Toronto Roncesvalles Lofts | ?m | 6s | Triumph | David Peterson

In case anyone doesn't want to read through it, it passed.

A friend of mine purchased on the top floor with the 600 sq ft rooftop deck. Should be really nice in the summertime.

Thats good. Just had a read of the decision and still find it funny that the residents from the 8 story condo across the street were complaining.

Sept 2

IMG_sept-02-09-0192.jpg

IMG_sept-02-09-0193.jpg

IMG_sept-02-09-0194.jpg

IMG_sept-02-09-0195.jpg

IMG_sept-02-09-0196.jpg

IMG_sept-02-09-0197.jpg

IMG_sept-02-09-0202.jpg

IMG_sept-02-09-0203.jpg

IMG_sept-02-09-0204.jpg

IMG_sept-02-09-0205.jpg

Im sorry, but this thing is butt ugly.:eek:

This will be my first post on UrbanToronto. UT has been a great source of information and updates for me. I am one of the buyers of this "Ugly building"
I grew up in the Parkdale and Ronces, since I was 4 years old.
Bought my first pair of ice skates at Zellers, my barber shop is down the street as well as my yoga studio. I've moved in and out of the city but I knew would move back to this area.

The developer are the owners of lot, this is their first development. The supplied materials to the developers around the city which includes Phoebe and French Quarter...
Some positives are: They designed an internal courtyard which all units face. Considering the views around the building, that being garages and an the alleyway. There are two ponds in the court yard that gather storm water and replenish the internal garden. Water that would otherwise go through our sewers and into the lake ON. The hallways are open and not enclosed. Heating elements embedded in the concrete floors will disburse snow and ice.
With the thought that it would save on heating and cooling costs and ultimately energy that a traditional condo would need to do. There are deliberate cut out throughout the hallways that frame views of the sky and the tree tops. And all buyers have descent outdoor spaces, unlike traditional condos.
Quoting the Architect.
"I didn't want windows looking out on the lane anyway. One thing we did with the windows on the second storey is turn the window, so it faces into a window well...The material inside reflects the light, so you get diffused light into your bedroom and not the view." Peterson describes the building as subtractive.

"You start with a solid plate and then you start to carve away from it. What that really does for us is give us spaces that are not really outside, but not really inside, either."

So this note may be biased but hopefully perspective. It may be an ugly building but a well thought out building. I am excited in being a part of this neighbourhood and I know from speaking to other buyers they are as well...

I love this site!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
well, welcome to the forum, MachaiToto.....:)

And another very warm welcome MachaiToto and to the hood as well. I like the building it fits in well with the rest such as the stinson property and the Feather Factory Lofts. Some don't like it because its not 80 stories high oh well.

"You start with a solid plate and then you start to carve away from it. What that really does for us is give us spaces that are not really outside, but not really inside, either."

So this note may be biased but hopefully perspective. It may be an ugly building but a well thought out building. I am excited in being a part of this neighbourhood and I know from speaking to other buyers they are as well...

I love this site!!!

There have only been two posts in this thread claiming it's an ugly building, both from the same poster (Automation Gallery). It looks to be developing as designed, which most people were pretty positive about

And another very warm welcome MachaiToto and to the hood as well. I like the building it fits in well with the rest such as the stinson property and the Feather Factory Lofts. Some don't like it because its not 80 stories high oh well.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!
Thats what is great about this site. I just wanted to balance the negative comments with positive.

I like this building for the fact its not like most buildings out there. You either love it or hate it.

I'm holding my breath to see the end result in person, but those greenish yellow walls look awful in the photos. A blank wall of that stuff facing the laneway could look nasty. And in response to the architect's handling of the wall facing the laneway: even if the laneway is ugly, it can always be improved, and having windows on that side would probably reduce crime there of any kind.

Looking out from Roncesvalles Lofts...

It's not easy being green...
It sure doesn't coordinate with those green trees....

Attachments

• CIMG1413.jpg
    CIMG1413.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 327
  • CIMG1414.jpg
    CIMG1414.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 333
  • CIMG1431.jpg
    CIMG1431.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 329
  • CIMG1445.jpg
    CIMG1445.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 332
  • CIMG1440.jpg
    CIMG1440.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 580
  • CIMG1416.jpg
    CIMG1416.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 324
  • CIMG1485.jpg
    CIMG1485.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 317
  • CIMG1437.jpg
    CIMG1437.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 309
I like the building it fits in well with the rest such as the stinson property and the Feather Factory Lofts. Some don't like it because its not 80 stories high oh well.

Hey....Different strokes for different folks, nothing wrong with 5-6 storey structures as long as they fit in with the neighbourhood, which this eco-box does not appear to. And yes i do like 80 storey buildings where they belong, obviously Maggie not in this west end neighbourhood.

Back