Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

From the above link:
yJKJw.jpg

Easily the coolest picture I've seen of this project.

^ Agreed. At least it's not back lit vinyl.

I'm going to the Ryerson Rams hockey game tonight, $12 in and i heard a rumor that beers are only $3 or so.

I wonder if it will be lit up blue and yellow?

Here's the answer, lit up for the first time tonight. Sorry for the blooming, it's the best that I could do in the cold tonight. There's no blue or yellow, it's black on white and although a bit too bright (IMO) it's not as bright as it appears in the photo below

Jan 26 @ sunset -

Last edited:
http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/01/are_loblaws_and_davids_tea_killing_church_street/

Are Loblaws and David's Tea killing Church Street?

Posted by Robyn Urback / JANUARY 23, 2013

The big names on the block are now David's Tea, ACME Burger, Second Cup, and, of course Loblaws. And longtime Church and Wellesley institutions — Reither's Fine Foods and the Barn, to name a couple — have packed up and left, taking a little independent character with them.

And with neighbourhood gift shop Flatiron's set to close its doors in March, it looks like rising rents and encroaching chains might change the Village for good.

More in-depth story in this Xtra news article:

http://www.xtra.ca/public/Toronto/a...ay_flags_on_the_street_anymoreapos-13050.aspx

Here's the answer, lit up for the first time tonight. Sorry for the blooming, it's the best that I could do in the cold tonight. There's no blue or yellow, it's black on white and although a bit too bright (IMO) it's not as bright as it appears in the photo below

I saw it riding back along Carlton last night, and it does look respectful at street level, being a white/yellow indirect backlit sign, and fits in much better than RU blue and yellow.

The Church/Wellesley Village BIA has been trying to take the gay out of The Gay Village for a while now. (well, ever since a straight business owner became the head of the BIA) They have closed down some of the gay events, so I am not surprised to hear that the rainbow flags have come down. Just the name of the BIA tells you something. Why was the word gay taken out of it? What makes this area a "Village" if it's not the gay aspect? (nothing) There would be no reason at all to call this area a village. Do we call Jarvis or Sherbourne a village? No because there is nothing that unites it or charecterizes it as one, so what's the point? The Church/Wellesly Village BIA just wants to exploit the gay dollar, while doing everything to make it seem less gay. It's like Taking the Italian out of Little Italy.

Supposedly they put up 2 Pride (rainbow) markers for World Pride but then why would the pride flags come down? It makes no sense.

http://www.blogto.com/city/2013/01/are_loblaws_and_davids_tea_killing_church_street/

Are Loblaws and David's Tea killing Church Street?

Posted by Robyn Urback / JANUARY 23, 2013

The big names on the block are now David's Tea, ACME Burger, Second Cup, and, of course Loblaws
Robyn Urback obviously doesn't know anything about the history of Church Street. There was a time when the Second Cup at Church & Wellesley was THE big name as were its famous steps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Robyn Urback obviously doesn't know anything about the history of Church Street. There was a time when the Second Cup at Church & Wellesley was THE big name as were its famous steps.

That "article" was poorly written, and the author is getting it in the comments section. "Loblaws, you ho, this is all your fault." I hope that was meant to be a joke. If anything, Loblaws may help save/revitalize the neighborhood, as people (gay and straight) were abandoning the dreary, out-of-date stores on Church St. Loblaws might as well be Woody's with all the gay people in there at any one time. And David's brings a stylish, modern tea shop experience. It's a sign that the other retailers/bar/restaurants in the neighborhood must keep up with the times in order to attract the gay, and increasingly straight, people in the 'hood. And when Aura, and later 1 Bloor East, open, people will be drawn to those areas, away from Church/Wellesley. Loblaws may be the one magnet that keeps people coming back.

Just noticed that one of the commenters linked to a Toronto Star article from October 2009: Exodus sees Church St. losing its gay village identity. People have been bemoaning the death of Church/Wellesley for years. But of course, all neighborhoods change. Is Chinatown (Dundas-Spadina) the same as it once was? Is Yorkville the same as it once was? Regent Park? Harbourfront? And look at the totally new areas arising, like Southcore, Distillery District, Canary District. The Maple Leaf Gardens-Loblaws-Mattamy complex is really one of the big positives for downtown. That some 'old favorites' might suffer is unfortunate, but new flowers will bloom. To me, downtown Toronto has improved over 10, 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Back