Toronto Rogers Stadium at Downsview | ?m | ?s | Live Nation

ChesterCopperpot

Member Bio
Reaction score

Opening June 2025

LN2.jpg

That's quite the collaboration between two scum organizations (Rogers and Live Nation).

I dont know why the Premier and Live Nation are making such a big deal out of this temporary ~5 year arrangement. Northcrest is just doing this until they get all their ducks in a row and it's more viable to start construction on the Downsview Lands.

Surprise! Lol

I see that this is on the runway and that there are extensive grounds around it. Just in time for the World Cup festivities. I wonder if the company that does temporary stadiums based in Dubai is involved?

That's quite the collaboration between two scum organizations (Rogers and Live Nation).

I dont know why the Premier and Live Nation are making such a big deal out of this temporary ~5 year arrangement. Northcrest is just doing this until they get all their ducks in a row and it's more viable to start construction on the Downsview Lands.

The premier - because there is an election coming up and the target pop of this facility is probably his "bread and better".

AoD

Interesting. This doesn’t initially seem to make a ton of sense on the surface, given that Rogers Centre has a very similar concert capacity, and that Livenation has plans to upgrade Budweiser Stage into a larger venue.

However, here’s some food for thought - in wake of the Rogers purchase of Bell’s MLSE shares, and with Rogers on track to own the entirety of MLSE in 2026, the media has been suggesting that Edward Rogers is very interested in owning an NFL team (something Rogers has been working toward over the past decade) and suggested that this could be the next step after a likely spinoff and IPO of MLSE.

Obviously, the construction of an NFL-sized stadium is a huge investment to make up-front. You would want to get a good idea of whether or not you can make use of that stadium outside of the 8 or 9 NFL home games each season, and there’s obviously a bit of uncertainty given the presence of so many other venues in Toronto. Building a temporary 50,000-seat concert venue and seeing how many events you can fill it with for 5 years seems like an excellent way to test the waters for a slightly larger permanent stadium down the road. Downsview would also be the ideal location for such a thing. Rogers’ involvement in this makes me suspicious. Northcrest also includes “culture and entertainment” as part of the vision for the YZD development which makes me more suspicious.

We will obviously have to see how this plays out, but there is definitely something bigger going on here.

Interesting. This doesn’t initially seem to make a ton of sense on the surface, given that Rogers Centre has a very similar concert capacity, and that Livenation has plans to upgrade Budweiser Stage into a larger venue.

However, here’s some food for thought - in wake of the Rogers purchase of Bell’s MLSE shares, and with Rogers on track to own the entirety of MLSE in 2026, the media has been suggesting that Edward Rogers is very interested in owning an NFL team (something Rogers has been working toward over the past decade) and suggested that this could be the next step after a likely spinoff and IPO of MLSE.

Obviously, the construction of an NFL-sized stadium is a huge investment to make up-front. You would want to get a good idea of whether or not you can make use of that stadium outside of the 8 or 9 NFL home games each season, and there’s obviously a bit of uncertainty given the presence of so many other venues in Toronto. Building a temporary 50,000-seat concert venue and seeing how many events you can fill it with for 5 years seems like an excellent way to test the waters for a slightly larger permanent stadium down the road. Downsview would also be the ideal location for such a thing. Rogers’ involvement in this makes me suspicious. Northcrest also includes “culture and entertainment” as part of the vision for the YZD development which makes me more suspicious.

We will obviously have to see how this plays out, but there is definitely something bigger going on here.

The one thing going against Rogers Centre for concerts are the terrible acoustics.

Also, an outdoor (temporary) stadium probably makes it more attractive to music festivals, such as current festivals like VELD, and likely future festivals, too.

Interesting. This doesn’t initially seem to make a ton of sense on the surface, given that Rogers Centre has a very similar concert capacity, and that Livenation has plans to upgrade Budweiser Stage into a larger venue...
If they are going to rebuild Budweiser Stage as they've stated, this gives them a temporary replacement venue while that happens.
I'm not sure I see any of this having anything to do with the NFL. Rogers seemed to have largely given up on any association with the NFL back when they ceased that Bills In Toronto Series. Bell (TSN, CTV) has had exclusive TV rights for the NFL in Canada in recent years.

Back