News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 805     0 

Toronto Reference Library Renovation (Moriyama + Teshima)

In fact public libraries in North America is seeing increased patronage due to the recession, etc - and there is also the realization of libraries as a "hub" in a community at different levels.

As to the addition - it wasn't inspiring - but then again the original library wasn't (and wasn't meant to be neither) - the final design is a compromise of the demand for contextuality. That said, I would have liked to see the corner "bricked in" like the rest o the podium and have a glass latern top it off, a la KPMB's Canadian Museum of Natural History.

AoD

I've never understood.. other cities have a "main" old library building that was _______ Public Library for years, and still is the main branch in some cities.. Where is/was Toronto's?
I mean ones like this, or this, or this, or even this??

Was it demolished or did we never have one?

The old main Library still stands.....

Its on College @ St George...(N/W corner)

Its now the U of T Bookstore.

The upper floor has the original ceiling, its quite nice.

Though not large by today's standards.

Toronto was a much smaller city when it was built.

Essentially, the present library is the College + St George replacement--except that it doesn't have a lending function...

Last edited:
Indeed, the building now known as the Koffler Student Centre was Toronto's main library. Like the other libraries mentioned by The_Architect, it features imposing Beaux-Arts architecture. For some reason, though, it's beautiful but modest. Though Toronto was a smaller city back them, keep in mind that these libraries were often funded by extremely wealthy benefactors. There are many possible reasons why no one stepped forward to do something more ambitious here.

May 5, 2011.

5691740218_01462a67a9_b.jpg

Essentially, the present library is the College + St George replacement--except that it doesn't have a lending function...
Actually, you can borrow some books from the Reference Library... as long as they aren't in English. Many of the other-language collections have lendable books; we used to borrow French and Esperanto books there. They also have a large Chinese collection, I believe.

Back