News   Apr 18, 2024
 679     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Toronto Ridiculous NIMBYism thread

This definitely belongs in here

http://www.citynews.ca/2015/06/24/t...lar-dream-home-spoiled-by-toronto-hydro-pole/

pole1.gif

pole2.gif

pole3.gif

Wow oh wow. This couple is sitting right across from me on the streetcar :eek:

Uh, are you trolling? SmartTrack was not a provincially funded plan. The Scarborough LRT was, and I remember Tory campaigning against that!
Those weren't SmartTrack lines Chow was campaigning against.

Those were already funded GO-RER corridors and projects. The Stoufville line double-tracking was already fully funded and underway, alongside with the Union Station revitalizations. The latter being designed to handle future capacities of GO-RER. Inciting NIMBYs and resistance against these projects is just so mind-numbingly stupid, and a big part of the reason why Toronto transit has stalled in the previous administration.

With these antics, she proved that either she was against commuter rail, or she has a complete failure of understanding of GTA transit. Both outcomes meant there was no way I could trust her with the transit profile. This was in fact the turning point for me when I started to believe 'there is no way I am voting for Chow'.

Those weren't SmartTrack lines Chow was campaigning against.

Those were already funded GO-RER corridors and projects. The Stoufville line double-tracking was already fully funded and underway, alongside with the Union Station revitalizations. The latter being designed to handle future capacities of GO-RER. Inciting NIMBYs and resistance against these projects is just so mind-numbingly stupid, and a big part of the reason why Toronto transit has stalled in the previous administration.

With these antics, she proved that either she was against commuter rail, or she has a complete failure of understanding of GTA transit. Both outcomes meant there was no way I could trust her with the transit profile. This was in fact the turning point for me when I started to believe 'there is no way I am voting for Chow'.

Uh, you linked to her materials and tweets campaigning against SmartTrack.

Thread derailed. Nicely done.

*** Future NIMBY Story*** Wait until someone on Edna Ave starts complaining that the sounds of subway trains being stored in the yard between Keele and Dundas West and the sight of them ruins their view or the noise of compressors running keeps them up all night. That's sure to be a Star story as soon as the TTC starts parking trains there for the night.

The same happened in 1966 when the residents complained loudly about the clattering of the subway trains over the crossover at Keele Station and the parked trains.

I think we need to be a bit choosy about what constitute ridiculous NIMBYism - ridiculous being the operative word here. Noise can be a legitimate nuisance - but this thread as I envisioned it was more about totally over the top claims (patrons chatting = worst neighbours, pole ruins my view and it becomes the end of the world).

AoD

*** Future NIMBY Story*** Wait until someone on Edna Ave starts complaining that the sounds of subway trains being stored in the yard between Keele and Dundas West and the sight of them ruins their view or the noise of compressors running keeps them up all night. That's sure to be a Star story as soon as the TTC starts parking trains there for the night.

The same happened in 1966 when the residents complained loudly about the clattering of the subway trains over the crossover at Keele Station and the parked trains.

I'm sure the new Leslie TTC yard's going to get a Star/Sun shellacking with the first bird death/car needing to slow on Lake Shore due to a streetcar.

The HOV thing is like mobile NIMBYs all over the city. Carpool, kids. It's really not that hard...

And, now that they've moved in and it's not just in the contract but up their nose, how long before the first Pier 27 resident's complaint about that crazy sugar factory next door that they never knew existed? It'll be like the abattoir next to Liberty Village. Constant source of stories for the papers.

Apparently living opposite that brewery is like living across from a stadium.

Another Ivy resident, Giovanni Pittalis and his partner started the petition, having lived directly in front of the space the brewery owns now for 20 years. “It’s like living opposite a stadium,” he says, wringing his paint-splattered hands.
Pittalis is an artist and spends considerable time at home working. “We haven’t been able to sit in our backyard. Even with our door closed, the walls vibrate in noise; it’s a circus.”

You aren't the only one - I'll be bringing my dog too

Our daughters used to do gymnastics at Premier. Lots of kids screaming and yelling as they were going in and out, and if the doors were open. We also had a friend on Ivy on that side (photographer) who worked out of her house a lot. They never seemed to have issues. I'll make a point of going by for a brew and loud conversation next time I'm in town, too.

Oh one that comes to mind is the new TTC bus depot out in McNicoll.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...rough_will_boost_noise_fumes_and_traffic.html

First time I have heard of a bus depot called a "toxic industrial complex", as if buses runs on arsenic or something.

AoD

That proposed bus garage is on land already zoned industrial. Those neighbours are living in buildings on land that was also zoned for industrial, but were allowed to build residential buildings instead. Now they complain their neighbours are going to use zoned industrial land for industry?
Picard-Facepalm.jpg

I don't always cry from laughter, but when I do it's because of this thread.

In the parlance of certain segments of the youth population: I can't even.

PS: While this thread is right hilarious, it's also all rather sad. Growing up, we had a good number of mostly senior serial complainers in our complex and they sometimes made life difficult. In the end though, it was always a really sad and lonely person doing the whinging and as much as they harassed us kids, you could really only feel sorry for them.

Back