Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

why does no one take the path along lake shore? Yes it cuts off a little short, but it still beats taking QQ.

It was ok over the winter/early spring. Now there are a lot of pedestrians and a lot of cyclists and it can be dicey. I use it heading east and take QQ going west -- I think a lot of people do that, except for the odd nutbar who decides to ride west on QQ, against one-way traffic. And then there's the idiots trying to ride their bikes on crowded sidewalks. It's such a treat along QQ these days :)

The Lake Shore path detour is signed well and better than nothing, but the pavement isn't in good shape, there are a lot of pedestrians, and you have to return to the sidewalk closer to the roadway to cross intersections. I find that Queens Quay is fine for cycling westbound in the one-way part for most of the day. Even at rush hour, you're just moving through the gaps between cars in the parking-lot of a traffic jam that often happens.

why does no one take the path along lake shore? Yes it cuts off a little short, but it still beats taking QQ.
The problem with the path on Lakeshore is that you need to divert to the lights at every intersection, and the lights take forever to change on Lakeshore so you can't go very fast. When going Westbound, I'd rather ride on Queens Quay to be honest.

Cellphone pics.

You can see the test bed for the streetcar ROW next to the portal.

Don't expect to see service until January, but more likely later than that.

I ended up on QQ west of Ress Yesterday that was never part of my photo shooting.

What I saw yesterday is saying Spadina Loop will not see service until early 2014 unless a major push takes place in September.

All the track work on Spadina and QQ has been removed and pave over except for the westbound lane.

I would say off hand, the westbound lane will shift south shortly to allow the removal of the existing tracks and be pave over. Once this has been done, it is possible that 2 way traffic will resurface west of Spadina until September.

Hydro has their material store west of Spadina and may start doing work in the westbound lanes first.

From the markings on the remaining QQ ROW, there is some major work to be done in that area now.

Between this and what taking place at TTC Union Station, 509 streetcars will not see service until March 2014 or later now.

TTC rails are store east of Bathurst St in the eastbound lane.

but... streetcar rail installation begins in ernest this week:

-----
Queens Quay Revitalization

SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION NOTICE
TTC Night Work - Streetcar Rail Installation at the Peter Slip Bridge

Work to repair and waterproof the surface of the Peter Slip Bridge has now been completed. Preparations will begin for the installation of new streetcar tracks on the Peter Slip Bridge starting on June 11. TTC crews will deliver and layout plates on the bridge deck. Crews will then drill the plates and anchor them to the bridge deck followed by the installation of the new rails and waterproofing.

Beginning on Tuesday, June 11 and continuing for approximately 5 days, TTC track crews will be installing the rail on the bridge. As a reminder, the TTC operates on a three-shift crew rotation, and are City noise by-law exempt.

This installation will involve some night work by the TTC. While efforts will be made to keep noise levels to a minimum, noise will be evident when some equipment is in full operation.

For detailed information about this work, please see TTC Construction News. If you have questions about this work, please contact Diego Sinagoga, Community Liaison Representative, 416-393-2197.
-----

Night work? Equipment noises? I see I wont be getting any sleep over the next five nights.

but... streetcar rail installation begins in ernest this week:

-----
Queens Quay Revitalization

SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION NOTICE
TTC Night Work - Streetcar Rail Installation at the Peter Slip Bridge

Work to repair and waterproof the surface of the Peter Slip Bridge has now been completed. Preparations will begin for the installation of new streetcar tracks on the Peter Slip Bridge starting on June 11. TTC crews will deliver and layout plates on the bridge deck. Crews will then drill the plates and anchor them to the bridge deck followed by the installation of the new rails and waterproofing.

Beginning on Tuesday, June 11 and continuing for approximately 5 days, TTC track crews will be installing the rail on the bridge. As a reminder, the TTC operates on a three-shift crew rotation, and are City noise by-law exempt.

This installation will involve some night work by the TTC. While efforts will be made to keep noise levels to a minimum, noise will be evident when some equipment is in full operation.

For detailed information about this work, please see TTC Construction News. If you have questions about this work, please contact Diego Sinagoga, Community Liaison Representative, 416-393-2197.
-----

Night work? Equipment noises? I see I wont be getting any sleep over the next five nights.

It is only on the bridge as there is nothing else ready for tracks.

.. and the tracks are going in the exact same spot. So I guess we are going to loss a good chunk of sidewalk on one side to make room for the turning lanes.

They're still putting the LRT in the centre of the boulevard, right? Lol, I hope that this turns out like the render.

More or less since the tracks will shift a few feet one way or another in various locations. They want to maintain an X width on the north sides of the streetcar ROW and it will be the south side changing width space along with the ROW.

You and everyone that has been involved with this project for years including myself are hopping for the best that this turns out as plan. We will know more in 2014 come July when traffic is officially move onto the north side of the ROW. 2015 will see the finally completion of the south side of the ROW. Only hope we get some real large mature trees to show what the future hold for this area when they get planted.

The granite they've been installing on the north side of the road just in front of the Starbucks at York st. is looking great. If the rest of the revitalization work is of this quality then I have full confidence that the area is going to look spectacular when they're finished in a couple years.

ttk:

I have no doubt that the work will be superlative given what we've seen - in fact they went the extra mile to negotiate with property owners along the route to install the same granite pavers beyond the public ROW - in contrast to what happened on Bloor.

AoD

ttk:

I have no doubt that the work will be superlative given what we've seen - in fact they went the extra mile to negotiate with property owners along the route to install the same granite pavers beyond the public ROW - in contrast to what happened on Bloor.

AoD
Yes, they offered to cover 50% of the cost, some buildings did not want to do it, some did agree, but not all the way.

Back