new models of growth for the city in the future.

There is so much potential in this city with respect to architecture, facilities and transit................the question is will we ever have civic leaders with a vision to fulfill it all? Not at least in the next four years, IMHO!

It's looking better and better, all the time.
[video=youtube;p8xzBj0dles]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8xzBj0dles[/video]

view of the skyline from Sherbourne Common...

5608778996_9470f1a9da_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shot. I hope they'll be running water in the park soon -- that's one of the most interesting features of the place.

Thank goodness the plan has always been to run water here, and not gravy.

This new neighbourhood severely needs the extended Queens Quay streetcar. Thanks to the Gardiner and general industrial-wasteland-ness, it has enough problems connecting to the city. Luckily, all of the condos and businesses going up in the coming years will facilitate this.

This new neighbourhood severely needs the extended Queens Quay streetcar. Thanks to the Gardiner and general industrial-wasteland-ness, it has enough problems connecting to the city. Luckily, all of the condos and businesses going up in the coming years will facilitate this.

Yes, the Queen's Quay East LRT really is needed (as soon as the George Brown and other developments open) but I fear it is gravy and won't appear in time. Steve Munro reports:

"I am planning an update on Waterfront projects generally, but in brief here’s the situation. Waterfront Toronto has enough money in its budget to do [Queen's Quay] from roughly Spadina to York for the complete street makeover. The TTC will do the streetcar tracks all the way to the portal starting in September, and the road reconstruction/reconfiguration will follow next spring. The timing of the streetscape east from York to Jarvis (phase 2) and then to Parliament (phase 3) is uncertain due to budget issues.

The Queen’s Quay east streetcar is in trouble because the cost estimate keeps going up mainly due to tunneling issues. I am trying to get more info on that subject. I would not be surprised to see us stuck with buses (and a lousy connection at Union) for some years. So much for a “transit first” approach to the Waterfront."

I'm not sure how transit can be viewed as gravy, no matter what side of the poltical spectrum you are on. Any politician who would make such a claim, and in a Toronto context yet, should be laughed right out of town.

Ford train wreck about to happen

http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/City+wants+faster+sale+port+Lands/4598945/story.html

I'm sorry, but I don't see how Ford can meddle in Waterfront Toronto without slowing everything down materially. He wants lower salaries, faster sales (of what? Land that's actually owned by Build Toronto? Then why doesn't he just sell it?), more construction, no TTC costs, but lots of development fees. How does he square that circle?

I wasn't a particular fan of Ford when he was elected, and thought it would be funny to watch his supporters start to turn on him once they realized how much his cuts were going to hurt the city. It's not even the cutting of costs that is the issue, but rather his obliviousness. Has he not been down to the waterfront in the past three-five years?

He's a bigger train wreck than I thought. However, given the fact that Chris Selley had to issue a mea culpa after actually going down to the waterfront instead of whingeing about it from Don Mills, maybe Mayor Ford should venture out of his Etobicoke redoubt and see what there is to see downtown...

This is disgusting news and feels like the early stages of an attempt to paint Waterfront Toronto as an ineffective government agency. They want to sell the city-owned land to developers outside of the purview of Waterfront Toronto -- this could very well lead to the exact same mistakes that were made with the waterfront in the 1980s.

Put another way: Concord will be happy to buy up the land and build CityPlace 2 on the East Bayfront. But shouldn't we aim a little higher?

I wrote more about this here: http://fordfortoronto.mattelliott.ca/2011/04/12/waterfront/

Is there a serious plan in place to have this line extended east, and if so, when ? Last Saturday, ( glorious day in the city ), I was in TO doing the walking tour of downtown, checking construction sites of course. As I watched streetcars on the truncated waterfront line , I thought this line's such a natural to be extended . Is the city waiting for development to justify the extension east ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back