Toronto Ryerson Student Learning Centre | 50.59m | 8s | Ryerson University | Zeidler

Here is a blown up screen cap from just now:

ha9uU.jpg

it is amazing how flat the stretch between Dundas and Gerrard is. Hardly anything above 3 storeys high.
Hopefully this thing will jazz things up a bit.

I've passed by the test glass so many times, wondering what the heck they were building there. I did not expect it to be test glass at all. Looks pretty awesome though, but ya, where's the white?

thats... interesting. I was expecting it to be whiter.

I've passed by the test glass so many times, wondering what the heck they were building there. I did not expect it to be test glass at all. Looks pretty awesome though, but ya, where's the white?

The ceramic/fritted sections look pretty white to me!

Last edited:
Tell me about it..... Id say that in 10-20 years, half of those derilict run of the mill 3 storey structures will have been replaced.:eek:

Look forward to it. Preferably the same for Dundas West and Queen West, both high traffic retail streets.
Although some might say "it is destroying our heritage, our soul" etc. I hope Toronto's soul doesn't lie in these 2 story shabby buildings.

Look forward to it. Preferably the same for Dundas West and Queen West, both high traffic retail streets.
Although some might say "it is destroying our heritage, our soul" etc. I hope Toronto's soul doesn't lie in these 2 story shabby buildings.

Too bad it does. How much character does Bay near Bloor have? How about Liberty Village?

maybe it is time for a new soul in that case. I like Bay/Bloor a lot more than say Queen/Spadina.

Really??? You like the "soul" or lack of soul, or rather forgettable feel that Bay and Bloor has compared to an established and much more lively streetscape and nbhd like Queen and Spadina? Based on the soul, when I think of the urban "soul" of an area, Queen and Spadina wins by a mile. And Im not speaking of Yorkville because that to me is an entirely different area than Bay Bloor, which is basically the Manulife centre and a bunch of forgettable boxes on the other three corners. The best thing in that nbhd is the scramble intersection. That isn't saying much...

Really??? You like the "soul" or lack of soul, or rather forgettable feel that Bay and Bloor has compared to an established and much more lively streetscape and nbhd like Queen and Spadina? Based on the soul, when I think of the urban "soul" of an area, Queen and Spadina wins by a mile. And Im not speaking of Yorkville because that to me is an entirely different area than Bay Bloor, which is basically the Manulife centre and a bunch of forgettable boxes on the other three corners. The best thing in that nbhd is the scramble intersection. That isn't saying much...

I was mostly talking about Yorkville.
However, even in the context of Manulife Center/Holt Renfrew, I still like the street between Yonge and Bay on Bloor W more than Queen/Spadina.

If all the buildings at Queen/Spadina are 4 storeys or taller, I will like it a lot more. I just really hate 1-3 storey houses with very narrow front but a big depth. On that particular corner, there is a 2 storey McDonald's, a 2 storey TD bank, a 3 storey CIBC, and a 3 storey chain Lettieri Cafe. That's our soul, banks and chain fast food? Doesn't seem to be more interesting or prettier than Bay/Bloor, does it?

Darling, there is no way that Nicolas Ghesquière designed these opinions.

Fans of tall shiny objects will be pleased to hear at least a dozen such structures are in the early planning stages for this stretch of Yonge--Dundas to Wellesley. Nimbies will be shocked; architects will be mocked; flippers will be rocked.

Good scoop! Will this be commercial, cultural, office or the long-rumoured very tall residential planned for this area, specifically the current Forever 21 site?

Also, will these structures have as much as more LED/neon/media towers as was originally planned for this area?

Too bad the most exciting tall project for Yonge between Dundas and Bloor was scrapped. That was a BIG/Bjarke Ingels design, but as far as I know it's not happening anymore.

Last edited:

Back