Toronto Seventy5 Portland | ?m | 11s | Freed | Core Architects

Re: Site

Of course Babel, but there was a means-to-an-end argument concerning aesthetic integrity that I was trying to articulate, but alas, no luck.

I understand that, and maybe clever marketing will weed out all but the most anal-retentive purchasers for this building - leaving only people who keep every little thing tucked in, buttoned down and under wraps at all times. Then the balconies will always be spare, and elegant, and undefiled by human intervention. Rather like in the rendering - a few lounge chairs with people sitting in them just-so, some topiary, some unoccupied chairs, all glimpsed through frosted glass balcony fronts.

I understand that, and maybe clever marketing will weed out all but the most anal-retentive purchasers for this building - leaving only people who keep every little thing tucked in, buttoned down and under wraps at all times.

...They don't exist. Which is why such a need for Purity is a fault in a condo tower. It's an architectural pipe dream that makes for good renderings but is impossible to realize, no matter how strict the rules.

Me, I like the design in Platonic form, but -- as with the neighbouring buildings on Stewart St. -- the details will probably be disappointing.

I approve too! It looks like a smaller, more stylish and more creative One City Hall.

I don't like it at all... too brutalish (if that's a word) - I thought we were past that.

I also don't like One City Hall - way to much blank concrete in geometric shapes... it's not going to age well.

Contrast that to the Met, which, while it will age, it won't look hopelessly outdated.

Remember that the infamous 77 Elm was once considered a great design (and still is, by some).

I'm not sure if 77 Elm ever was "once" considered a great design--if anything, its Paul Rudolphian cragginess would have already seemed a bizarrely retardataire embarrassment when it was built in the early 80s. And Uno Prii at large was still that guy who designed all those tacky and anti-urban 60s pop-modern apartment towers, as opposed to that guy who designed all those kewl and funky 60s pop-modern apartment towers.

Any "great design" judgment comes from the recent past, through the "rediscovery" of Prii...

Zena Cherry of the Globe said of 77 Elm at the time it was completed, "It looks like a beautiful sculpture". So someone, somewhere, thought it was a great design. It's certainly true, though, about being retardaire, nothing like it had been built, even in Toronto, in years.

Is it not our Trellick Tower? Treasured by some, misunderstood by many.

Contrast that to the Met, which, while it will age, it won't look hopelessly outdated.

Really? I would say the opposite. It's a strange hybrid of commercial-looking curtain wall and halfhearted-pomo precast, all in lumpy, half-cylindrical form... very 2005.

Far from the ugliest new tower in town, but it doesn't have the unity and integrity that makes for timelessness.

But what does? I say 18 Yorkville.

I've never thought to comment on the Met, simply because it is so ordinary looking. The best I can say is that it is marginally more appealing than the Tutti Frutti building next door - and it contributes to the back-to-the-womb, all-hemmed-in-and-urban, canyon effect so prized hereabouts.

You can never tell what will look dated and ridiculous in the future. I mean, in 1986, people thought polka dots, huge shoulder pads, huge hair, and purple and green straight from the Christian Dior Poison purfume ads looked fantastic. And they did - then. Now, not so much.

I bought a Halston polka dot tie in the Goodwill a couple of weeks ago. The white dots, on a mulberry/plum background, are just the right size, and not spaced too tightly. If you're a slave to fashion you will naturally be crestfallen when trends change, but if you don't give a damn about it you're laughing.

Same with apartments, all those studio and loft spaces with huge windows that nobody can push their furniture up against because they're prisoners of some marketing ploy that has convinced them they're artists or something and need wide open minimalist spaces with plenty of natural light to live in.

Halston before? or after he lost his name to his licensees? Or Halston 123 for JC Penny?

I'm only a slave to the rhythm...

No idea. I liked the unusual colour, the size and spacing of the white dots, the width and the texture of the tie. I dress primarily to express myself through colour ... and to keep my gboykovekin tendencies in check.

Back