Toronto Residences at The Ritz-Carlton, Toronto | 207.86m | 53s | Graywood | Kohn Pedersen Fox

I also find this building quite underwhelming... I'm surprised at some of the enthusiasm in here...

I also find this building quite underwhelming... I'm surprised at some of the enthusiasm in here...

Walking around outside I've heard a bunch of positive comments about this building from the average joes out there.. it's nice when the people that don't really follow architecture take notice and get to enjoy a new building.
I agree that the cladding could have been better but the shape is really nice.

I think the building itself is a missed opportunity. While the shape is sleek and interesting, they dropped the ball on the boring cladding that is nothing but repetitive all the way up. This could have been a stunner if done differently

I am confused by part of your statement. Most modern buildings (except PoMo) use the same cladding all the way up: TD Tower, FCP, CCW, TD Canada Trust tower etc... Perhaps you could expand on your idea and give us some examples of buildings that change cladding as they get taller. I am not disputing your opinion, but just need clarification.

The roof cladding is OFF THE CHARTS INSANE! I'm lovin it! Its so reflective and crystal clean (at least for now)... such a cool skyscraper :D

`
ritzroof.jpg

Click for full size:
You can see in the last photo framing been install for the other haft of the roof with glass in place on the other section.

the glass looks super hot on the top level! And now that the south facing side is fully clad! its just awesome! its such a huge balcony to have! almost too big if you ask me :D. lucky bastard.

Very nice pics, drum! Here's a Front St. POV, posted by Jasonzed at SSC.....

20100612108.jpg

Great detailed shots!

An observation:

The south view pic -

Its nice to see that the concrete columns line up with the window frames for an unobstructed view.

Its a shame to see this be overlooked in so many other projects. You'll see a nice large panel of glass only to see a column smack in the middle of it.

i agree! Cool shot! Notice how the lighting makes the floorplans on Ritz/RBC looks so unified! its sweet how their floors match up kinda well (except for ritz slants of course :)

Rate it three stars. Nothing much admirable on its own and I think it will age poorly. Helps with variety on the skyline. As an individual piece though, lacklustre.

Hmm, I rate it one star. I walked around it last night with a friend and we both agreed it's very conservative, Toronto Bay St culture at its worst. Should make a nice Marriot Hotel in about 20 years.:D

Imagine if this was all wood, instead of cheap paneling seen here: 12 June 2010

dsc09369f.jpg

Last edited:

Back