Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

-Home plate should face the lake, not Bloor st.
-100 level seats are moveable, rotate them 180 degrees.
-Turn the hotel into press boxes and skyboxes.
-Remove 500 and 200 level stands from south wall. Convert wall openings into sliding glass panels.
-Install real grass

get ready for opening day 2022

Sounds so easy doesn't it?

Yeah, real grass is never going to happen in the Rogers Centre. It's not that it isn't possible, it's that it is so complicated and expensive as to not be worth it.

In a perfect world, my ideal location for a new stadium

QP1fkwi.jpg

I tried to match the field as closely as I could, but I think the field should probably be lower. I also left the walls in as they hid the portion of the airport that would have been visible had they been taken out.

Yeah, real grass is never going to happen in the Rogers Centre. It's not that it isn't possible, it's that it is so complicated and expensive as to not be worth it.

QP1fkwi.jpg

I tried to match the field as closely as I could, but I think the field should probably be lower. I also left the walls in as they hid the portion of the airport that would have been visible had they been taken out.
Same designer as PNC is taking this on, but I do like the Comerica comparison

QP1fkwi.jpg

It would be a fantastic site for a stadium and quite a view. I guess you would have to create a tunnel for vehicles for this to be practical (sheer volume of deliveries, etc. needed for a stadium). And a good way for getting tens of thousands of people there and back safely (and not too much of a terrorist target).

-Home plate should face the lake, not Bloor st.
-100 level seats are moveable, rotate them 180 degrees.
-Turn the hotel into press boxes and skyboxes.
-Remove 500 and 200 level stands from south wall. Convert wall openings into sliding glass panels.
-Install real grass

get ready for opening day 2022
View attachment 304723

Even if you don't rotate the field, I like this plan (if of course we could use glass and keep the stands).

As I once said many times prior, it would be great if it had a roof like Miller Park American Family Field.

And as I've said once or twice before, that stadium is hideous.

I agree, though, a new stadium will likely need a roof, but I would hope that is a stadium we don't take inspiration from.

And as I've said once or twice before, that stadium is hideous.

I agree, though, a new stadium will likely need a roof, but I would hope that is a stadium we don't take inspiration from.
Like American Family Field, but it would be more original and less hideous (due to advances in technology since the planning of that stadium).

The new Blue Jays stadium should combine the aesthetics of a classic jewelbox ballpark with a transparent retractable roof that covers both the field and the seats.

This new stadium should seat 30,000 to 40,000 fans.

Like American Family Field, but it would be more original and less hideous (due to advances in technology since the planning of that stadium).

The new Blue Jays stadium should combine the aesthetics of a classic jewelbox ballpark with a transparent retractable roof that covers both the field and the seats.

This new stadium should seat 30,000 to 40,000 fans.

Personally, in terms of domed MLB stadiums, I much prefer Minute Maid and Safeco. Because when their roofs are closed, they still let a fair amount of light in.

safeco119501_original.jpg

72d79759e8c19e13c0452046f3c1612b.jpg

American Family Field, meanwhile, still kind of looks like the Dome when closed.

miller1772.jpg

However, I think Hokkaido's future ballpark is what we should be striving for if we're talking about a new domed stadium

HamFightersSTADIUM-2-1280.jpg

EW9tSLFXYAI0TPI.jpg

Personally, in terms of domed MLB stadiums, I much prefer Minute Maid and Safeco. Because when their roofs are closed, they still let a fair amount of light in.

safeco119501_original.jpg

72d79759e8c19e13c0452046f3c1612b.jpg

American Family Field, meanwhile, still kind of looks like the Dome when closed.

miller1772.jpg

However, I think Hokkaido's future ballpark is what we should be striving for if we're talking about a new domed stadium

HamFightersSTADIUM-2-1280.jpg

EW9tSLFXYAI0TPI.jpg
Yes! Hokkaido's future stadium is the model that we should be looking at, given that Sapporo's climate is similar to that of Toronto.

The retractable roof should be translucent or transparent to allow more light to enter to allow grass to grow during the winter.

I really like the batter's eye of that stadium.

...The retractable roof should be translucent or transparent to allow more light to enter to allow grass to grow during the winter...
I'm not sure that could be compatible with baseball, even with modern materials. The Astrodome had to have the windows in much of its roof painted over.
https://www.paulryanwindows.com/blog/little-known-history-astrodome-roof/
The stadium originally had a grass field that was supposed to be kept alive by the windows, but they painted over them when the roof’s glare made catching fly balls impossible. The lack of sunlight after the paint job killed the grass, leading to the installation of AstroTurf
And, "during the winter"? They don't play during the winter. As far as I know, any discussion of the notion of grass in Rogers Centre never involved trying to keep it alive through the winter, only putting it in every spring then removing it after the season ended.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that could be compatible with baseball, even with modern materials. The Astrodome had to have the windows in much of its roof painted over.
https://www.paulryanwindows.com/blog/little-known-history-astrodome-roof/

And, "during the winter"? They don't play during the winter. As far as I know, any discussion of the notion of grass in Rogers Centre never involved trying to keep it alive through the winter, only putting it in every spring then removing it after the season ended.

Any new stadium would need to have grass. I don't think that's up for debate. It might be tricky keeping grass alive in the winter, but I'm sure Rogers would plan for that.

As for the glass roof, I posted this a few pages back, but Portland is hoping to get an MLB franchise, and this is their proposal for a domed stadium. Of course, this is just a proposal, but maybe they've figured things regarding how a glass roof could work?
Portland-Ballpark-Rendering-4-11-2.jpg

Yes! Hokkaido's future stadium is the model that we should be looking at, given that Sapporo's climate is similar to that of Toronto.

The retractable roof should be translucent or transparent to allow more light to enter to allow grass to grow during the winter.

I really like the batter's eye of that stadium.
Make the stadium colour Blue Jays blue witn some black and red accents here and there it would be perfect and put a large Blue Jays logo on the roof

Back