Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

Actually, I think the Days Inn is being rebranded as a Holiday Inn.

Hmm, you learn something new everyday. Oh well, Holiday Inn has a cool new logo too.
That little pharmacy actually has a really nice facade, it's just a bit beaten up. I'm sure if it gets redone they'll replace all of that real stone with stucco or EIFS, so I'd prefer they leave it.

I agree however I think I may be the only one on UrbanToronto who likes stucco (even if it is ubiquitous). We shall see.

SVP

So, no signs of construction activity on site, apart from Ryerson/Loblaw signage? Supposedly they're digging below grade and pouring slabs...

Well, most work is taking place on the interior anyway, so I don't think we'll see much in the way of construction outside yet.

I agree however I think I may be the only one on UrbanToronto who likes stucco (even if it is ubiquitous). We shall see.
SVP

Maybe the point is more that, Main Drug Mart signage aside, it's one of the few remaining minor Moderne things in the neighbourhood--could use restoration rather than stuccoing...

Here's some shots from this morning...

***Anyone know if there is a thread on the new Holiday Inn replacing the Days Inn?... If there is please tell me or feel free to post these there :)

***Notice all the empty floors/units in the former Days Inn!!! Its kinda spooky....

From Days to Holidays!

4435339919_6c19a3205c_b.jpg

4436112846_5b64837574_b.jpg

In addition, anybody else think that the Main Drug Mart on the corner could use a new facade?

SVP

A lot of stucco is already falling to the ground from the lower 3 or 4 feet of the building. Most times I walk by there's a pile of it on the ground. This building has quite a history. It was originally the home to Warner Brothers Canada until they moved up to North York, then the Toronto International Film Festival ran out of there for about a decade, the Toronto Maple Leaf organization did some time there before they moved into their new digs on lower Bay followed by the drug store/labratory.

Just bought a unit at the MET across the street. Very excited to have a Loblaws across the way-- when is it expected to open? Two years?

I wonder if it's going to increase the values of units in the area-- can't hurt to have a big, vibrant market and sports complex nearby in a historical art-deco building.

Just bought a unit at the MET across the street. Very excited to have a Loblaws across the way-- when is it expected to open? Two years?

I wonder if it's going to increase the values of units in the area-- can't hurt to have a big, vibrant market and sports complex nearby in a historical art-deco building.

Congratulations on your purchase! (my grandma has one there too :) )!

The loblaws should be open in a year :)!

The original MET sales literature made a big deal of the up-and-coming Loblaws, and this was in 2005/2006. I venture to think that Encore/MET owners are this projects' biggest cheerleaders, for property value pop and the satisfaction of realized expectations.

Incidentally, when did those incongruous stone-wall features get installed in the Church Street facing, and please affirm that they are being blasted into outer space?

Back