Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I get what you're saying, thought the same myself at times, and perhaps some of the proposals do seem a bit frou frou. But this summer really showed what an improved waterfront/QQ can do. It was insane, and I've never seen the waterfront so packed. This is when it somewhat dawned on me that perhaps combining the bike trail with the sidewalk, then running the streetcar down the sidewalk...might not be the greatest idea. Throngs of people wandering in front of moving streetcars, rude cyclists yelling at families with kids in tow. There will be blood. And streetcar reliability / capacity / speeds will be reduced. The success of QQW might be its own worst enemy, and perhaps yet another reason for the "Waterfront Reset" before we tackle QQE.

I think last summer was only busy because of the pan am games. If it's just as bad this summer then I say yes we need to rethink everything Although they do need to do something with the bike trail maybe put railings along it same with the streetcar too at least on the pedestrian side.

I think last summer was only busy because of the pan am games. If it's just as bad this summer then I say yes we need to rethink everything Although they do need to do something with the bike trail maybe put railings along it same with the streetcar too at least on the pedestrian side.

If anything the Pan Am games had a negative impact. I thought that's what hoteliers, restaurateurs, stores, etc all claimed. And it seemed to me downtown was very quiet in the lead-up and during the games. Not surprising, seeing there was a great push for people not to visit the city during that time.

But agreed, I think this summer will offer a better opportunity to see how the redesigned QQW works. Though to prevent liability or injury, perhaps the City/WTO should be ready with a plan to install bollards and paint intersections/streetcar lanes asap if it's apparent by mid-season that there's a problem.

If anything the Pan Am games had a negative impact. I thought that's what hoteliers, restaurateurs, stores, etc all claimed. And it seemed to me downtown was very quiet in the lead-up and during the games. Not surprising, seeing there was a great push for people not to visit the city during that time.

But agreed, I think this summer will offer a better opportunity to see how the redesigned QQW works. Though to prevent liability or injury, perhaps the City/WTO should be ready with a plan to install bollards and paint intersections/streetcar lanes asap if it's apparent by mid-season that there's a problem.

I'm not really sure I did see a lot of poel down by the waterfront during the pan am games be it members from the team or just locals. I think the main problem is if there isn't a big even to attract poel down there what do they go for. The restaurants down there other than a few you can find anywhere in the city. Alos our waterfront isn't as attractive because it's still partially industrial and we don't have beaches in the downtown area.

The area may not be an amusement park, but there's plenty to do down there. Even before the renovations on QQ were finished the water's edge was still very busy during the summer months. The music garden, HTO park, Westjet stage, Harbourfront Center, a number of festivals through the summer, Sugar Beach, bars and restaurants with water's edge patios, etc... were all there before the Pan Am games and even before the renovations on the main QQ boulevard were done. On a nice summer weekend the area was packed, and since the renovations were completed even more so. Anyone who thinks the area isn't well used isn't spending much time down there.

I think some of the waters edge promenade stuff goes into a category of why? What I don't get is how many poel does Waterfront Toronto think it will attract to walk along the water of Toronto Harbour? You won't get a good view of the skyline if you want tha5h you need to go to the island.
I think you may need to get out of East York a bit more and take a walk or a bike ride or even a TTC trip along Queens Quay - there were certainly people there before the new promenade was finished and since then it is really quite busy down there, especially on weekends. I agree that the restaurants could be better but it clearly DOES attract people. (And more and more people actually live there too.)

It was busy down there every year before the Pan Am Games, and before Queens Quay's rebuild. When was the last time you actually stepped foot on the waterfront??? o_O

The Pan Am Games comment is just silly and doesn't really need to be addressed further. Toronto's waterfront was horrendously planned and managed for years and I'm very thankful for the positive impact WT has made and will continue to make on the area, for the enjoyment of both residents and tourists. The waterfront is a unique asset that the city is smart to dedicate resources to improving, and much of it is packed on any nice summer day.

During the Queens Quay ribbon cutting, I recall that mayor Tory said in his speech that the waterfront is our 2nd most visited tourist attraction, surpassed only by the Eaton Centre. To try to doubt the popularity of our waterfront is out of touch with reality. Pan Am games my ass.

During the Queens Quay ribbon cutting, I recall that mayor Tory said in his speech that the waterfront is our 2nd most visited tourist attraction, surpassed only by the Eaton Centre. To try to doubt the popularity of our waterfront is out of touch with reality. Pan Am games my ass.

At the same time, it's a little sad that our most visited tourist attraction is a mall.

At the same time, it's a little sad that our most visited tourist attraction is a mall.

True. But a silver lining is that it's a very attractive and interesting mall. And though indoors / inward-facing, still very much an urban mall that outshines every suburban mall dotting the region. For many years one of the most iconic images of TO was the quintessential Eaton Centre image (that being the massive atrium with the Canada geese hanging).

And plus it's centrally-located, along the subway loop and two key streetcar lines, and adjacent to some historic architecture - so tourists can easily see other nearby attractions and get to experience TO's urban-ness while visiting this mall.

The Eaton Centre still manages to impress the hell out of tourists - especially Europeans.

I wouldn't say it's sad.. But at the same time calling it just a mall is being disingenuous. It's like calling the Grande Place in Brussels, or the Via Monte Napoleone in Milan a mall because there's shops and restaurants lining it. Eaton Centre serves other purposes, and serves them well given our general climate 6 months of the year.

Its been the goal to create a waterfront that can be used 365 days a year, as well support local business.

The question for the BIA and the residents, what business will be supported by the local community and is it the right one???

A number of things are lacking there for everyone such as: Washrooms, drinking fountains, play area for kids, skate park.

When the Simcoe Wave Deck open, something happen that was never vision by the team including the designer, it became a slide right off the bat and to this day. Have videos of opening day and the kids using it as a slide.

From my experience, its bike heaven there now than before and one of the goal to build the missing section for cycles. More people on the street 12 months a year than before. See less blockage of traffic by Tour buses as well cabs, but still getting cabs stopping in the wrong place.

The reason Mall exist is because streets are not built to support shops like Europe, which has a wider choice to shop at. Malls are the furtherest thing for me when visiting other place, as there are other things to see there. They also cater to the car folks than the feet people.

Why wasn't this done during the shut down for construction or something wrong with what was installed??

509 Harbourfront/510 Spadina
Throughout the next two weekends (May 6-8 and May 13-15), the 509 Harbourfront and 510 Spadina routes will divert from Friday at midnight until Sunday at 4 p.m. as TTC crews replace 6,000 ft. of fibre optic cable along Queen's Quay:

- 510 Spadina will turn back at Queen's Quay Loop
- 509 Harbourfront will be replaced by a frequent shuttle bus service, running from the intersection of Bay and Front Sts. to Exhibition Place

Why wasn't this done during the shut down for construction or something wrong with what was installed??

509 Harbourfront/510 Spadina
Throughout the next two weekends (May 6-8 and May 13-15), the 509 Harbourfront and 510 Spadina routes will divert from Friday at midnight until Sunday at 4 p.m. as TTC crews replace 6,000 ft. of fibre optic cable along Queen's Quay:

- 510 Spadina will turn back at Queen's Quay Loop
- 509 Harbourfront will be replaced by a frequent shuttle bus service, running from the intersection of Bay and Front Sts. to Exhibition Place

Are they digging anything up to do this or is it being put up on the poles?

Back