Toronto Rogers Centre Renovations | ?m | ?s | Toronto Blue Jays | Populous

Just saw my first baseball game of the season in the SkyDome and I'm actually impressed with how well it's held up. Rogers has done a great job with the landscaping around the SkyDome itself - all new interlocking stone everywhere, new railings with integrated LED lighting, even the drain grates are in the shape of the Blue Jays logo. Looks like a ton of new planters too, with blue cladding. .

Not laying this on Rogers, necessarily................but...did you notice how all that nice new interlocking paving, on the Bremner side, doesn't go all the way to the curb? How it stops at what I presume to be the property line, meeting a completely mismatched City sidewalk (they used different paving designs/colours); and the City's portion here is in poor condition too.

The juxtaposition of those two is something I saw on a walk on Sunday evening and it struck me immediately.

I couldn't help but think that someone, or some people either didn't try to; or declined to coordinate on what should have been a single project to re-do all the paving work on the Bremner side of the stadium, and in the adjacent space further east (base of CN Tower, Bobbie Rosenfeld Park (Salmon Run Fountain). Sigh.

If Rogers didn't pick up the phone and ask, that's awful; and if the City didn't say yes, if they did, that's almost worse.

The single biggest transformational project could come from replacing the entire upper deck with a promenade with patios, beer gardens and concession stands with views towards the lake and Centre Island. This would be a very popular spot, without constricting people to seats and to watching a game. They could have the upper deck sold cheap for general admission and end up generating more revenue with higher food and beverage spending than if they had kept the seats.

Texas Rangers' new stadium:
View attachment 198613

Not hard to imagine the upper bowl replaced with an open air promenade.

They stopped doing $2 Tuesdays because people were just coming to get drunk. It sounds good on paper but there was always fights or they were kicking people out for being topless. Those were the doc years when I owned season tickets.

Not laying this on Rogers, necessarily................but...did you notice how all that nice new interlocking paving, on the Bremner side, doesn't go all the way to the curb? How it stops at what I presume to be the property line, meeting a completely mismatched City sidewalk (they used different paving designs/colours); and the City's portion here is in poor condition too.

The juxtaposition of those two is something I saw on a walk on Sunday evening and it struck me immediately.

I couldn't help but think that someone, or some people either didn't try to; or declined to coordinate on what should have been a single project to re-do all the paving work on the Bremner side of the stadium, and in the adjacent space further east (base of CN Tower, Bobbie Rosenfeld Park (Salmon Run Fountain). Sigh.

If Rogers didn't pick up the phone and ask, that's awful; and if the City didn't say yes, if they did, that's almost worse.
Apparently it's a standard issue that the City doesn't like changing the sidewalk material. It was noted in a coverpage article recently about the Montgomery condo at Yonge & Eg. I think that article mentioned it took a lot of work to bring the City around to letting the developer extend their granite paving all the way to the curb.

Apparently it's a standard issue that the City doesn't like changing the sidewalk material. It was noted in a coverpage article recently about the Montgomery condo at Yonge & Eg. I think that article mentioned it took a lot of work to bring the City around to letting the developer extend their granite paving all the way to the curb.

That can make sense when you have a smaller project, interrupting a cohesive streetscape plan.

But it makes no sense when you have a building that dominates the landscape for a couple of hundred metres; especially when the City's sidewalk is in crap condition.

That can make sense when you have a smaller project, interrupting a cohesive streetscape plan.

But it makes no sense when you have a building that dominates the landscape for a couple of hundred metres; especially when the City's sidewalk is in crap condition.

Likely one of those legal things. Who owns what and where. Find a map of the property and let the lawyers handle it.

This photo was posted at Bluebird Banter

Rogers_Centre_on_November_16_2019.0.jpg

Are those new seats?

I believe they are but does anyone know why they are going with different colour seats?

If they think that offering "premium" seating will get the fans to come back they have another thing coming. I wont pay more for a premium seat if the on-field product is sub-standard. Also...the lower 100 level is a great view but with all the fly balls, etc it is not worth paying a premium. I prefer not to pay more money to dodge balls all day.

I believe they are but does anyone know why they are going with different colour seats?

If they think that offering "premium" seating will get the fans to come back they have another thing coming. I wont pay more for a premium seat if the on-field product is sub-standard. Also...the lower 100 level is a great view but with all the fly balls, etc it is not worth paying a premium. I prefer not to pay more money to dodge balls all day.

No new seats in the 100 level. Those are the originals that were installed back in 1989. The only seats that have been replaced since then are the grey TD Clubhouse seats and the remainder on the entire 200 level which happened before 2015. I'd imagine the 100 level seating will be completely re-done with the larger scale renovations, including re-orienting the seating bowl. Fans deserve a better viewing experience from the vantage points closest to the field.

The different coloured seats could be used to mark all-you-can-eat seats.

Back