Toronto RBC WaterPark Place III | 140.2m | 30s | Oxford Properties | WZMH

Cool - this caught my eye; "It will be connected to Toronto’s PATH walkway system through an elevated, enclosed pedestrian bridge linked directly to the Air Canada Centre and Union Station."

It will be connected to Toronto’s PATH walkway system through an elevated, enclosed pedestrian bridge linked directly to the Air Canada Centre and Union Station.

An elevated walkway to the ACC & Union?
I wonder how they plan on doing that one considering the Gardiner, the elevated eastbound exit ramp to Young and what almost certainly will be a massive project at 90 Harbour st, will be standing between it and those locations.

Looks like the parking lot just to the east of the York/Bay off ramp from the Gardiner. You can see Waterpark City in the render, and on the right side I believe that's the AON building.

Only 30 stories, though.

1014rbc.jpg

The "elevated pedestrian tunnel" will have to go over top of the Gardiner, I think, as I don't know that there's room below, and it crosses the entire block where the Harbour Commission sits.

An elevated walkway to the ACC & Union?
I wonder how they plan on doing that one considering the Gardiner, the elevated eastbound exit ramp to Young and what almost certainly will be a massive project at 90 Harbour st, will be standing between it and those locations.
Under the Gardiner, over Lakeshore, and further south over the elevated ramp to Yonge. Though if you look at Google Streetview, the elevated ramp to Yonge is only elevated about 1-metre at this location.

Now that the three Waterpark Place buildings will be connected to the PATH, what other buildings south of the Gardiner could be connected?

Can somebody explain to me why RBC seems to have so many more office buildings than the other major banks? Or is it just my imagination?

Also, why do banks need so much office space?

Can somebody explain to me why RBC seems to have so many more office buildings than the other major banks? Or is it just my imagination?

Also, why do banks need so much office space?

A couple reasons,

1) RBC is the largest bank in Canada, in terms of assets by far and large. But in terms of employees the top 3 are very close i.e. RBC, TD and Bank of Nova Scotia.

2) RBC has a lot of it's operations downtown in the financial core. Other banks, such as TD have a lot of space downtown but it's spread around the greater core with a lot of presence on Bloor street.

3) The RBC center is no longer the RBC center in the sense that RBC has just about no presence in the North tower and only about 20% or so of the south tower. The other large banks i.e. BMO, TD, Novia Scotia, own huge parts of their respective buildings i.e. BMO tower, Scotia place, and TD place. Also, bank of Nova Scotia has a tone of office space in their old building downtown. This is probably the largest reason. RBC is most spread out in the core and is trying to consolidate some.

1014rbc.jpg

Okay, I don't expect us to build the Bow or the Shard or some other beautiful building, but could we build office buildings that are more than just sterile corporate boxes with the most unflattering dimensions?

BMO, TD, Novia Scotia, own huge parts of their respective buildings i.e. BMO tower, Scotia place, and TD place.

I'm pretty sure the banks no longer have a stake in their towers downtown.

I'm pretty sure the banks no longer have a stake in their towers downtown.

You're correct but that's not what I meant.

Simply that they lease the majority of space in the respective buildings.

Back