Toronto Queen & Ashbridge | 60.15m | 17s | Context Development | Teeple Architects

1602733406686.png

Is this the project being marketed ridiculously as "Coastal Queen East?" Do lakes even have coasts? Don't they have shores? And am I missing something or is this project neither on a coast nor on a shore?

Semantics I suppose. However this will be a great addition to the neighbourhood. with its shops and presence. Assuming this is near the Lakeshore' and it's not an eyesore ;-)

Is this the project being marketed ridiculously as "Coastal Queen East?" Do lakes even have coasts? Don't they have shores? And am I missing something or is this project neither on a coast nor on a shore?

Better than projects on Gerrard and even Danforth being marketed as 'Upper Beach'. LOL

Right, it's just a 1.5km -3km stroll away

Last edited:
Lakes have shores and oceans have coasts, but marketing is typically fanciful, and not the only place where you'll find allusions in writing. Because they are atypically huge for lakes on this planet, the Great Lakes have often been compared to inland seas, so yes the term coastal has been applied to their shoreline areas before. In regards to how far from the shore can 'coastal' apply? Well, if there isn't substantial development between you and the water, or if the water can be seen from the windows and balconies, it's not a stretch to apply it here.

Better than projects on Gerrard and even Danforth being marketed as 'Upper Beach'. LOL

Right, it's just 1.5km -3km stroll away

Agreed that Danforth would be a definite stretch for that moniker. IMO Upper Beaches/Beach Hill should be Kingston Road, but there's a bit of blending with Gerrard among the residential areas in between. Genuinely curious, would you consider Gerrard more in line with Danforth Village?

As a West Ender, I've always lived in a borderline area that can be associated with Davenport, Corso Italia, or Junction Triangle.

Agreed that Danforth would be a definite stretch for that moniker. IMO Upper Beaches/Beach Hill should be Kingston Road, but there's a bit of blending with Gerrard among the residential areas in between. Genuinely curious, would you consider Gerrard more in line with Danforth Village?

As a West Ender, I've always lived in a borderline area that can be associated with Davenport, Corso Italia, or Junction Triangle.

The rail corridor is a fairly material dividing line in terms of area feel.

So Gerrard definitely feels different than Danforth.

There are no streetcar routes north of Gerrard, except for the tail end of same as it reaches Main Stn.

The homes are typically of a different vintage etc.

But Gerrard, particularly once you've topped out, from Woodbine to points east, feels markedly different from the Beach.

Though, as Kingston Road climbs the hill as well, you get a bit more connection east of Main.

I think aside from straight proximity and vibe, the question of connection to an area is one of ease of access on foot.

Gerrard at Woodbine, involves a large hill to the south, and a large hill to the north. So the area stands apart to me.

Gerrard at Coxwell and at Main has a much easier connection to Kingston Rd. (roughly level).

But a connection to the Beach, even at those easier points seems tenuous to me, at best.

Back