Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

What is the purpose of the large planters, with flowers and palm trees or other tropical plants, that are positioned next to the maples along the promenade (particularly on the north/south segment?

I promised an update on the Queen's Quay trees.

I just had the chance today to walk the Yonge to York section.

The good news: Trees on the south side are universally alive, and in fact none in poor condition at all. Maybe 1-2 are 'fair' but the rest range from 'good' to 'excellent' in health.

The bad news: The north side from Bay to York has multiple distressed trees. They are all the same Maple cultivar, I'm not sure which one of the three they planted.

This highlights the importance of selecting a variety of species, because when one particular set turns out to be a failure, you don't want the whole strip barren looking.

There are 3 species in this block, the other 2 are performing decently.

The upside, since we have a clear indication that the reason for failure here was one species choice, it would be easy enough to make a substitution to one of the 2 species performing better in the same block.

That said, I remain convinced that the planting bed is incorrectly designed here, with the individual pits, and that putting a couple of larger open-trench style planters would be advisable, ideally with a significant
curb separating it from the adjoining roadway.

Think Queen's Quay is bad? Don Mills northbound between Fairview Mall Drive and Deerford Drive sees drivers going the wrong way all the time. Happens regularly every two months or so.

Think Queen's Quay is bad? Don Mills northbound between Fairview Mall Drive and Deerford Drive sees drivers going the wrong way all the time. Happens regularly every two months or so.
"Happens all the time". "Every two months or so". Hyperbole! So, out of 1000 vehicles how many do this?

"Happens all the time". "Every two months or so". Hyperbole! So, out of 1000 vehicles how many do this?

Wasn't that about the same frequency as the QQ tunnel incidents? I lived in the DM area so I can tell you it's pretty frequent, relax.

To stop cars from getting all the way to Union can they install some spikes at the bottom of the ramp? At that point the concrete is no longer level with the track so I don't think it would impact the streetcars.

To stop cars from getting all the way to Union can they install some spikes at the bottom of the ramp? At that point the concrete is no longer level with the track so I don't think it would impact the streetcars.

Or you know people could just stop driving into the tunnels? Start charging people who do this. At this point how many warnings are necessary? Charge them for the damage they cause and let the courts figure out just how reasonable it is for someone to drive down a tracked ramp with flashing lights and warnings not to do so.

For clarity here, charges are being laid in most cases for people who end up in the tunnel.

The answer to this problem hasn't changed since day 1; remove the concrete from the rail bed, from York Street to the tunnel.

Replace it with grass or ballast or any other undrivable surface.

Done, problem solved.

Or you know people could just stop driving into the tunnels? Start charging people who do this. At this point how many warnings are necessary? Charge them for the damage they cause and let the courts figure out just how reasonable it is for someone to drive down a tracked ramp with flashing lights and warnings not to do so.

Charge? Strip their license. Impound their vehicle and seize it for damages.

AoD

For clarity here, charges are being laid in most cases for people who end up in the tunnel.

The answer to this problem hasn't changed since day 1; remove the concrete from the rail bed, from York Street to the tunnel.

Replace it with grass or ballast or any other undrivable surface.

Done, problem solved.
This should be done around the bottom of Spadina as well, where they had to paint the tracks red because so many people are too lazy to turn the corner properly and kept driving onto the streetcar ROW.

According to reports, the driver was elderly. I would suggest revocation of the license pending a retest. If you are confused enough to follow a streetcar along tracks, down a tunnel and then all the way to a station, I think it's a fair assessment that you shouldn't be permitted to drive.

Back