Toronto Sherbourne Common, Canada's Sugar Beach, and the Water's Edge Promenade | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto | Teeple Architects

Why is it that so few of Ontario's beaches have foot washing stations to wash off sand. None if Toronto's beaches have this except for one hidden one at Hanlans point. The big parks like Wasaga and Sandbanks don't even have these simple amenities that are standard throughout the world. All we seem to care about is calling our beaches Blue flag beaches, which means jack shit in real terms.

Let your feet dry and then wipe the sand off. It's done all over the world.

Here is the Blue Flag link - to help better inform yourself of the "real terms" of the program.

http://www.blueflag.org/

Ya, I'm not surprised to hear the cigarette butts. It's definitely gonna be from people at the Guvernment. Most of the people that go to that club are idiots who only care about getting their next fix. They probably go there and pretend they're in Ibiza.

When it's officially open, there will probably be more enforcement by police and/or security. At least I hope. Then again, the Guvernment isn't going to be around forever either.

Most of the cigarette butts I noticed were located right around the chairs. I noticed a few people smoking too, none of them club goers (I didn't see what they did with their cigarettes, but they were magically gone when they got up to leave). At this point, I don't think it's clubgoers at all, especially since the direct entrance is fenced off.

The assertion that the butts can only belong to the people who go to the Government is clearly not accurate.

People smoke throughout this city and they leave their butts everywhere. And making a blanket statement stating that most people in clubs are idiots that care only about their next fix is a naive generalization. That could be said about any club goer at any club or pub or lounge. Truth be told though, we're a society as a whole that's always looking for our next "fix". Caffeine, sugar, prescription drugs, recreational drugs, alcohol, weed, nicotine, etc.

Entirely too many of us are addicted to something now.

Last edited:
The assertion that the butts can only belong to the people who go to the Government is clearly not accurate.
I wouldn't say it's that clear. Most of us are in agreement here, including the Parks & Rec department. So far only you (and one other guy who is notorious for defending clubbers and clubs) seem to disagree.

People smoke throughout this city and they leave their butts everywhere.
Yeah, but there's a high concentration of butts here right across the street from the nightclub.

And making a blanket statement stating that most people in clubs are idiots that care only about their next fix is a naive generalization. That could be said about any club goer at any club or pub or lounge.
Right, and "any club" in this case is specifically the Guverment (not sure how this helps your point??? In the first sentence quoted above, you pointed out a naive blanket statement. Then you proceeded to make an even bigger and more naive blanket statement -- your words, not mine -- about the exact same thing in the second sentence.)

Truth be told though, we're a society as a whole that's always looking for our next "fix". Caffeine, sugar, prescription drugs, recreational drugs, alcohol, weed, nicotine, etc.
Hahaha, where did this come from, and where's grandpa_simpson.jpg when I need it?

Entirely too many of us are addicted to something now.
Like undue pessimism and cynicism. *Cough*

Last edited:
OMG this is just another disgusting waste of taxpayers dollars!! What a sign of communist silly hall, I hope Rob Ford removes these parks when he becomes mayor!!

Besides I thought we were supposed to be a WORLD CLASS CITY?? I can;t think of any other world class cities who spend MILLIONS of dollars on parks. Once again Millers Toronto is the laughing stock of the PLANET!

OMG this is just another disgusting waste of taxpayers dollars!! What a sign of communist silly hall, I hope Rob Ford removes these parks when he becomes mayor!!

Besides I thought we were supposed to be a WORLD CLASS CITY?? I can;t think of any other world class cities who spend MILLIONS of dollars on parks. Once again Millers Toronto is the laughing stock of the PLANET!

Who invited the crazy texan? LMFAO Remove parks? Yeah Toronto has its problems, but I can think of many cities built and run the way you seem to wish that are doing much worse, and many that are more, in your words "communist" that are run a ton better than Toronto. I think the last thing we need to do here is to remove parks...

Looks like Socrates has been banned again. The hemlock was forced on him this time around.

Ah well, back to the beach.

This is probably beginning to be a bit off-topic (maybe more deserving in the Toronto Issues section) but perhaps Toronto can do what Vancouver is doing at their beaches and parks.

From the Globe Vancouver's Beach Smoking Ban Arrives Early
Vancouver — The Canadian Press Published on Tuesday, Jul. 27, 2010 10:13AM EDT Last updated on Tuesday, Jul. 27, 2010 10:20AM EDT

All Vancouver beaches and parks will be smoke free, starting Wednesday.

Vancouver Park Board commission Ian Robertson says smoking will be banned because of extremely dry conditions.

He says the ban is an “early warning” because it effectively advances the implementation of a permanent smoking ban that was due to begin in September.

The full smoking ban covers all parks, beaches and outdoor park board facilities such as golf courses.

Just received a response to my email complaining about cigarette butts at Sugar Beach and they directed me to this item. Very good news, I had no idea they were planning this and were so far along.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The health and well-being of children in our public spaces is a priority for the City of Toronto. The plan to prohibit smoking and the holding of lighted tobacco in Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation zoos, farms and within a nine-metre radius of playground safety surfaces or any playground equipment in City of Toronto parks, including wading pools and splash pads, will ensure that children have healthy environments in which to play.

Second-hand smoke is a Class A carcinogen linked to cancer, increased risk of heart disease and respiratory illness. Outdoor concentrations of second-hand smoke have been found to rival those of indoor second-hand smoke during periods of active smoking (depending on the direction of the wind and the distance from the smoker).

Children are also influenced by the behaviour of others, and we should work together to provide them with healthy role models.

The City solicitor will apply to the Province for the set fines to be imposed for the new offences created by the by-law. It is expected that the by-law will come into effect sometime this spring, after the set fines have been approved. Enforcement will be managed through Parks, Forestry and Recreation with an initial focus on public awareness and education.

I don't think banning smoking is the solution - the problem is people casually disposing of the cigarette butts. Besides, who is going to enforce the ban? What of spaces outside that 9m radius?

AoD

Back