Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Any idea when they'll actually be breaking ground on the revitalization? It was supposed to start this spring right?

I share those questions. To the point: The "Queen's Quay Revitalization" idea was born in 2001 (from what I understand) and 11 years later, we still have an ugly and confusing street with dead trees and narrow sidewalks that can't handle the pedestrian and cyclist hoards. World Class City? Nay - World Class Mediocrity. Perhaps Waterfront Toronto should have yet another series of community consultations and environmental assessments and discuss these and other grand ideas that seem to never get off the ground in this city....leaving the tax paying citizens basking in the glorious mediocrity. Sorry for venting - but it is quite frustrating. Even if they would just close the southern side of Queen's Quay in the summer and give it over to the pedestrians and the cyclists from May until October - the harbourfront would be a better place....and basically, that would cost nothing.

WT was ready to go a couple of years ago. The city has been holding things up and even worse the TTC was getting restless and was going to fix their tracks in advance of the remake throwing away money. The last news was that it will happen this year and the TTC needs the track repaired so there is serious incentive not to delay. I believe the city needs to release their portion of the funding.

WT was ready to go a couple of years ago. The city has been holding things up and even worse the TTC was getting restless and was going to fix their tracks in advance of the remake throwing away money. The last news was that it will happen this year and the TTC needs the track repaired so there is serious incentive not to delay. I believe the city needs to release their portion of the funding.

Hmmmm . . . the Brothers Ford and their antipathy towards all things LRT?

I was under the impression that this had all been dealt with. The last news from WT was that they had hired a construction manager and that ground was to be broken this spring. I doubt they would hire the construction manager if funds had yet to be released.

I was under the impression that this had all been dealt with. The last news from WT was that they had hired a construction manager and that ground was to be broken this spring. I doubt they would hire the construction manager if funds had yet to be released.

From the February WT newsletter:

February 2012

Queens Quay Revitalization Update

Construction to revitalize Queens Quay in the Central Waterfront from Yo Yo Ma Lane - just west of Spadina Avenue - to Bay Street will commence this spring. The project will transform Queens Quay from an unattractive and dysfunctional street to a beautiful and efficient main street for the waterfront. The revitalized street will feature a generous, tree-lined promenade and a bike lane on the south side, a dedicated transit way in the centre and traffic lanes on the north side.

Waterfront Toronto is currently working to finalize the construction schedule. Once the details of the phasing of construction have been confirmed, a public meeting will be held to communicate the schedule and ensure everyone is well aware of how construction will unfold over the two-year project. Construction is expected to be complete in 2014.

A Construction Liaison Committee (CLC) made up of local resident associations, businesses and other groups has been established. The CLC will liaise with the project team, monitor and report on the impacts of construction during the project, and bring forward any issues that may arise.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/widgets_newsletter/read-newsletter/id/31

From the February WT newsletter:

February 2012

Queens Quay Revitalization Update

Construction to revitalize Queens Quay in the Central Waterfront from Yo Yo Ma Lane - just west of Spadina Avenue - to Bay Street will commence this spring. The project will transform Queens Quay from an unattractive and dysfunctional street to a beautiful and efficient main street for the waterfront. The revitalized street will feature a generous, tree-lined promenade and a bike lane on the south side, a dedicated transit way in the centre and traffic lanes on the north side.

Waterfront Toronto is currently working to finalize the construction schedule. Once the details of the phasing of construction have been confirmed, a public meeting will be held to communicate the schedule and ensure everyone is well aware of how construction will unfold over the two-year project. Construction is expected to be complete in 2014.

A Construction Liaison Committee (CLC) made up of local resident associations, businesses and other groups has been established. The CLC will liaise with the project team, monitor and report on the impacts of construction during the project, and bring forward any issues that may arise.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/widgets_newsletter/read-newsletter/id/31

Thanks. I am subscribed to the newsletter though. I was just wondering if anyone had the actual start date pinned down. This spring could mean any time between now and late June. I didn't see any further update in the March newsletter.

I live on Queen's Quay and I see no signs of this project starting. But then again, there are 78 days left in Spring 2012. I just have a very strong feeling that this time projection will not come to pass considering it has been many many years of red-tape and time wasting....and I see no change in that anytime soon. Considering WT states that this is a centrepiece to their purpose, I am shocked there was no mention of it in their March newsletter - delay or not.

I am sceptical of this ever materializing as well. My main scepticism comes from the recent flurry of development and announcements down at the water front. Buildings are becoming bigger and bigger with more units. We are seeing office buildings which also tends to lead to more cars. I think I am correct that this proposal is essentially getting rid of a lane for a parralel bicycle route. personally Im all for the bike but I cant see how this much intesification is going to work with a loss of road space for cars. I esspecially am sceptical when we have a car oriented mayor. If the project keeps getting delayed it will more then likely simply die rather then move forward. It is kind of depressing since the project looks dang nice in the renders. Of course thats the goal of a render but still.

I am sceptical of this ever materializing as well. My main scepticism comes from the recent flurry of development and announcements down at the water front. Buildings are becoming bigger and bigger with more units. We are seeing office buildings which also tends to lead to more cars. I think I am correct that this proposal is essentially getting rid of a lane for a parralel bicycle route. personally Im all for the bike but I cant see how this much intesification is going to work with a loss of road space for cars. I esspecially am sceptical when we have a car oriented mayor. If the project keeps getting delayed it will more then likely simply die rather then move forward. It is kind of depressing since the project looks dang nice in the renders. Of course thats the goal of a render but still.

Good points. I can only hope that the planners would design access points to parking off of Lakeshore BLVD, in which case leaving Queen's Quay alone. Perhaps doing that could also serve to slowing down the traffic on Lakeshore BLVD so people can cross the BLVD more safely at York, Bay and Yonge to get to the Harbourfront.

Thanks. I am subscribed to the newsletter though. I was just wondering if anyone had the actual start date pinned down. This spring could mean any time between now and late June. I didn't see any further update in the March newsletter.

There were surveyors out doing their thing on QQE today, the project is going ahead!

I've lived in the area for years. It was exciting when they did the "trial run" and the changes were promised ... and delayed ... and promised ... and delayed. There have been many surveyors over the years. Fingers crossed that it's for real this time! One does tend to get skeptical :)

There were surveyors out doing their thing on QQE today, the project is going ahead!

I also noticed gas and water mains have all been marked along Queens Quay. Definitely looks like they are getting prepared.

This is excellent news. I've been living in the area for three years now and the woman I bought the condo from had told me the work was going to begin the year I bought the place. Certainly a lot of delays.

Got to thank Toronto Hydro again for this delay. What transit route has Hydro not screw up the construction schedule?

Since Hydro couldn't get the rate hike they wanted, this project got place on hold. Now some money has been found for them to do the work, it will get underway in a month or 2. 2 years of construction by EllisDon for this first phase.

Once more money is found, the east section can start.

Was on the QQ today for this section and could not find this traffic mess I have being hearing about for years, to the point the 4 lanes should stay to deal with it. Peak time was one of my times.

The streetcars are running on red flag tracks.

The traffic mess exists during times like Caribana or when the Gardiner or Lake Shore is closed. It's not a daily occurrence at all.

Back