Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

This is old and it's likely posted elsewhere on the site ... so don't shoot me.

But, to remind everyone what's going on in the East Bayfront (in a short and concise way) and a time line of sorts please refer too:

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//48bd68db03394.pdf

A couple of milestones highlighted in the above have been achieved now i.e. deciding on the developer for the first residential phase.

This is pretty exciting stuff. If you think about it many parts of the GTA are being intensified:
Downtown Markham and area.
MCC Parkside
Vaughn Corporate Center
Yonge - Hi-way 7
Toronto Portlands.

I'm willing to place a bet the port lands will turn out the nicest come 20-30 years but it's not a fair comparison really. Either way - keep em coming!

This is going to become one of the city's best parks when all is said and done. Theres the pavillion with what looks like a little shop (possibly cafe?), washrooms, lots of trees and open space, a water feature, and it will be surrounded by development and the lake. The skating rink during the winter will ensure that the park is used year round.

Once again, its too bad we can't speed up the rate at which tree's grow.

torontovibe:

You should take a look at this presentation from the WT board meeting last week:

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//4b2bd85cf252b.pdf

Things are moving along very nicely I would say.

AoD

Yeah but you realize, most of that was East Bayfront, not West Don Lands. I'm sure there are things going on I can't see from the street but I go by there all the time and see very few people on that site. You never see much happening, just a few guys walking around.

Torontovibe:

Actually some of the slides shows the work at WDL - which is dominated by the flood protection landform (FPL) and associated infrastructure like sewers - other projects has to be timed so that completion happens AFTER that work is done. Also keep in mind that we have one project in sales phases and another TCHC building in the works , and that the Pan Am games will speed things up considerably- more update here:

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//4b2be3267cb9a.pdf

AoD

PS: This isn't the WDL thread.

Last edited:
Torontovibe:

Actually some of the slides shows the work at WDL - which is dominated by the flood protection landform (FPL) and associated infrastructure like sewers - other projects has to be timed so that completion happens AFTER that work is done. Also keep in mind that we have one project in sales phases and another TCHC building in the works , and that the Pan Am games will speed things up considerably- more update here:

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/dbdocs//4b2be3267cb9a.pdf

AoD

PS: This isn't the WDL thread.

Yeah, I just realized that, so I deleted it. Thanks.

This is pretty exciting stuff. If you think about it many parts of the GTA are being intensified:
Downtown Markham and area.
MCC Parkside
Vaughn Corporate Center
Yonge - Hi-way 7
Toronto Portlands.

Downtown Markham is NOT good intesification. It reminds me of the Scarborough Town Centre, just going to be more big box stores.

Downtown Markham is NOT good intesification. It reminds me of the Scarborough Town Centre, just going to be more big box stores.

Really?
Kindly point out where do you see big box stores anywhere in the plan
It's actually a pretty decent attempt at intensification.

My girlfriend lives just east of there, on McCowan. I agree with you that it is better than 'traditional' suburban development, I'm just skeptical that the suburbs can ever really be made into true cities. The attempt may be well meaning, but people up there simply don't WANT intesification.

North York's "downtown" is turning out quite well around Yonge. There's a mix of uses and lots of pedestrians. Transit ridership is high. I think it's the best suburban centre.

Scarborough's centre is more than big boxes. A lot of residential condos have gone up and there's greater employment density, though it doesn't feel that urban on the streets.

This is a little off topic, but does Toronto actually complete their projects according to their deadlines?

I just find it hard to believe the West Don Lands, The East Bayfront and Lower Don Lands will be completed in 5 years. That is what I read in the planning reports.

Back