Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

Another interesting thought. I would think part of the cache and appeal of the condos is the fact that people will want to state that they live "at the Ritz Carleton". They too I would think would want the logo up, though not blocking their views as I expressed in previous posts. I would think they might be upset if there was no logo branding the building.

To the previous post about a lower grade Carleton Ritz , the Ritz Hojo. Actually, I would think that Marriott owning the Ritz Carleton chain would brand it Marriott if that was the case, rather than introducing yet another chain name and then the people who bought at the Ritz might have a gripe as most agreements are written that there will be a Ritz Carleton or comparable 5 star chain hotel operation. If the idea is that Marriott or Ritz HoJo is not comparable, I would wonder if they could seek damages for losses to reputation of the building and hence to potential value of their investment.

Branding with a logo actually may not make business sense if your brand identity is about classiness, exclusivity, and restrained elegance (and especially if the building itself is recognizable). I don't know if that's the thinking here.

Tulse, applying that logic would suggest that Ritz would not be branding anywhere which is clearly not the case. Nor would Trump (though one could argue the marking there is to be bold and in your face), 4 Seasons, nor Shangrila but they are all branding.

Tulse, applying that logic would suggest that Ritz would not be branding anywhere which is clearly not the case. Nor would Trump (though one could argue the marking there is to be bold and in your face), 4 Seasons, nor Shangrila but they are all branding.
The renders of the Four Seasons show a sign at the top of the building, but I don't believe I've seen anything similar in the renders of Trump or Shangri-La.

Actually, Shangrila has an "S" emblem at the top and also at street level at University.

I am not certain about 4S.

Trump I noticed on one picture had the Trump name at the top of the building behind ( to the East) of the onion facing Adelaide.

by the phrase "first new and softer version of ritz" mean first new and cheaper version of ritz, and to me this building will never be a true ritz, just a cheap imitation.

Last edited:
Anyone who considers this building to be a cheap imitation of a "true Ritz" has seen little or none of it. It is luxury all the way. We'll have a report from a recent tour soon.

sometimes logos can lessen a buildings aesthetic appeal,
if you ask me, the Bay Adelaide Centre looked better without the KPMG logo. it was clean, and flawless, and got punched a little with the logo.

on a good note, the logo on Scotia plaza worked, (partially because it was unobtrusive and small),

i think first canadian place might just look better without the logo (but that is only if the antennas are not present).

But since the Ritz logo is relatively small (i believe there were no words on the logo, just the tiger thing), it wouldn't have been that bad, the only bad thing i could think of is throwing the balance off in the building since it is uniform/identical on all sides and the northern face would have had the logo on the top left corner.

sometimes logos can lessen a buildings aesthetic appeal,
if you ask me, the Bay Adelaide Centre looked better without the KPMG logo. it was clean, and flawless, and got punched a little with the logo.

on a good note, the logo on Scotia plaza worked, (partially because it was unobtrusive and small),

i think first canadian place might just look better without the logo (but that is only if the antennas are not present).

But since the Ritz logo is relatively small (i believe there were no words on the logo, just the tiger thing), it wouldn't have been that bad, the only bad thing i could think of is throwing the balance off in the building since it is uniform/identical on all sides and the northern face would have had the logo on the top left corner.

The whole idea of putting a logo on a building is so you dont have to put your whole name.

Typically an establishment would want to tell the world they are here - especially with the TIFF crowd coming this summer.

I am unable to think of a reason - other than those I mentioned earlier (remember this is a Tier 2 Hotel - Out of 5 tiers)

I still say they are probably cosidering a brand change - Maybe Mariott - there can be no other answer.

It would be interesting to know what is in the contract for condo purchasers - if changing from Ritz to Marriott was somehow written in as a possibility.

Heck, if I had purchased an expensive unit at the Ritz and they changed it to a Marriott (or something else) I would sue for lost value.

I'm highly skeptical that they'd downgrade the hotel from a Ritz to a Marriott. I just don't see it happening. It's like the idea of converting the Sheppard subway to an LRT. It's just not worth the effort.

There is no downgrading coming. The speculation here at the moment is completely groundless: there is nothing wrong with the Ritz.

Who needs logos. Have them put up a picture of the Ritz Brothers

the_ritz_brothers.jpg

video i found on youtube by torontocondoteam.

Some photos from the inside of a condo unit... i like the kitchen.

[video=youtube;oqxeILXuBQk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqxeILXuBQk[/video]

Back