Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

While I'm not an English major, I believe our language is so archaic and all over the map is due to its evolution from many languages. If you look at the evolution of English, our words are derived from ancient Greek, Roman, French, and so on. Also, I believe the many words ending in -re were originally spelled like that, rather it was the Americans changing it to -er as if to say 'see, we're not British'. Same thing goes for the extra 'u' in many -our words.

Language in general has a natural tendency to economize, simplify and become more logical as it evolves, which is what American usage exemplifies.

If "logic" and "simplicity" were important linguistic criteria, we'd all be speaking Esperanto.

I thought there were going to be 5000 seats for the hockey arena not 2500, would be cool if they used the maple leaf gardens seats and if the bottom seats were gold and the top were blue and its too bad they had to gut the whole buliding just leaving the shell of it

I thought there were going to be 5000 seats for the hockey arena not 2500, would be cool if they used the maple leaf gardens seats and if the bottom seats were gold and the top were blue and its too bad they had to gut the whole buliding just leaving the shell of it

There was no way to efficiently re-use the building without gutting it, what they're doing inside is quite the engineering marvel actually. I don't think there was anything of significance inside, just memories of events gone by. We should be thankful that the deal between Loblaws, Ryerson and the government infused cash all came together as we could have lost the building altogether in the next decade had it been left to the elements.

Canadian English strikes me as archaic and regressive. There is no reason for the 'u' in colour or the 're' in theatre save pretence or the political meaning we confer to these things in a 'see, we're not American!' kind of way. Pathetic. Language in general has a natural tendency to economize, simplify and become more logical as it evolves, which is what American usage exemplifies. Freezing language through over-codification does nothing in the long run be make it increasingly irrelevant... like French.

Canadian English spelling doesn't really exist. We just pick and choose whether we like the British (colour) or American (analyze) spelling better. So even if a Canadian wanted to be "consistent", what does that mean? Being consistent with which particular variant is listed first in the Canadian Oxford? Or consistent with either the British or American variants? I don't think any of that consistency is possible, because what looks correct to any particular person varies. I think the only thing that could really identify a Canadian piece of writing versus British or American is using both British and American terms/spellings inconsistently.

Canadian English strikes me as archaic and regressive. There is no reason for the 'u' in colour or the 're' in theatre save pretence or the political meaning we confer to these things in a 'see, we're not American!' kind of way. Pathetic. Language in general has a natural tendency to economize, simplify and become more logical as it evolves, which is what American usage exemplifies. Freezing language through over-codification does nothing in the long run be make it increasingly irrelevant... like French.

Increasingly irrelevant? Right. It could also be argued that English became dominant because it is the world's baby-talk, and that its terminal vagueness is actually an obstacle to communication. Cessez de parler à tort et à travers!

There was no way to efficiently re-use the building without gutting it, what they're doing inside is quite the engineering marvel actually. I don't think there was anything of significance inside, just memories of events gone by. We should be thankful that the deal between Loblaws, Ryerson and the government infused cash all came together as we could have lost the building altogether in the next decade had it been left to the elements.

thats true. looking forward to see mlg when its all done. they should get Paul Morris to be the pa announcer for the hockey games lol

Ground floor scaffolding and hoarding are going up-- looks like the exterior is about to get its makeover.

Ground floor scaffolding and hoarding are going up-- looks like the exterior is about to get its makeover.

It is a shame I won't get to see the fieldstone panels on Church removed. I had my camera primed for that happy moment.

Fosters Gondala was put in the Incenerator (sic?) back in 1981 to make room for the Suites/ luxory boxes (just from stories I read, i have no proof of this)

Damn that is unfortunate.. a good piece of history there.
Stupid Harold Ballard...

anyways, this is Wikipedia's answer, which seems to agree with what you said:

"Hewitt's original gondola from Maple Leaf Gardens was dismantled, then dumped into an incinerator in August 1979 to make room for private boxes, under the MLG leadership of Harold Ballard."

Feidlstone panels?

Are those , what looks like a "stone wall" on church next to the hot stove entrance?

Why woudl they remove those? and if so, I thougth the 'facade' was to stay 'intact'???

Back