Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

We've lived in the area for five years now and go to Sugar Beach and the promenade a lot, and every year it seems to crumble a bit more.

With 15 years of Rob Ford and John Tory in charge, this was pretty much inevitable, but we could do so much better.

Do you see any of the new candidates changing that though ? I don't :(

I did a walk here during the ULI event last week. The tour leader was involved in creating this area. Mentioned they are mystified why the trees are all of sudden suffering. They are investigating. He also pointed out a couple of trees next to a condo (Aqualina I think) that are shorter than the others. Seems someone living in the condo was concerned about losing their view so they cut off the tops! I'm talking 20 feet up.

I did a walk here during the ULI event last week. The tour leader was involved in creating this area. Mentioned they are mystified why the trees are all of sudden suffering. They are investigating.

I've discussed here what affected the trees at least 2 of the last years. (see post on Cottony Maple Scale, below)

That said; the scale is not typically lethal, so there are likely other factors at play.

There is a correlation, timing wise, between the underwater works that have been carried out the last 2 years next to the promenade and a decline in tree health, this could be a coincidence or there may be some relationship.

The trees have reached a very mature state (size) at this point, which does make me wonder about soil volumes, root girdling, access to moisture, and nutrients. Larger trees need more everything to thrive; that said, the typical response
of many species to under nourishment or finite moisture, once established, is to just level off in growth to match the resources available.

That's how you get tiny little cedars growing out of cracks on the side of the Escarpment. They grow as much as the moisture and nutrients and root growth space allow and then stop.

The one thing I will say with more certainty though is this, the decline in tree health here really illustrates the risk of going with an allee of a single tree species for any distance. If something goes wrong, all the trees are at risk, this is most particularly true when all of the trees are clones as is this case here.

He also pointed out a couple of trees next to a condo (Aqualina I think) that are shorter than the others. Seems someone living in the condo was concerned about losing their view so they cut off the tops! I'm talking 20 feet up.

I hope that person has been identified and charged.

Last edited:
I did a walk here during the ULI event last week. The tour leader was involved in creating this area. Mentioned they are mystified why the trees are all of sudden suffering. They are investigating. He also pointed out a couple of trees next to a condo (Aqualina I think) that are shorter than the others. Seems someone living in the condo was concerned about losing their view so they cut off the tops! I'm talking 20 feet up.
I cannot see how 'someone living in a condo' could cut the tops of annoying trees 20 feet in the air. Much more likely that the cutting was done by a construction crew working on the building because 'they were in our way'. Not that they should have done this, of course, and they should certainly be investigated and suitably punished but ...

Dear Stakeholder,

Waterfront Toronto is working on the final piece of a large Stormwater Management System that services East Bayfront, the West Don Lands and future communities north of the Keating Channel.

The final piece includes construction of in-water pipes along the section of the Water’s Edge Promenade spanning the foot of Sherbourne Common from approximately Dockside Drive to the southern point of 15 Merchants’ Wharf, also known as the Aqualina at Bayside condos.

Beginning July 4, the construction fencing installed along 160 metres of the Water’s Edge Promenade (WEP) will be removed to increase the width of the WEP for pedestrian and cyclist access. A temporary fence has been placed along the southern edge of the WEP closest to the water to protect the In-Water Pipes. After the outer fence is removed, work will begin to restore the WEP back to its original condition.

Construction work will continue on occasional Saturdays until the completion of the project. As per the City of Toronto’s bylaw, construction work on Saturday will take place between the hours of 9am-7pm on the waterside of the Water’s Edge Promenade.

During construction, moderate vibrations and noise near the site are expected as well as vessels in the water. Pedestrians and cyclists will still have access to the full length of the WEP during this time.

Waterfront Toronto will continue to provide construction updates as plans are finalized and work progresses.

Please feel free to circulate this information to your networks to help keep them informed. Attached is a PDF copy of the construction notice. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to follow up with us.

Here is the new (and improved) fencing but it looks ominously 'permanent' so I suspect it will be a while before WT adds the 'decking' - too bad!

QQFence.jpg

Here is the new (and improved) fencing but it looks ominously 'permanent' so I suspect it will be a while before WT adds the 'decking' - too bad!

View attachment 490480

I will say, the trees don't look too bad in that shot.

Have you (or has anyone reading) had any update from WT on the trees?

Not combining the decking with the rest of the work was a mistake - the go ahead of this bit alone should not have been approved.

AoD

I had to go back to 2021 to find the awarded tender.........

It seems to suggest that the boardwalk is included.

1688748901015.png

I have not and there are certainly some dead or dying trees along the walkway - some marked with the orange 'dot of death'. I hope the City does panting in the fall!

I would prefer they planted instead, but I take your point! LOL

Back