Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

A photo from Skybean over at SSC.

Great shot of the roof progress, but I look at this and think what a missed opportunity to go "Green".

That roof is South-facing and at the perfect angle to be covered with solar panels. It would even have still looked like glass. Plus they could have recouped some of their electricity costs and have bragging rights as the only solar hotel in Toronto. Or if that is too expensive, they could have done the same thing for heating the water for residential units. Solar water heating systems in a slanted roof like that are cheaper than the electricity producing panels for the same square footage.

img0032eq.jpg

(Courtesy Skybean at SSC http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=415684&page=57 )

man o man! That penthouse terrace is pure awesome! And especially since the entrances are so big and open! the ceilings are spectacularly high too! By far among the coolest penthouses in the city :D

and they nailed down the corners of this thing perfectly! Such a sharp lookin building!

Last edited:
Looking back at that shot from the CN tower, Its strange how true "skyliving" has only just arrived in the city (i'm referring to around the 200m mark, and the penthouse in particular)... Before this, i believe the tallest residence in the city was 1 King. The Ritz is so high up (at least for toronto's standards), its awesome! and it is truly dominant, as there are very few 100m+ towers in the entertainment district (or west end of the city). The only real tall towers built are Festival and RBC... That will soon change though with all the proposals coming up (and shangr-la). But even still, the Ritz has very open views compared to others like Trump.

But living really high up is very soon becoming reality with even taller towers than the Ritz going up like Trump, Aura, etc... :D

What's the wood-like paneling around the base of the supports? It looks like it's there to protect the grey paneling, but it looks too fine to be temporary.

Then again, this building feels sort of cheap- the lighting is the worst in this case. I personally would have preferred if the entrance was entirely done in a beige-ish non-striped marble, with a illuminated marble or glass ceiling. :D

edit: Refering to Urbandreamer's picture of the entrance.

What's the wood-like paneling around the base of the supports? It looks like it's there to protect the grey paneling, but it looks too fine to be temporary.

Then again, this building feels sort of cheap- the lighting is the worst in this case. I personally would have preferred if the entrance was entirely done in a beige-ish non-striped marble, with a illuminated marble or glass ceiling. :D

edit: Refering to Urbandreamer's picture of the entrance.

That is to protect the finish from being damaged while things are finished. A lot of stuff is going to be going in and out of the main doors while the building is completed.

Nice update!.. the ribbed cladding looks great, however, i do find that the transition from "zipper" to ribbed is a bit awkward... (its not finished yet so don't take my word for it)

That roof is South-facing and at the perfect angle to be covered with solar panels. It would even have still looked like glass. Plus they could have recouped some of their electricity costs and have bragging rights as the only solar hotel in Toronto.

That is a really neat idea - Citigroup building in NYC was originally supposed to get such a feature by design but it didn't materialize.

AoD

June 19 2010 update

Ritz Carlton as seen from the Island Ferry
IMG_4767.jpg

From Panorama:

PanoramaViewRitz.jpg

I still feel that the roof is a completely missed opportunity. There was no need to dedicate the remaining 4-6 floors for a mechanical penthouse. And the one large balcony for the upper-most penthouse seems rather contrived and odd if you will - one balcony for one occupant - its just odd.

p5

Back