Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

I'm repeating myself but a retractable roof is a blessed guarantee to families and fans that their outing won't be cancelled by weather. This is a priceless, quality of life issue for busy residents.

1. Translucent roof with new grass technologies- check. Want that.

2. Reconfigure seating wisely-check.

3. Animate the south with some kind of brilliant new build (no dry cleaners)-check.

4. Price tag: a hell of a lot less than a new building. -check

5. Location: scores of local service businesses around the dome remain solvent/happy. -check.

Been a baseball fan forever but I would gladly welcome a make-over vs. wet dreams of a billion dollar stadium located somewhere, who knows where. It's ultimately about the ticket-holder (and the critical mass of businesses seeded by the Dome traffic). Location, location etc.

I'm repeating myself but a retractable roof is a blessed guarantee to families and fans that their outing won't be cancelled by weather. This is a priceless, quality of life issue for busy residents.

3. Animate the south with some kind of brilliant new build (no dry cleaners)-check.

5. Location: scores of local service businesses around the dome remain solvent/happy. -check.

Been a baseball fan forever but I would gladly welcome a make-over vs. wet dreams of a billion dollar stadium located somewhere, who knows where. It's ultimately about the ticket-holder (and the critical mass of businesses seeded by the Dome traffic). Location, location etc.

I would love to see them open the stadium up with some massive glass doors along the lines of the Apple spaceship campus.

AoD

I would love to see them open the stadium up with some massive glass doors along the lines of the Apple spaceship campus.

AoD

LOL... am not a structural engineer but sounds good!

But I agree any strategies that open the "I'm not dead yet" Dome up makes sense. Hell of alot of concrete east/west. One easy fix is the south (mostly opaque) glass cladding.

Maybe the animation needed along Bremner (and an enticing new south entry to the stadium) could be a tallish clear glass mega galleria that doesn't look like a carbuncle add on.

Hmmm mind wanders to Hudson's Bay on Bloor... ;-)

LOL... am not a structural engineer but sounds good!

But I agree any strategies that open the "I'm not dead yet" Dome up makes sense. Hell of alot of concrete east/west. One easy fix is the south (mostly opaque) glass cladding.

Maybe the animation needed along Bremner (and an enticing new south entry to the stadium) could be a tallish clear glass mega galleria that doesn't look like a carbuncle add on.

Hmmm mind wanders to Hudson's Bay on Bloor... ;-)

I'd say rip out anything exterior that is not required structurally and then start the redesign from that point on. Also I would imagine the dome would be a lot lighter if they move to an ETFE pillow based system as well.

AoD

Wouldn't be surprised if something similar to US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis is proposed for the roof. I know we've discussed it in the past but ETFE is the way to go.

Architecture firm HKS, Inc., also responsible for the Dallas Cowboys' AT&T Stadium and the Indianapolis Colts' Lucas Oil Stadium, decided to go for a lightweight translucent roof and glazed entrances with giant pivoting doors, aiming to get as much natural light from the outside as possible. The roof is made up of 60% Ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE), a fluorine-based clear plastic, and is the largest in North America, spanning 240,000 square feet (22,000 m2) supplied and installed by the firm Vector Foiltec. ETFE's low R-factor and the roof's slanted design, inspired by Nordic vernacular architecture, allows the stadium to endure heavy snow loads. Snow accumulates in areas that are more safely and easily accessible, and also moves down the slanted roof into a heated gutter, the water from which drains to the nearby Mississippi River.

The translucent roof and large wall panels also give fans a view of downtown Minneapolis.[17] The glass operable wall panels will allow the stadium to experience some of the outdoor elements while providing protection from the snow, rain, and the cold winter weather.[18] The stadium is aligned northwest and the elevation at street level is approximately 840 feet (255 m) above sea level.

Other ballparks have glass walls or panels with retractable capabilities, Minute Maid in Houston, Marlins Park in Miami and Miller Park in Milwaukee being 3 known examples.

There are a lot of possibilities here and that excites me as a baseball fan.

I'd say rip out anything exterior that is not required structurally and then start the redesign from that point on. Also I would imagine the dome would be a lot lighter if they move to an ETFE pillow based system as well.

AoD

Totally agree.. as long as the roof doesn't fall down.

I assume you've forwarded your (articulated) plans and budget projections to Rogers.

Brookfield is a long-term player. If the plans go as far as replacing the roof, perhaps a newer design that takes up less 'open-position' space could open up the possibility of redeveloping corners of the existing structure for condo/office/etc. Looking at this construction photo though, even without exterior walls, you're going to be letting a minimal amount of additional light through the walls. Imagine that fixed section of roof was transparent though.
single_column_figure4@2x-17.jpg

Brookfield is a long-term player. If the plans go as far as replacing the roof, perhaps a newer design that takes up less 'open-position' space could open up the possibility of redeveloping corners of the existing structure for condo/office/etc. Looking at this construction photo though, even without exterior walls, you're going to be letting a minimal amount of additional light through the walls. Imagine that fixed section of roof was transparent though.

Not a structural engineer, but I imagine they can open up this structure by removing the decks, floors and even columns via some massive trusses and beefing up existing columns.

AoD

Not a structural engineer, but I imagine they can open up this structure by removing the decks, floors and even columns via some massive trusses and beefing up existing columns.

AoD

Agreed. Even so, the smaller columns in the foreground look more like supports for the existing 100 - 500 level seating structure as opposed to holding up the fixed portion of the roof. Not an engineer either but I believe the larger, wider columns behind the roof structure are what help keep it in place as well as the large pillars on the NE and NW sides of the stadium.

Just saw my first baseball game of the season in the SkyDome and I'm actually impressed with how well it's held up. Rogers has done a great job with the landscaping around the SkyDome itself - all new interlocking stone everywhere, new railings with integrated LED lighting, even the drain grates are in the shape of the Blue Jays logo. Looks like a ton of new planters too, with blue cladding. Overall the area around the SkyDome itself looks brand new and modern.

As for inside, the concourses to me look and feel like virtually any other stadium I've been to, and the sightlines were just fine. Considering how great of a location it's in too, I would hate to see it torn down. Personally I think it just needs some refreshing. I really don't feel like there is any urgent rush to get this done though.

Considering how freezing it is in April usually (I remember a big snow storm last year mid-April), people calling for a retro-style ball park are really just foolish IMO.

I'm eager to see what they have in mind. It sounds like they're discussing a land swap of some sort. If Brookfield and Rogers finance a segment of Rail Deck Park, the city could give up the hydro lot just south of the SkyDome, a part of which is owned by the city and allow them to build tall in what has otherwise had a prohibition on anything much taller than the Gardiner. They've wanted to preserve the view of the SkyDome from the lake. I'd hate to lose that skyline view but I'd rather have Rail Deck Park.

A couple of towers on either side and a podium with retail and restaurants on the south end and a Blue Jays Square in a park over the rail corridor on the north end would be a fantastic addition and would transform the area. I'd also get rid of the box offices on Bremner and line it from one end to the other with restaurants open to the street.

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 7.11.38 PM.png

As for the SkyDome itself (yes, I'm going to continue calling it that forever and I hope Rogers has the good sense to revert to it too), there's still a lot of life and potential left in the stadium.

The single biggest transformational project could come from replacing the entire upper deck with a promenade with patios, beer gardens and concession stands with views towards the lake and Centre Island. This would be a very popular spot, without constricting people to seats and to watching a game. They could have the upper deck sold cheap for general admission and end up generating more revenue with higher food and beverage spending than if they had kept the seats.

Texas Rangers' new stadium:
Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 4.51.57 PM.png

Not hard to imagine the upper bowl replaced with an open air promenade.

6intsggh2xo01.jpg

Alternatively, stands could be kept on the home plate side with the sides and outfield replaced with that promenade. The SkyDome seats almost 50K spectators. They can afford to slim that down to 40K and still remain a sizeable MLB stadium.

The Crystal Cathedral of Baseball?

Skydome's dome is iconic and extremely practical, but the rest of the stadium has the charm of a parking garage. The Bremner Boulevard facade is so anti-climactic with its uninspired and clinical mix of concrete and glass. It's the Toronto landmark that I always want to love and rally behind. But when you see it up close, you realize just how sterile it is aside from a few cool features like the built-in hotel and the monumental work of public art facing John Street. It would be a dour building without the cheerful banners on the exterior and the bright blue seats.

Skydome's dome is iconic and extremely practical, but the rest of the stadium has the charm of a parking garage. The Bremner Boulevard facade is so anti-climactic with its uninspired and clinical mix of concrete and glass. It's the Toronto landmark that I always want to love and rally behind. But when you see it up close, you realize just how sterile it is aside from a few cool features like the built-in hotel and the monumental work of public art facing John Street. It would be a dour building without the cheerful banners on the exterior and the bright blue seats.

It is brutalism at its finest. The stadium was designed to be practical not to host the Vienna Philharmonic or to recreate naval battles.

Back