Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

Hopefully now that Loblaws et al has finsihed figuring out the plan and layout for maple leaf gardens, they will figure out what they are going to finally do with their bathurst and lakeshore property...

March 19th Update

More on the mystery hole in the middle of the building on Wood Street (below) plus the north-west Wood Street entrance is now covered in plywood. The delivery ramp on Wood was also open, I looked inside and from what I could see they've done a lot of work stripping the place out. The north Church Street entrance was also open, as seen below.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

The Gardens has been a beehive of activity this week

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Wood Street:

Church Street

WOW. They did not waste any time on this one since the decision with Ryerson :O

I want that Loblaws as soon as possible... definitely where I'll go for my groceries.

It is kind of ...almost spooky... seeing all that history coming to life again. There is no doubt, this building was a temple of hockey and an incredible place for Leafs' fans. Imagine what a glorious moment it would be for a college team to win in there! And maybe a Leafs' special game? Hmm...

That's an excellent find.

I trust the engineers, I'm sure they have the best there but looking at some of those pictures with the raked seating gone makes me very nervous.

This was my first thought looking at the images as well: much was made of the essential buttressing quality of those stands. The installation of cross-bars between pillars undoes my vision of stooping under a skeletal version of these structures while selecting produce!

drandroiduK is right. During the day you can't see anything. Too bright outside, too dark inside. You can't make anything out with the human eye, never mind a camera. Absolutely no way to photograph that during the day.

The view through that hole is amazing! After dark (complete dark), the view is spectacular!

I would love to photograph this. Guess what? The camera frizted on Sat. Killed yet again by bad timing!

If anyone wants to photograph this, I'd love to see it! This will require a good tripod or a damn good knee, but we've lots of that here!

Images for lost Toronto I suspect.

Last edited:
malg1.jpg

malg2.jpg

malg3.jpg

Great shots! It'll be interesting to see what Ryerson does to commemorate the history of the building once it reopens.

Anyway, I found a few pictures of the Forum in Montreal for a comparison. I think it should be agreed that the Gardens reno respects its heritage quite a bit more.

Montreal_Forum%2C_1950s.png

Today (its called the Pepsi Forum now)
forum_pepsi.jpg

As you can see, we show a lot more recognition of our past as we reconstruct our beloved shrine to hockey.

Back