Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

If Rogers is aspiring to something like the new Allegiant or Sofi stadia, that would be moving forwards; building a reduced budget, retro-style open-air stadium or one with awkward-looking sliding roof sections shown in this thread would be a backwards move IMO - in that case, it should be built elsewhere, not at the foot of the CN Tower.

Any new stadium will likely be built elsewhere. I think the current spot is too small to support a sliding roof stadium, for example.

I acknowledge that the Rogers Centre was (is) architecturally impressive. But is it a good baseball stadium? I think at best most would say it's adequate. It serves its purpose, but as a baseball stadium (its primary purpose), it leaves a lot to be desired.

You might feel a retro-style open air stadium is a "step backwards", but that's only if you're viewing things in terms of architecture, and not in terms of what fans actually want. And what do they typically want? Smaller, intimate stadiums, with real grass, and a feeling of going to a ballpark. All of the things the Rogers Centre lacks. There is a reason stadiums like the Rogers Centre stopped being built after Camden Yards opened.

PNC Park, Oracle Park, and Coors Field might not be the technical marvel the Rogers Centre is, but they are vastly superior baseball stadiums, and are usually rated high in terms of fan experience.

pnc_park_view-56a731905f9b58b7d0e7cb39.jpg

RGB-Ventures-LLC-dba-SuperStock-Alamy_1.jpg

Coors-Field-Flickr-Max-and-Dee-Bernt-2.jpg

The Rogers Centre is more modern, but paradoxically, that makes it feel more outdated.

The newer batch of stadiums with roofs aren't great, I'll admit. But they still feel more right for baseball than the Rogers Centre does. And that's only if we actually still want a domed stadium.

This render might be rough, but tell me a stadium with unobstructed views of the city's skyline, and boats and people in kayaks hoping to catch a home run ball hit into the water, wouldn't be awesome.

crxu2zW.jpg

Any new stadium will likely be built elsewhere. I think the current spot is too small to support a sliding roof stadium, for example.

I acknowledge that the Rogers Centre was (is) architecturally impressive. But is it a good baseball stadium? I think at best most would say it's adequate. It serves its purpose, but as a baseball stadium (its primary purpose), it leaves a lot to be desired.

You might feel a retro-style open air stadium is a "step backwards", but that's only if you're viewing things in terms of architecture, and not in terms of what fans actually want. And what do they typically want? Smaller, intimate stadiums, with real grass, and a feeling of going to a ballpark. All of the things the Rogers Centre lacks. There is a reason stadiums like the Rogers Centre stopped being built after Camden Yards opened.

PNC Park, Oracle Park, and Coors Field might not be the technical marvel the Rogers Centre is, but they are vastly superior baseball stadiums, and are usually rated high in terms of fan experience.

pnc_park_view-56a731905f9b58b7d0e7cb39.jpg

RGB-Ventures-LLC-dba-SuperStock-Alamy_1.jpg

Coors-Field-Flickr-Max-and-Dee-Bernt-2.jpg

The Rogers Centre is more modern, but paradoxically, that makes it feel more outdated.

The newer batch of stadiums with roofs aren't great, I'll admit. But they still feel more right for baseball than the Rogers Centre does. And that's only if we actually still want a domed stadium.

This render might be rough, but tell me a stadium with unobstructed views of the city's skyline, and boats and people in kayaks hoping to catch a home run ball hit into the water, wouldn't be awesome.

crxu2zW.jpg
I support this because it means a fixed link to the islands and the potential for a redevelopment of some of the Toronto Islands into a Grant Park style grand park.

I support this because it means a fixed link to the islands and the potential for a redevelopment of some of the Toronto Islands into a Grant Park style grand park.
I do like the sound of this idea but one thing I would love to have at the blue jays field is moving the Canadian based hall of fame into the jays field and I’m not sure if this would be possible on the island for it to accessible as much as possible

I do like the sound of this idea but one thing I would love to have at the blue jays field is moving the Canadian based hall of fame into the jays field and I’m not sure if this would be possible on the island for it to accessible as much as possible
If we have a streetcar line go onto the islands, it'd make it accessible enough.

I'm new about this stadium topic. But I heard that they want to tear down this building to build a new one or move it somewhere by the lake.

If we have a streetcar line go onto the islands, it'd make it accessible enough.
You would also need a pedestrian link for people to still walk across
...im going to say they use the same space of the SkyDome to build a new stadium, Rogers will also find a way to squeeze a couple towers into the development
meanwhile the Jays will have to plan and play at a temporary facility while under construction

How much power does the housing group on the Islands have re: preventing development and preserving the Islands as is?

isn't the rogers centre a prominent landmark? how could they just tear down something that's so recognized as being from Toronto

Any ballpark in Toronto is going to need a roof. I don't especially like it but that's the weather we have.
I'm not thoroughly convinced that Toronto needs a domed park if we're talking about a baseball specific facility. The only months that the weather would be dodgy would be April and Oct- and only the latter if the team gets into the post-season. The weather here is no worse than any other large Great Lakes city and perhaps might even be better than some- as is the case with Buffalo. Detroit, Chicago (with two open air parks) and Cleveland all get by fine without a roof. Minneapolis which has the coldest weather of all big league cities also has an open air facility. There is also some discussion in the league for a shortening of the season, which might push the start of the season a bit later- albeit just a matter of a week or two. Is it really necessary to have the added expense of a dome for only a few iffy weeks in April and the odd time in October..?

I'm not thoroughly convinced that Toronto needs a domed park if we're talking about a baseball specific facility. The only months that the weather would be dodgy would be April and Oct- and only the latter if the team gets into the post-season. The weather here is no worse than any other large Great Lakes city and perhaps might even be better than some- as is the case with Buffalo. Detroit, Chicago (with two open air parks) and Cleveland all get by fine without a roof. Minneapolis which has the coldest weather of all big league cities also has an open air facility. There is also some discussion in the league for a shortening of the season, which might push the start of the season a bit later- albeit just a matter of a week or two. Is it really necessary to have the added expense of a dome for only a few iffy weeks in April and the odd time in October..?

Domed stadiums are ideal given the fact that weather is s 24/7 366 Day a year problem. Who wants to postpone a game because it rained?

I recall a day where the temperature hit 40 with the Humidex and I had Blue Jays tickets. The dome was closed and the AC was on making it that much more bearable compared to being in the direct sun all day.

Back