News   Jun 24, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 907     0 
News   Jun 24, 2024
 568     0 

Toronto Reference Library Renovation (Moriyama + Teshima)

10 June 2012

edit_preview.php

I am fairly certain building technology in the 70s would not allow you to get a building that look remotely similar to what the illustration suggests. You'd need ultra-clear glass for that. What you are likely to end up with is a mirrored glass box.

It needn't be a 70s phenomenon. Remember this?
libeskind-entrance.jpg

I wonder whether transparent library walls would be any more desirable than transparent museum walls where it comes to preserving a collection.

Mostly, though, I'm amazed at the way the rendering perspectives for this project completely hoodwinked me in to believing that we'd be looking at an airy four story square atrium, instead of this drab little sugarcube that squares off the most engaging part of the original design.

(I won't miss the colonnades, though. One of Toronto's least-helpful design fixations.)

SNF:

In the case of the ROM, they chose to (for budget, conservation and other reasons) to deviate from a more translucent/transparent material - it wasn't a technical impossibility so to say. As to preserving a collection - there are ways to get around that issue (like the positioning of the stacks/spaces, secondary walls, etc. It need not look like Robarts.

AoD

I wonder whether transparent library walls would be any more desirable than transparent museum walls where it comes to preserving a collection.

The short answer is no, libraries avoid this as much as possible as the sun *does* damage some materials, especially older paper stock and archival materials. And re: Robarts, it looks the way it does because it was never meant to be an open facility above the fourth floor, hence the continued presence of the vacuum tubes and dummy elevators that were used to process and transport materials requested from the ground floors up to the stacks. It was also meant to be a graduate student-only facility.

Last edited:
All it would have taken for this to work was to either eliminate the use of metal banding by employing structural glass, or make the new metal identical in colour to the old. It's surprising that something so relatively simple has been bungled so obviously.

Yeah the silver metal strips on the new windows are jarring and out of place.

The second floor windows of the original construction - looking like simplified baguette cut diamonds - now look marooned. Reference to those windows in the new additions could have tied the work together, but as completed it looks like we have one building slipped under and around another one entirely. It's pretty unfortunate.

I agree - it's the architectural equivalent to Zhang Huan's recent staging of Semele. There's no real dialogue between the addition and the original.

Back