Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Chalk up another for dumb drivers. Flexity 4413 hit an illegal left turn driver on a red at York St today. Took over an hour to get the line open as well the intersection. All cars being short turn at Spadina with 5 sitting behind 4413 empty. Glass still on the road after the car was tow away and never sweep up at all.

We got the notice of the closure east of Spadina as we hit Spadina on the 509, with the driver letting us off on the west side of it. 510 cars were parked at the stop in the first place.

A 509 bus show up as I hit York St, and almost 30 minutes before 2 more show up and never saw an westbound bus at York.

4413 needs some body work and paint, but otherwise it still car run in service until a Hillcrest/Leslie bay opens up to repair it.

Saw another SUV driver turn off Spadina and use the ROW which was bad as the driver turning off Bathurst and using the eastbound road lane.

Cracker Jack License drivers were out in force today. Saw a driver make a left turn onto Bathurst St from the Lake Shore with all kind of cars laying on the horn to tell this clueless driver you can't do it.

The driver of this car was only shaken up.

Just think what this could look like if 4413 was doing normal speed like they should, not the slow speed.

I am starting to think it maybe time to put in crossing barrier, that haven't work that well for Huston.

26713866856_59eba2113e_h.jpg

26739559855_82931fc9cc_h.jpg

26466673580_262baa3b2e_h.jpg

26646008552_596c55c072_h.jpg

Last edited:
When the right-of-way looks and feels like a regular roadway, it is expected. It can be corrected, but the auto-centric bureaucrats (and Councillors) refuse to listen us.

Seems like if they truly were auto-centric they would be bending over backwards to prevent auto accidents like this.

Seems like if they truly were auto-centric they would be bending over backwards to prevent auto accidents like this.
Who, TTC???

Not the responsibility of TTC to do this other than the portal, but Transportation and Work who love cars. Then you have the Province not updating standards like the rest of the world.

Is there a timeline for when that section of the bike path that shares the side walk (just east of Bathurst) will be eliminated? Are there any designs available?
What there is what you get for being cheap and no plans to change it at this time. This is City work, not Waterfront Toronto.

Depending when TTC has to rebuild the tracks west of Spadina grade crossing, that section maybe rebuilt to match the exist section to the east if there is money around for it.

I try to get this section done at the same time as the new section, but TTC wanted $15 million to do the work and Waterfront Toronto had no money to do it.

I know the community wanted it during the EA stages.

I don't really understand the reference to the TTC needing to rebuild the tracks west of Spadina in order to eliminate the conflict between the bike path and the sidewalk. Why would the TTC have a role in making the location I've shown below safer when their tracks work for their operations? When you say "I try [sic] to get this section done at the same time as the new section", were you on the project team during those discussions or are you just referring to your role as a citizen advocate. Just curious.

I've indicate in pictures what I'm talking about. The blue line is the bike path, the orange line is the side walk, red is the TTC right-of-way, and the pink lines is the area that would need to be expanded over Lake Ontario to create more space. This could reduce the conflict area. While there are signs posted asking cyclists to dismount, I doubt many actually do this and I sympathize.

What there is what you get for being cheap and no plans to change it at this time. This is City work, not Waterfront Toronto.

Depending when TTC has to rebuild the tracks west of Spadina grade crossing, that section maybe rebuilt to match the exist section to the east if there is money around for it.

I try to get this section done at the same time as the new section, but TTC wanted $15 million to do the work and Waterfront Toronto had no money to do it.

I know the community wanted it during the EA stages.

wt.png

wt-2.png

I don't really understand the reference to the TTC needing to rebuild the tracks west of Spadina in order to eliminate the conflict between the bike path and the sidewalk. Why would the TTC have a role in making the location I've shown below safer when their tracks work for their operations? When you say "I try [sic] to get this section done at the same time as the new section", were you on the project team during those discussions or are you just referring to your role as a citizen advocate. Just curious.

I've indicate in pictures what I'm talking about. The blue line is the bike path, the orange line is the side walk, red is the TTC right-of-way, and the pink lines is the area that would need to be expanded over Lake Ontario to create more space. This could reduce the conflict area. While there are signs posted asking cyclists to dismount, I doubt many actually do this and I sympathize.

Yes, I been on the team since 2004 and made the recommendation to do it now and not wait tell it had to be replace during the EA. This way, you done everything in one shot than 2, if it does happen now.

The idea was to have this area the same as the east.

That orange triangle area is part of the waterfront edge that is to be done at some date when money is available to do it and forgot the name of it at this time.

Thanks for the reply and clarification. Hope City Council can find the money sooner rather than later to address this issue. I'd even be happy if they came up with a temporary solution.

Thanks for the reply and clarification. Hope City Council can find the money sooner rather than later to address this issue. I'd even be happy if they came up with a temporary solution.

This is part of the Water’s Edge Promenade & Boardwalk (West), that will see the current break wall move to the south and fill in. It will be part of the area to remove the boat tour area and turn it into a park area. Its been at least 6 years or more since last looked at.

The current path leading off QQ will be extended to Yonge St by the Footbridges to be built to the south that are strongly opposed by the condo folks, as will the marina boaters.

This will give you an idea that is still lacking $100's of millions dollars to complete the plan. The money has to come from all 3 levels of government as well section 37. You will notice that the north-south streets are to be upgraded and part of the lack of funding as well.
urbantoronto-7546-26029.jpg
By Urbantoronto

I think some of the waters edge promenade stuff goes into a category of why? What I don't get is how many poel does Waterfront Toronto think it will attract to walk along the water of Toronto Harbour? You won't get a good view of the skyline if you want tha5h you need to go to the island.

I think some of the waters edge promenade stuff goes into a category of why? What I don't get is how many poel does Waterfront Toronto think it will attract to walk along the water of Toronto Harbour? You won't get a good view of the skyline if you want tha5h you need to go to the island.

I get what you're saying, thought the same myself at times, and perhaps some of the proposals do seem a bit frou frou. But this summer really showed what an improved waterfront/QQ can do. It was insane, and I've never seen the waterfront so packed. This is when it somewhat dawned on me that perhaps combining the bike trail with the sidewalk, then running the streetcar down the sidewalk...might not be the greatest idea. Throngs of people wandering in front of moving streetcars, rude cyclists yelling at families with kids in tow. There will be blood. And streetcar reliability / capacity / speeds will be reduced. The success of QQW might be its own worst enemy, and perhaps yet another reason for the "Waterfront Reset" before we tackle QQE.

Back