Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Rob Ford will have to fund this, because the city has been trying to get it's proper waterfront for years. If he said no to this, he would be saying no to something that has been long coming, and he'd lose a lot of fans.

Rob Ford will have to fund this, because the city has been trying to get it's proper waterfront for years. If he said no to this, he would be saying no to something that has been long coming, and he'd lose a lot of fans.
I doubt that many of the Ford fans are all that concerned with publicly-funded waterfront development. Just take a look at this map -- Ford's support was all outside the downtown core, and he didn't win any waterfront wards from between the Humber River to Victoria Park.

From my experience with the whole project, people living along Queens Quay are against it. I've been to a few meetings and its always the residents along Queens Quay who come with complaints about it. Im sure if they complained enough to Rob Ford, he would come out with a whole "You know, people come to me and they say, 'Rob, we don't want to lose 2 lanes of traffic and have our street dug up so it can look nice' so why are we going ahead with it?" argument.

I tihnk we're more likely to get one of his trademarked "We just can't afford it right now"s, followed by some sort of tax cut.

From my experience with the whole project, people living along Queens Quay are against it. I've been to a few meetings and its always the residents along Queens Quay who come with complaints about it. Im sure if they complained enough to Rob Ford, he would come out with a whole "You know, people come to me and they say, 'Rob, we don't want to lose 2 lanes of traffic and have our street dug up so it can look nice' so why are we going ahead with it?" argument.

Ughh, more proof that we have created yet another vertical suburb. Don't these people actually want their surroundings to be less isolated?

From my experience with the whole project, people living along Queens Quay are against it.
If those people are actually property owners, they're incredibly foolish -- this project is a major piece in making the waterfront more accessible and more attractive, and thus increasing private property values.

There's a weird nimby voice on the waterfront. All you have to do is read the Bulletin Newspaper to get a glimpse of it. It's weird because the area is a younger area and it's not like anyone drives. Traffic is always pretty sparse and the number of pedestrians, especially in the summer, is rather high. I don't really know where the nimby-ism comes from, but it's pretty irrational.

The Bulletin is actually more of a St Lawrence Market area publication and it has the WEIRDEST editorial policy and columnists - the only one worth reading is Bruce Bell, the local historian (or story teller). I am not sure it represents anyone except its editor!

I get the sense that waterfront residents don't want to share their neighborhood with the rest of the city. Anything that would attract people there is criticized...

I went to a public meeting regarding the proposed changes to the Gardiner ramps and was quite taken aback by the attitudes of the local residents. You'd have thought that quick expressway connections for their SUVs were mentioned in the Charter of Rights. I'm sure these people are not entirely representative of the local populace, but most of the ones who turn up for meetings have little but scorn for anyone who isn't a Property Owning Taxpaying Resident of the neighborhood, and their only priority for the waterfront is maintaining quick access to the DVP.

What were the demographics like at the meetings? It could be an indicator of who actually complains.

I dont get it, if residents are against it why should it get built :confused: ..same goes for tall buildings, when people go against them they usually get chopped or even canceled.

^ because this neighbourhood isn't a normal neighbourhood. The waterfront is a municipal asset. So what's in the best interest of the city is probably as valid as the people who live in the area currently. (and I live in the neighbourhood and would be directly impacted by this project, so I think it's fair for me to say this).

The Bulletin is actually more of a St Lawrence Market area publication and it has the WEIRDEST editorial policy and columnists - the only one worth reading is Bruce Bell, the local historian (or story teller). I am not sure it represents anyone except its editor!

Well I'm on the waterfront and while St Lawrence is featured a bit more, it is the waterfront's "local" paper. You're right though that it's pretty crazy. Bruce Bell is awesome.

Back