Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

I'm not exactly sure what to make of the two large rocks yet. Does anyone know if the gaps will be filled?

My guess is that they will do what they did with the rock in Yorkville's park, which is fill in the seams with a "grout" made from the same kind of rock, so that it blends in (somewhat).

Not 100% sure how it will deal with all the cracks - but the overall piece is supposed to receive some red thermoplastic add-on to mimic candy-stripes.

AoD

I would assume that the cracks won't be noticeable due to it being striped to look like candy.
The progress down there is really great! Can't wait to check it out when it's done.

From Jill Anholt's website:

http://www.jillanholt.ca/projects/light-showers

Apparently, one of the negative effects of these fountains is that they will absorb you if you get too close:

4474101953_a12e2052a0_o.jpg

Not 100% sure how it will deal with all the cracks - but the overall piece is supposed to receive some red thermoplastic add-on to mimic candy-stripes.

AoD
I think that this discussion of rock should be in the "Canada's Sugar Beach" thread as there are no large rock-outcrops in Sherbourne Park and the candy stripes are supposed to mimic the 'rock' sold at British seaside resorts.

Last edited:
We don't have a Sugar Beach thread. The posts regarding that project so far have mostly been made in the Corus Quay thread, but many posts regarding it are also found in the East Bayfront Overview thread, and the Waterfront Head of Slips thread, and random others scattered in other related threads. I think that as Sugar Beach and Sherbourne Park are being construction simultaneously and in close proximity, and reported on by the same developer (WaterfronToronto) in single documents, we might as well add the name Sugar Beach to this thread. I wouldn't expect all references to Sugar Beach to drop from all other threads, but most new ones will most likely be drawn here.

From The Star

Hume's Waterfront Tour: Toronto's newest beach set to open

It may be called Canada's Sugar Beach, but it belongs to Toronto.

Sitting at the foot of Jarvis St., south of Queen's Quay, this small facility remains a construction site. When finished, it will include a maple-leaf shaped splash pad, a sandy beach, tree-lined promenade, numerous pink umbrellas as well as two large rock outcroppings hacked out of the ground in Quebec and re-installed here.

Click here to watch the video

Designed by Montreal landscape architect Claude Cormier, Sugar Beach will be a great place to watch tankers being unloaded at the Redpath sugar refinery just across the slip. It is also well situated for attending events that occur on the Corus Entertainment headquarters now under construction directly to the east.

Though some might wonder the decision to put a beach in a former industrial location such as this, there's no doubt this is a project remarkable for its urbanity. This is the sort of place that cities usually try to ignore. This time around, it has been celebrated. It might take a bit of getting used to, but so far the chances of success look good. The facility won't be large, but its location opens up an important spot on the waterfront and makes it attractive as well as accessible. It will also help get people to the water's edge and the promenade that will eventually carry on east to Parliament St. and beyond.

Canada's Sugar Beach will open in late June.

I love these videos. I hope he does more of them, showing off what's going on in the city development wise.
I'm excited to visit this spot personally, and watch the ships :)

Not letting the rain discourage my spirit, or socks, i snapped some pictures on my cellphone. Both parks are mostly giant piles of dirt right now, but progress is evident. that giant rock from the canadian shield has been put in Sugar Beach.

Sherbourne Park:
4504006544_a997c4afac_b.jpg

4503374933_ae1c82fe6b_b.jpg

4503375379_d8971645f5_b.jpg

Chugar Beach:

4503374347_0273bb117e_b.jpg

4504006100_7e6e89e5d5_b.jpg

I find Corus to be quite interesting upon closer inspection, however the unfortunate part is the dull colour choice for the glazing. It really exaggerates its bulk when a lighter shade would've helped make it look less overbearing.

Back