Toronto Q Tower | 197.4m | 59s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

435m, if rendered to scale (wtf is a 'foot'??). So with perspective, it would be about the same height as the Skypod.

Unfortunately, 111W57 only exists in NYC, on that street, and at that / this time in history. It's incredibly idiosyncratic and really wouldn't work here.

Thanks for the dreamy image though!

RE: people suggesting other sites in other areas for affordable housing instead of here

I don't really know if this is a good site for it for a variety of reasons, but there's value in having affordable housing throughout the city in every neighbourhood.

E45EBD00-8F74-4A78-86F1-C34CA66C8042.jpeg

So, Canada Lands is now requiring bidders to acknowledge that their bids must have affordable suites, but Cressy is still pushing for some figures to be established…

In the meantime, Adam Vaughan has tweeted this image of what Canada Lands suggests as a potentially acceptable site plan:

(Property line in red. Existing parking garage in heavy black dashed line.)

EA1XiBsXsAYi1-J

Good to see the building would be set back 5 metres from the bike path, allowing 2m for landscaping, and 3m for a sidewalk.

Shout out to everyone who said it wasn't possible to change things and the left shouldn't even try.
I would still argue that the affordable housing money would go much further with a cash contribution here and spending that money in a location that's more affordable to build.. But most buildings would be like that.

Any deal for Queens Quay land will now include affordable housing, seller says

Coun. Joe Cressy was pushing hard for changes to terms of sale for 200 Queens Quay West

Adam Carter · CBC News · Posted: Jul 31, 2019 6:31 PM ET

Federal site on Queens Quay to see new affordable housing after blowback over sale for condos

By Jennifer Pagliaro City Hall Bureau
Wed., July 31, 2019

Any idea how long these processes usually go? Whoever wins this bid will need to apply for rezoning? How long will it take to put shovels in the ground?

They have to sell it first. I don't see developers bending head over heels to pay top dollar for this plan that has both towers directly behind the Waterclub Towers and the west tower's floor plate is manageable but difficult. On top of that, they need to include non market units.

I would still argue that the affordable housing money would go much further with a cash contribution here and spending that money in a location that's more affordable to build.. But most buildings would be like that.

I disagree. The sentiment that affordable housing should be available in every neighbourhood is a good one. It promotes social cohesion by allowing people of different socioeconomic backgrounds to interact more often. It also promotes class mobility by allowing people who are less well off to learn things from successful people by seeing them more often and having opportunities to interact with them.

I disagree. The sentiment that affordable housing should be available in every neighbourhood is a good one. It promotes social cohesion by allowing people of different socioeconomic backgrounds to interact more often. It also promotes class mobility by allowing people who are less well off to learn things from successful people by seeing them more often and having opportunities to interact with them.
It also handcuffs this site to a point where the unsightly garage may remain here for a long long time.

It all depends on how much the government asks for.

Any they ask for is simply going to come off the cost of the land. Which given challenging approvals process and large amount of demolition required here, already probably isn’t sky high.

Where did the 45 and 55 stories numbers come from? Is that what the site is currently zoned for, or would the developer need to go through rezoning, and if so, how does Canada Lands know they will get it? I'm just thinking that if they need to improve the financial viability of a development, could they work with the City to permit more height? Why not 65 and 75 stories?

The financial viability is based on the selling price which hasn't happened yet. It really should not be a consideration for what is the most appropriate density, form and, usage for the site either. There has to be a stronger rationale for greatly changing the site and surrounding dynamics by adding 20 more floors to each towers. That include a forum pet peeve; a table top skyline.

Back