Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Anyone know what this is about? Just next to Sugar Beach, who's edge was not similarly fenced. It goes all the way to Aqualina.

They often fence off the dock wall because ships (sugar or otherwise) are scheduled to moor there.
Does this happen regularly? There must be a better way of allowing maritime uses to coexist with the public, beyond sections of the public realm being closed off.

Why is it necessary to replace the 'toe rail'?

What’s there is a remnant from the time of industrial use. It’s rusted and ugly and the concrete at the edges isn’t finished. The toe rail used in other parts of the renovated waterfront is more decorative.

Current:

Waterfront standard toe rail:

Eventually Sugar Beach’s dock will be a boardwalk like at Harbourfront.

I like that the current toe rail is actually a rail from a train track on its side. It's like a little Easter Egg for the area's industrial past.

Finished toe rail.

fullsizeoutput_1536.jpeg

Plus, it seems like the high lake levels are starting to cause real problems along Queen's Quay,
I noticed water in the garage entrance to The Harbourside Condominiums across from the RBC building as the garage door was closing.
Then when I got to the garage entrance at the foot of Bay street I saw this:

fullsizeoutput_153a.jpeg

Extremely glad there’s no fence — that’d be some proper US-style litigiousness.

The absence of a barrier here is wonderful. It's the antithesis of the safety police movements we've seen in waves over the last 2 decades where the TDSB tore out play equipment because it was 6ft tall and not 5ft as someone had deemed safe etc.

Safety is not unimportant, but you can't protect everyone, from everything (especially themselves) all the time; and you shouldn't even try.

I can't reveal some of the guidelines I'm aware of that have been in effect at various times in government; except to say, most were so blatantly stupid that they demanded a move to see them retrenched. (they were)

There should be good information (deep end of pool is here, depth 3M, 9.7ft); there should be sensible precautions, and things should be built to code (next to water, there should be life preservers accessible nearby) .

That should not be an excuse for obstructing the view; preventing wading in the water (where appropriate), or tobogganing either, for that matter.

The absence of a barrier here is wonderful. It's the antithesis of the safety police movements we've seen in waves over the last 2 decades where the TDSB tore out play equipment because it was 6ft tall and not 5ft as someone had deemed safe etc.

Safety is not unimportant, but you can't protect everyone, from everything (especially themselves) all the time; and you shouldn't even try.

I can't reveal some of the guidelines I'm aware of that have been in effect at various times in government; except to say, most were so blatantly stupid that they demanded a move to see them retrenched. (they were)

There should be good information (deep end of pool is here, depth 3M, 9.7ft); there should be sensible precautions, and things should be built to code (next to water, there should be life preservers accessible nearby) .

That should not be an excuse for obstructing the view; preventing wading in the water (where appropriate), or tobogganing either, for that matter.

The most dangerous selfies ever taken, from the Grand Canyon to an active volcano

See link.

Back